GA-965P-DQ6 memory and BIOS questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-965P-DQ6 memory and BIOS questions

After two years of flawless operation, my DQ6 rev. 1.0 entered the infamous infinite restart loop on power-up last week. A little debugging turned up a bad RAM module. The RAM has a lifetime warranty so I packed up both modules and RMAed them, but not wanting to wait for the replacements I picked up another matched pair at Fry's ($20 with MIB at Fry's for 2x1GB CL4 800MHz!). Now for the questions:

1) When my replacement memory arrives I'll have four 1GB sticks. Anyone successfully running dual-channel with 4x1GB at 4-4-4-12 2T 800MHz? One pair will be Crucial, the other Corsair; what are the odds that this will work? Both sets have identical timings and are spec'ed at nearly the same voltage (2.2V and 2.1V, but the 2.2V pair works just fine at 2.1v)

2) I normally run with a modest overclock (7x400MHz) at stock voltages and stock cooling. Is the MCH likely to be ok with four sticks and a 400MHz FSB?

3) I haven't updated the BIOS since F6 (current revision is F12). Does F12 overclock ok? Any significant advantages or improvements over earlier BIOSes?

4) Finally, what's up with that resart loop? No beeps or error indications of any kind. What exactly is going on on the board? My very first DQ6 did the same thing, but the problem that time was with the PCIex16 slot and I had to RMA the MB.

System specs:
    GA-965P-DQ6 rev 1.0 F6 BIOS
    E6400 at 2.8GHz (7x400)
    2x1GB CL4 800MHz DDR2, 1:1 with FSB
    Windows XP Home SP3
    Radeon X1900XTX

Thanks!

Re: GA-965P-DQ6 memory and BIOS questions

First off sorry to hear about your fried ram!

Yes you can run 444-12 with 4x1 with the proper settings. Those ram should not be sued together at all, all you will do is in the end give yourself a HUGE headache. Sell off one or the other and either buy another 2x1 set or buy a 2x2 set and sell the other set as well when the 2x2 set arrives

Although they may be the same specs kinda, different Chips are used in them so they will not function together at all properly. You will have BSOD's often and likely end up corrupting your files or worse

956P is hot, you may want to invest in a ThermalTake Extreme Spirit II for your NB, I did for mine when I had a 965 and it was very impressive.

As for your BIOS questions, Not sure which is the best these days as most everyone uses p35 at least. DO NOT USE @BIOS if you plan to flash, use Qflash

I was using F10 and F12 on my 965P a year ago and they were both fine. There has been many improvements over the BIOS you have now So I would suggest to at least use F10 or F12. Yeah F12 worked fine for me, I dont remember what I ran at but I didnt have any issues with it

Well do you mean continuous loop or double or triple reboot? A continuos loop means the BIOS bootblock is bad and you either need to try some recovery options or RMA the board.

A double boot is normal if you make changes in the BIOS. A triple boot means that the changes you just tried were incorrect (Not enough volts to something, or to much. Or incorrect ram timings) so the board has set back to default.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll just have to build another system with the extra memory.

Never had a problem with the MCH overheating, system has been unbelievably stable with 400MHz FSB. However, I'll be adding another case fan to blow air on the RAM (on the off-chance that high temps ultimately caused the failure), and the same fan will also provide extra cooling for the MCH. New RAM is rated for 500MHz at CL5 and 2.2V; maybe I'll try for 6x500 (stock cooling on the E6400 is limiting my OC options).

By infinite restart loop I mean continuous power on, power off. No post, no video, no beeps, nothing. Loop continues until the power is shut off via the switch on the PSU. During debugging I tried resetting the CMOS (even removed the battery), re-seating the graphics card, disconnecting the hard drives, etc. No joy until I popped out the bad RAM, then system posted (and booted) just fine.

Comment

If you do use 2.2V on the ram (Which is the warrantied amount by the way, not what it HAS to have to run stable) Please for sure use a Fan on the ram as 2.2 is very hot for DDR2. I am sure you know this already, just had to say incase anyone else reads this who may not know

Ahh well yeah A bad Ram Module can cause that as well, it is working now then right?

If you do get a 2x2 set you will need to raise MCH Voltage and set Refresh to Act Delay (tRfc) to 52-62 or so. Just incase you get some down the road

Comment

Working...
        X