Following overclock guide, stuck on memory testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following overclock guide, stuck on memory testing

Figured I ought to start this thread while i'm here. I began using the OC guide on here, but ran into a problem with the memory overclocking. Forgot to list my ram, currently only 1G, the other went dead. Corsair Dominator TWINX2024-8500D 5-5-5-15.

I got through the guide fine until the section on memory overclocking. I set the initial settings in my bios, but my pc wouldn't post. cpu was only are 1.96, but it would slow it down to booot after 1 or 2 reboots. So I know I can't begin testing with the recommended settings. On top of that, to fix this problem, while not accidently skewing my testing results, I'm not sure where to start.

In the guide, the "base" setup has all volts at +0.01. my ram is +0.02 per manufacturer setting (2.1). Although for the memory testing it is implied that teh DDR2/DDR3 volt is the only one that should not be lowered to normal. This is where I'm not quite sure what to adjust.

Lowering the Host Freqency seems to be the obvious choice to me, since that is the only setting adjuted in this section. Although due to the V droop on the board, increasing the volts back to +0.01 might be a more logical answer. I haven't tried this yet to see if it would even work. Finally there is the Multiplier, obviously. Since I do not know why the author chose the initial settings, there may be reason for me to change the multiplier AND the Host Frequency.

I didn't want to skip that section of the guide, I would like to optimize everything as best it can. Currently I'm at 3.38 with core volt at 1.376, I'm not going to push this anymore, was seeing what I could reach today while taking care of other things. both cpu and video are water cooled, Exos II, so my temps are fine. I've stressed it a bit, but only to make sure I wouldn't crash in the middle of something. Time to restart and do this correctly so I would greatly appreciate any input. All I have left right now is to stress my graphics for several hours and probably flash a stable overclock.
    Silverstone case, Q6600 cpu Seagate 300 GB sataII drive x 3, in RAID5. evga 8800gts 640mb gigabyte p35c-ds3r rev. 1.1 Toughpower 750W power supply microsoft mouse and gamepad Saitek keyboard vista home premium x64

Re: Following overclock guide, stuck on memory testing

Did you see the Memory Guide I posted? >>>

You may have some compatibility issues with that ram, so if you are buying new (Because of your Dead one) get another brand if you can.

As for now, I can help you if you give me your full settings you are using now and what you are trying to reach that keeps failing and I will see what I can suggest for you >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours. If anything is missing please add it in

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

thanks LSD. I read through those earlier, very helpful. I did not make any changes, I ended up destroying my Vista install and had to restore an image back to the raid array. I lowered my bios settings prior to this to avoid problems.

It seems a bit pointless now that i think about it, to follow teh entire guide with this ram, since it will get replaced and I'll be back at square one anyway. What I think would be more helpful right now would be the following:

go through the guide and do not just "skip" everything. Use what I can right now from it to help my current OC. I can get specific answers in the meantime.

Use the information here to help ensure settings are optimal. It would probably help to implement these settings, and adjust as I need to, while i'm following the guide. I can adfust in this manner wheree allowable so as to not impact whatever area I am testing. I'll save time by hopefully avoiding some areas where many reboots, or many failures may happen.

Working this way, when I get new ram and have everything in the case arranged properly I won't waste anytime overclocking and I will be fairly certain my outcome will be close to optimal.

I think I will begin by increasing the voltage slightly. If it still does not post, then I will return the to the original settings, and lower the Host frequency.
      Last edited by FILTHYSCUMBAG; 08-19-2008, 11:19 AM. Reason: update
      Silverstone case, Q6600 cpu Seagate 300 GB sataII drive x 3, in RAID5. evga 8800gts 640mb gigabyte p35c-ds3r rev. 1.1 Toughpower 750W power supply microsoft mouse and gamepad Saitek keyboard vista home premium x64

Comment

Ahh, Ok. Well let us know when you get your new ram And I will help you out if you need it.

Did you already order new ram?

Comment

I have not purchased any ram yet. I haven't begun to research it yet either. I'm considering keeping the replacement ram as well and need to factor that in to my decision.

Comment

Ahh I See. Well let me know if you need any help with settings.

Otherwise good luck with your overclocking

Comment

Working...
            X