Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3R - CMOS Setting Error

Hi guys,

I built my current rig about 6 months ago, it has been running fine up until this point. I shut it down on Saturday night, and when I powered on Sunday morning - it was making non-standard beeps prior to posting, 3 short beeps, a pause, and then another short beep, then power cycles, and I was in an infinite reboot loop.

So, as every good troubleshooter - I stripped it, rehoused everything, reset CMOS by removing the battery for 5 minutes.

When I booted it up again, I just get 2 short beeps, according to the manual this is a CMOS Setting Error. Then the machine proceeds to restart, 2 short beeps -> infinite loop.

I've tried clearing the CMOS numerous times, although I don't see a jumper on the board - so all I've done is taken the battery out for a period of time. (5-10 mins)

Could anyone offer any other ideas on what to try? I am so surprised after 6 months of continuous usage that my machine would die after being shutdown.

As of yet I have been unable to test with another PSU - I don't want to pay for one if my board just needs RMA'd. I am hopefully going to get the chance to take my box to a friends tomorrow, who has an almost identical build to myself to test all the components.

One interesting point - when I remove all the ram, or just stick at a time, no ram beeps - just the cmos error. It's the same when I remove the gfx card, no beeps for that, just the cmos error.

Any help appreciated!

Edit - one thing I forgot to mention - nothing is overclocked.
    Last edited by willwh; 08-19-2008, 12:55 PM. Reason: More info

Re: GA-P35-DS3R - CMOS Setting Error

Ok, first off 5 minutes is not long enough to clear CMOS. There is a jumper, it is here on your board (Under PCI-E #1 Slot) See image from your manual>>>

Please unplug the PSU from the wall and put a optical or hard driver jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and let it set for 20+ minutes or so. Then put only one stick of ram into slot one and remove the Jumper. Then plug the PSU back in and start the machine. If you get it started then please load optimized defaults and save/apply and reboot. Then be SURE you make any needed Disk changes before trying to go into windows (If you do not do this and you are using RAID your Array will corrupt)

What Ram is this, and have your tested it in another system one stick at a time to be sure one of them is not dead? If not please do so with memtest86+ >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Comment

First, Lsdmeasap, thank you for your help - you seem to be quite the force on these forums.

Unfortunately I've done as you suggested. RAM checks out fine, cleared the CMOS numerous times using the instructions, and still no joy, just 2 short beeps on boot.

I haven't yet had a chance to try with another PSU, might get to later on tonight...

Do you have any other suggestions asides from RMA'ing the board?

I am still stumped after ~6months usage that shutting it down one day would kill it.

Comment

Can you get into the BIOS at all? Do you have a Floppy drive ALREADY Connected and set as a bootable device?

Have you tried with only one stick of ram in slot one, I think you said you did but just wanted to check again.

I can help you do a blind flash if you have a floppy connected, but it has to be already connected before the issue happens.

Otherwise you may have to RMA the board

Comment

Yes, already tried that, and no floppy connected.

I think (as far as boot priority goes, I may have usb hdd as top priority)

Although - I can't get in to bios at all.

Looks like I may have to RMA... :(

Comment

Ya, without a floppy connected and Clear CMOS does not work nor does 1 ram stick in slot one then you will have to RMA the board

Let me know if you need the RMA url

Comment

That would be helpful :)

Thank you very much mate... I saw the appreciation thread for you, and quite right too - you're an absolute star, thanks again!

Comment

Here is the RMA url for US, and all other countries you will have to select country >>>

US >>>
                RMA

All Other >>>
                GIGABYTE

It actually asks for country on the US form so it may be the same for all countries, so I would fill out one of those first. Then email one of the places in your country from the other url as ask to be sure

Comment

Working...
                X