ga-ep43-ds3l bsod after s3 standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-ep43-ds3l bsod after s3 standby

I recently built a new computer using a ga-ep43-ds3l motherboard with an e8400 processor and a nvidia 8800gs video card. I unfortunately have crucial ballistix ram which i see from this forum is a bad choice for gigabyte motherboards. I'm running 4x1gb in vista x64 with no overclocking. Until today, my problem has been that I get bsod that causes a reboot after I bring the computer out of sleep mode. I've tried using several different bioses, f3,f4,f5,f6 (memory wouldn't run in dual channel with this bios), and now the f7e. I get the same problem with each bios. I've checked the ram sticks together, in pairs, and individually with memtest86+, and with the exception of the f6 bios which wouldn't run in dual channel mode, the memory has passed. I've also been able to run prime95 blend for over 8 hours stable as long as the computer hasn't been in sleep mode. I've read some other posts with similar problems and tried messing with some of the memory and voltage timings to make it stable and am still having problems and wanted to know what advice short of getting new ram I could get on this board. Thanks alot for your help and let me know what other information would be helpful

Re: ga-ep43-ds3l bsod after s3 standby

Well it has yet to be proven to me if it is as bad for P45/43 boards as it was in P35

New ram will not solve that issue though, it is a design flaw that they just last month fixed in P35 BIOS's, I expect P45 rolled out with the same flaw and a BIOS update has not been posted yet for P45. See my posts about this here, post #9 shows the P35 S3 Update which just came out >>>

Should you want to try different ram anyway I would Suggest Mushkin or G.Skill or GEIL, but really it wont help in this exact issue I dont think. but if you have the cash it may be worth a try

Have you set your Ram voltage manually to 2.1, and added .2-.3 or more MCH already? tRfc set to 52-65, see if those changes help if you have not already

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried the settings you suggested and they did not help the problem. If its simply a bios error, then I'll disable s3 and wait for a fix. In checking this, I also notticed that the northbridge heatsink is hot enough that I can't put my finger on it for very long even at normal voltage. Is this normal for the p43 chipset?

Comment

Yes, it is a BIOS issue for sure. Took them a year though almost to release a P35 fix, but since they seemed to have found the issue I would assume they will quickly roll out a p45 fix. The more users email them the better. So shoot them a email once in a while

Nope, that is hot. You should either redo the thermal paste which is often too thick and or not properly covered. Or buy a 40MM fan for it or a ThermalTake Extreme Spirit II they are nice!!

If you do redo the paste use NON Conductive paste

Comment

Working...
        X