Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC is constantly BSOD after attempted OC'ing. PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC is constantly BSOD after attempted OC'ing. PLEASE HELP!

Here is my system specs:
    I have a C2D E7200, a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G motherboard, and OCZ 4GB PC6400 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 RAM with a XFX Geforce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition.
    Here is my websites for the motherboard and RAM:
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-S3G
    OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Dual Channel

I have tried to use EasyTune5 after the BIOS values refused to POST, now all that it will give me is the BSOD on the Windows loading screen, I have reset the CMOS and everything and reset the values in the BIOS and I do not know what to do.
    PLEASE HELP ME
    Thanks
    Also when it BSOD's the PC shuts itself off, it is not up long enough to see the error message.
    Last edited by mkil5; 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM.

Re: PC is constantly BSOD after attempted OC'ing. PLEASE HELP!

Remove all but one stick of ram and see if you can get in the BIOS then. Once you do, See my reply to you here about overclocking. >>>

Easytune is not the way to go, you want to do it in the BIOS

Comment

Yeah I did that initially but I couldn't get a post, so I just went into EasyTune and did small increments. I removed one RAM stick and still BSOD.
      I have no clue what do do?
      Is something fried?
      BTW it is BSOD'ing in both Vista 64 and Xp 64

Comment

You can get in the BIOS right? If so, please load "Optimized Defaults" then save and apply, and reboot back into the BIOS and make the changes needed for your Disks/OS. Do not go right into windows after doing this as you may corrupt your disk if you are using a RAID array, make all disk related changes before going into windows.

Be sure you do not have Static tRead set to 6 while you are in the BIOS as well

Comment

I did that, still BSOD and shuts off before I can get an error code

Comment

You may need to do a repair install to your windows then

Comment

Yeah I went into partition magic and it said something about my HD having an error, so I had to go in and just did a fresh install of XP. Its working fine now. Thanks for all of the help.
              I'm going to go back to the drawing board tonight and work from within the BIOS.
              From my post here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/plea...locking-27332/ what do you recommend starting out as? I want to just keep increasing the FSB until I need to increase voltage. By how much do you think I should increase the FSB at every time and approximately how often should voltage be increased and by how much.
              I am just going to try to get my max OC little by little.

Comment

Ahh, well a in place XP repair would have been easier. But at least you got it!

The settings I listed there are for 3.8. Just set it with that, leaving all the ram settings at the higher numbers I listed until you find out your Stable CPU voltage.

As it is it may or may not work, but with the highest numbers I listed there your ram will not be the cause of errors or a NON boot, It would be the CPU voltage.

Just keep raising the CPU Voltage until your stable, Keeping a eye on temps

I work backwards myself. What I do is test out a super high FSB with a low multi to find the max of the CPU and boards FSB and see what voltages that needs. Then I go back and raise the CPU Multi and start lowering the voltage back down until It fails. Like with my E3100 (Same as E8400) I started it out first boot with 500 FSB X 6 and found it would go still go higher FSB. But I just noted that voltage and went back and set Multi back to 9 and started in with 475 FSB and worked from there.

It is all up to you how you want to do it, But just set the ram settings high so that if you get errors or things fail you know it is not the ram. Then once you have your CPU stable you can work on the ram.... Which takes a bit longer

If you would just like to do FSB jumps then I would jump by 10-15 or so at a time, starting after 375. And you could also make it easier and just use the 9 multi and no .5 fine clock

Comment

I have tried and tried and I cannot get anything to even post. I have just got done trying to OC a 333MHz FSB with a memory multiplier of 2.4 to keep my RAM at 800MHz, then the only other thing other than the voltage I changed was the PCI-E clock, which I kept at 100 everytime.
                  I tried all voltages from 1.2 with 0.25V everytime up until 1.3625V (which is what intel has on their site of this page for the VID Voltage Range) and not once did I even get my PC to post. I was wandering if I was doing anything wrong or what step should I take next?
                  Thanks

Comment

Do you have EIST and C1E disabled? You must!!

Also did you change Performance Enhance to Standard? Default is Turbo, and is not going to help with overclocking any for sure. Must be on Standard.

For now If I was you I would set ram to 555-15 until you get a bit more CPU stable, then mess with the ram. Still though be sure to Manually set the ram voltage and add +2-3 MCH Core. And Refresh to Act Delay set to 62 for now as well

Comment

yeah I had all of those settings disable and at first performance enhance was on turbo, but I changed it to standard, still no post...
                      I have tried 333 FSB with 2.4 memory multiplier from 1.15V to 1.3625V with 0.0125 increments (correct settings you gave me), no post
                      I even tried 320 FSB I think it was with 2.5 multiplier (gave me 800MHZ on my RAM) from 1.15 o 1.3625 with 0.025V increments, no post
                      I just tested the standard 266MHZ FSB, it posted fine on the standard 1.15V and even at 1.3625V
                      Did I just get the worst E7200 in the world with OC'ing? Would reapplying Arctic Silver help me out any? I even have an aftermarket CPU air cooler, it is not a great one, but than the stock one Intel gives you which people are getting some pretty decent OC results with.

Comment

Hmm can you post me some pics of your MIT page? Just want to look it over incase you are missing something.

No arctic silver redo wont help at all, It could help with temps possibly but that isnt the issue here I dont think.

You should not even need more then 1.25 I would think for 333 FSB and your CPU should for sure do 400+ FSB with less then 1.36

Can you try it with only 2GB of ram, is this 2x2 or 4x1 I forget. If 2x2 try one stick, ir 4x1 try two in slot 1+3. I say this because OCZ does not play well with GA boards and I just wanted to see how it would do with only 2GB

Comment

It is dual channel 2x2GB memory. Here are the pics from 333MHZ with only 2GB memory (no post).

Comment

Manually set Refresh to act delay to 62, manually set DDR2 overvoltage to +0.3, and manually set MCH Overvoltage to +0.2

Try the above with only the one 2GB stick in slot one and let me know what happens

If that fails you either have DOA ram or it is not compatible with your board, Which I say it isnt but some get them to work just fine. Have you tested the ram with memtest86+ on a different board?

You could also try a reflash of F4 BIOS, this sometimes helps as well. >>>
                            GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS Download (GA-P35-S3G *F4*)

If you do, be sure to NOT Use @BIOS use Qflash or DOS, and be sure to load optimized defaults after the flash, then save apply and reboot and then go back in and make any disk changes you need to make. Then try again

If you are not using F4 right now then that is likely also part of the issue. To know what version you are using on the Main Page of the BIOS I think F9 will tell you. If that is wrong and you cannot figure it out let me know and I will reboot and look for you

Comment

Well I did the flash to F4 BIOS, turns out that I was only using F2. Still now luck with OC. I cannot remember what exact voltages I used for 333 FSB, but I never got anything, I tried it all over the place.
                              However now I am able to see the post screen before the system powers itself off.
                              I did not try with 2GB of RAM yet though.

Comment

Working...
                              X