SATA Drive Not Recognized in Win XP Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA Drive Not Recognized in Win XP Pro

just installed Windows XP Pro on my GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo. I have a 160 GB PATA drive that Windows is installed on. I also have a 320 GB Seagate SATA drive that's not yet partitioned, but I want to use for file storage (lots of video) and the page file.

Two questions:
    1. How come Windows Disk Manager only sees 149 GB drive and can I get it to see the whole drive?

2. How do I install the Gigabyte SCSI driver after Windows is installed (I thought I'd set it up during install, but.....)

Hmmmmm...I guess that's actually 3 questions! Too bad.
    Last edited by dedhed52; 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM.

Re: SATA Drive Not Recognized in Win XP Pro

What is with the links in your message? If this is spam it will be removed unless you tell me why it is like that

149GB is 160GB >>>

1,000,000,000 bytes = Decimal GB
    1,073,741,824 bytes = Binary GB

So, one Decimal GB = 0.93132 Binary GB

The hard drive size printed on its retail packaging is a count of the bytes reported in units of Decimal GB. The hard drive size reported by Windows is a count of the same number of bytes, but with different units of measurement, namely the Binary GB.

You can expect Windows to display the size of any hard drive at about 93% of the advertised number of GB (or almost 7% fewer GB)
    SCSI driver cannot be used with SATA or IDE drives. You can install the AHCI Driver for the NON OS SATA Disk though, is this what you mean?

Comment

Sorry. I copied the text from another forum that had set the links. They were unintentional.

Comment

There, I took out the links.

Comment

Yes. I need to install the AHCI driver. Can this be done in Windows? Maybe that's why Windows doesn't report the drive (except in Drive Manager)?

Also, does the GA-MA78GM-S2H BIOS support 48-bit LBA? According to Microsoft, that's what's required to display drive larger than 137 GB.
          Last edited by dedhed52; 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM. Reason: Thought of more info/questions

Comment

No problem about the links, I just had to ask before I edited then out incase you was trying to link something and I was just getting redirected improperly.

Yes it supports LBA48 that is how you are seeing 149GB, All 160 disk will be 149. Same as 250GB disks are , reason stated above. If you want a more in depth read on why this is I can post it for you. But basically it is just a mathematical rounding issue as to why they Say 160 instead of 149. 250 will show up as 232, and your 320 will show up at around 297-8

The drive likely needs to be set active and or formatted. Here is how to do that with windows, a Program would be easier like Paragon Partition Manager or Partition Magic.

1. Right Click your Taskbar and choose Properties
            2. Select Start Menu Tab
            3. In the new windows select the Advanced Tab
            4. Scroll down to the bottom to "System Administrative Tools" and check "Show on Start Menu" (Shown in image below)

Then in the start menu

1. Click "Administrative Tools"
            2. Then select "Computer Management" (As shown below)

Then in this New Computer Management window you should see the disk you are having a issue with, select it and right click as shown in the below image and choose "Mark Partition as Active" >>>

Then you should be able to format it from there, or windows may do it for you soon as you set active

If the above is still failing for you, please take a image of your BIOS page with a camera of the disk settings so I can see if maybe you have something wrong

Here is a "How to" on AHCI install after OS install >>>
            HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums

Simpler Solution posted in Post #2 here >>>
            Getting AHCI and RAID mode working after installing windows - Discussion@SR

But you will likely need to do a reinstall and install it during OS Install, this would be best anyway. But if you would like to do it the simple way and have issues finding the file after install fails let me know and I can download and extract it for you

Comment

FYI, an easier way to get to "Computer Management" is to right-click on My Computer, then click "Manage".

Comment

Yes, I know. Just wanted to post it like that incase others wanted to also know how to enable Admin tools

Comment

Maybe I was unclear. The drive I'm concerned about is the 320 GB SATA drive. The PATA drive is OK.

Comment

So, are you saying you cannot set it active and the format it or what?

If so then here use this Seagate tool to setup disk for first use >>>
                    Seagate Technology - DiscWizard

Choose storage and pick your partition sizes and you will be all set

Comment

The drive is recognized and set Active, but Windows is only seeing it as 149.05 GB when it is a 320 GB drive! I don't know if the SATA controller is not picking it up, or what.

When I run Seagate's SeaTools for DOS, it doesn't even see the drive. It says 2 devices shown, but it only displays the PATA drive.

I tried switching SATA data cables, but no change. I also tried setting the jumper for 1.5 GB/sec (although mobo is supposed to recognize 3.0 GB/sec).

Comment

You only need to post your issues in one thread.

That being said, here is my reply from the other thread >>>
                        Did you not format the drive to NTFS? If not you should reformat it as NTFS

And are you sure you are looking at the correct drive? As a 160GB would show as 149 not a 320

Can you post me a image of Both drives Properties windows from my computer?

Also, you need to run and setup your disk for first use as I stated in my last post here with Disk Wizard, not Seatools. See my link I posted and download and use that tool >>>

Do not worry, this is not your boards error (Unless you still have incorrect BIOS settings) these things are normal with some new drives. And since you are new to SATA you are unfamiliar with it is all

When you set it active, did windows assign it a drive letter? If not you should manually do this from disk management. It may all be fine once you run disk wizard, you will want to choose "For Storage" in there, not a Operating System

Comment

Working...
                        X