Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-X48T-DQ6 Intel SATA or Gigabyte SATA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48T-DQ6 Intel SATA or Gigabyte SATA?

After the excitement of flashing my board with the F5 bios I decided to reload the OS and basically build up from fresh. I have some questions and thank everyone in advance for replying:

1. Should I use the Intel or Gigabyte controller for my RAID0 config (dual seagate 500GB sataII 7200 rpm) ?
    2. If I was to use 4 hardrives for RAID0 should I use the Intel controller or get a controller card?
    3. Even if the Intel controller is better, does it already have too many tasks to run the raid array with significant performance?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Vertigon; 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM.

Re: GA-X48T-DQ6 Intel SATA or Gigabyte SATA?

If you want to use 4 HD's you will have to use the Intel chip as the GA chip is only on the 2 Purple ports and you cannot span a RAID array across the two controllers.

If you only choose to make a 2 disk RAID the GA/J.Micron Controller is faster in my tests

Not sure about your third question as I only setup the Intel controller three times for testing and found it slower (With no other tasks on it) then the Gigabyte controller so I always use it.

I use 2x250GB Seagates incase you wondered 32k Stripe, but the stripe size wont matter either as I tested 3 different sizes all faster on the GA controller.

Comment

OMG!! I posted that not to long ago and already I have a reply! Lsdmeasap, I am going to miss you when you become the CEO of Gigabyte and don't have time to come to this forum! I think Tweaktown should get you into a cloning program before it's too late!

Thanks for all of that. I use to have a 64K stripe and now went with 128K, it's slower. I will do as you suggest and use the GA controller.

Comment

HAHA

Thanks

I likely would have answered you earlier actually but jumped out to watch some of the Olympics. Yeah, I would imagine 128k is too big, but It does depend on what you mainly use your system for and how large of things you move around as well.

I always use 32 or 64. I did test 16, 32, and 64 all faster on the GA chip. I used to use 128 myself but not for a long time.

But as you likely know each users system will perform differently because of other hardware involved (Ram and NB and Drives). But I have tested 965P and P35 in my RAID tests and GA was the winning chip

Comment

Thanks again Lsdmeasap, I hope your enjoying the Olympics. Go Australia!!

Comment

Yeap, anytime. Good luck with your testing or if no testing (I know doing some RAID tests takes a bit of time!) Good luck in setting up your new RAID/System.

Ya, I like the winter Olympics better but still like some of the Summer games. I really liked the Opening show, China did a KILLER job on the opening for sure. If you missed it try to catch a rerun or find a video it was very cool

Comment

Working...
            X