BSOD When installing Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD When installing Windows

Hi guys, I'm building a system based around a GA-EP45-DS5. Everything seems ok until I try to install windows and about a minute in I get a BSOD. I've noticed the SATA and IDE lights come on and I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. There's also a message mentioning a pci but I've only got a graphics card installed (Gigabyte 8500) Processor is Q9550. Corsair 2x2gb 1066. Seagate Barracuda.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Pete

Re: BSOD When installing Windows

Try it with only 1 stick of ram in slot one.

You likely need some settings adjusted for 2x2GB. tRFC needs to be 52-62 for 2x2GB as well as you need to add +.2-3 MCH Core

If this does not help, please post back with more info

Comment

Ok, just tried it with the one stick in slot one and I'm still getting a BSOD. It happens at the same place into the windows installation. Roughly just before it asks you to format.

This is what I keep getting, same message every time.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08

pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

The only card I have installed is the graphics (Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT 512MB). I don't have another card to try in it's place.

Oh yeah and the SATA and IDE leds are still lighting up momentarily.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Did a real quick google of your problem. I may have found an answer for you. Have a look at this thread if you are trying to install with an older XP disk : PCI.SYS Windows XP pro will not install please help - TechSpot OpenBoards

Spoiler: It looks like petefloyd prolly needs SP2 integrated to get the installl to work.
        Last edited by PrairieDawg; 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Yup that did it alright, all it needed was SP2. You'd think they would mention it in the manual.

Thanks for your help guys, PrairieDawg = Legend, thanks man!

Comment

Nice Fine PrarieDawg. Thanks for the quick help

I often forget to even ask when people say "Install XP" if it has SP2 or not. I do ask though now about Sp2 or SP3, SP0 is so old, but I guess alot of people still do keep the disks around

Comment

Yeah for the time being SP2 is the best way to go for music production. Is there any way I can get my windows disc replaced for a copy with SP2 integrated. Do you think microsoft would oblige or could I try the store where I got the disc?

Comment

No legal way that I know of to get a free XP SP2 disk. Just create your own: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Just thought microsoft would perhaps exchange it seeing as it's only a small upgrade.

Does anyone know a good site or thread regarding optimizing cpu, ram etc. Been doing a bit hunting and found various things like activating the 3gb switch and what not, I don't really want to start dicking around with OC'ing and all that, I'm just wondering if they're any safe tweaks I should know about (possibly with screen shots of BIOS or tuning software) to get the best out my system.

Did a little reading on 1:1 ratio for cpu and ram freq, but still it's all greek at the minute.

Dawg thanks for that link, I was put off by this slipstream lark at first but that site explains it really well. I'll have a crack at it later.
                  Last edited by petefloyd; 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM. Reason: Seen link

Comment

Well MS used to send out SP@ disks for free + Shipping, not sure if they do anymore. If you like I could check. But yeah as said above it is simple to make your own

As for guides, I have pinned a General Overclocking guide, and a Memory info guide. Have you looked them over?

Comment

He, he, yes, I did. Impressive, thanks for Your great work, but You should add a note for noobies about recent Intel 45nm CPUs: 1.55V is max voltage for 65nm CPUs! ;)

Comment

Oh hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Gonna grab myself a copy and go through that beast thoroughly.

One question though, when installing windows should I have hit f5 to specify the HAL myself or does windows determine if it's a quad, multiprocessor or whatever automatically.

Comment

Windows will determin the HAL on it's own. All you will need to do is F6 install drivers if you want to do RAID or AHCI (XP)

Artureal
                          Yeah, I planned to update the thread a bit, and I plan to finish out the memory sticky as well. Just have not had time yet, I am always so busy!

Still no one knows the real max of 45nm though, I just was readin thru this today and am still uncertain myself >>>

Comment

LSD that guide is a work of art, easily the most comprehensive thing I've found on the net.

However I have 2 questions before I feel confident tackling that bad boy;

1. During POST the memory is showing as 4 gig and "memory runs at single channel, sometimes it doesn't show the amount and just shows the single channel message. I'm assuming this isn't good as the ram is dual channel.
                            I'm using corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, Q9550. XP SP2

2. I can't see the full BIOS screen for some reason, did a quich search and there's supposed to be a 'stretch screen' function or something but I can't see it anywhere.

Comment

For Dual Channel you need to insert the sticks into opposite colored slots on the same number per bank. Such as slots 1+3 or 2+4

Hmm I have never heard of 2, What size screen do you have? Can you post a image of how it looks from a camera? Ill also look around for the "Stretch" thing for you tonight when I get home. Please reply here so I will remember

Comment

Working...
                              X