Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45C-DS3R memory errors.

Hi guys,

I just bought a bunch of new components as my old pc died (turned out it was just the power supply, but I didn't know that at the time!).

I now have a EP45C-DS3R running the F4b bios (I tried F2 and F3 as well), with TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX memory (4G of DDR2 800), Thermaltake tough power 850W power supply and a E8500.

This is sadly completely unstable and is unable to pass memtest. As soon as we hit test2 it starts to explode and gives me thousands of errors before hardlocking. I tested both sticks independently and got many errors.

I tried to test my old RAM but the dying power supply seems to have fried those, so that wouldn't work.

I took the new RAM to work and tested there and so far it's flying through memtest with no errors. My old RAM still fails at work, so that's definitely dead.

I got vista to boot (my previously installed copy) on the EP45C, and ran prime95 with the option to just stress the cpu. This shot the temps up by 10c to 36c, where it stayed steady and happy with no crashes. I then changed modes to 'blend' which tests the RAM as well and it crashed within seconds.

I've tried leaving all the memory options to stock, with STANDARD set for the profile stuff, and just tweaked the voltage to 2.1v as requested by Corsair. As the memory works at work I can only conclude the motherboard has a damaged memory controller.

I tried tweaking up MCH Voltage (to 1.2 I think) and that didn't help stablity. Is there anything else I can do before I attempt to RMA this board?

Re: GA-EP45C-DS3R memory errors.

Is this 2x2gb of ram? If so you may need 1.3 MCH, you should also set trfc to 52-62 and be sure static Tread Value is set to 7-10. XMP Disabled as well
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Is this 2x2gb of ram? If so you may need 1.3 MCH, you should also set trfc to 52-62 and be sure static Tread Value is set to 7-10. XMP Disabled as well
      Edit: that was rude, and I posted on the wrong place. Thanks for your help!
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Did you try the settings I suggested? The same will apply to a Asus board as well
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Did you try the settings I suggested? The same will apply to a Asus board as well
          I'll give them a shot as soon as I'm home from work and see if it helps at all. :)

Comment

It should for sure if you have not already tried to adjust those as you for sure need to for 2x2GB of ram.

Good luck, post back and let me know how it goes for ya

Comment

Make sure, You've put RAMs into correct slots for dual channel. Disable EPP and enable manual DRAM Timing; set them 4-4-4-12-2T at 800MHz with 2.1V. They simply must go!

Comment

Originally posted by artureal View Post
                Make sure, You've put RAMs into correct slots for dual channel. Disable EPP and enable manual DRAM Timing; set them 4-4-4-12-2T at 800MHz with 2.1V. They simply must go!
                I put them both in the yellow sockets, then red. Then, I did one of each. I have set up my RMA as I suspect it is broken, but I will try all the tweaks here and report back.

Comment

Hi,

I tried all of the settings listed above with no luck. Then, after taking the motherboard out I tried to boot it with just the power supply, graphics, ram and processor plugged in and it wouldn't even post properly at that point.

Definitely broken and all boxed up for returning!

Comment

Sounds like maybe you did have somethings shorting out then. Good luck with your RMA or return.... And whatever new decision you make

Comment

Working...
                    X