EP45-DS3R BIOS Settings Explanation Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3R BIOS Settings Explanation Needed

Can someone please explain the difference between "Auto" and "Normal" when applying settings in a Gigabyte BIOS? I have the EP45-DS3R and am curious if I should set my MCH Voltage at "Auto" or "Normal." When I put an actual number my computer suffers from freezing up, including using Memtest. With Auto and Normal everything passes so I'm just confused if there is an advantage or disadvantage to using one or the other? If you have any knowledge, please respond. Thank you.
    Components:
    Motherboard: EP45-DS3R: Rev#:A2
    BIOS Version:F11e
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 (@ 3.4GHz)
    Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066, 8500C5. Includes Corsair Fan
    Power Supply: Corsair TX750
    Video Card: XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)
    Sound Card: Soundblaster XFi PCI Express
    Cooling System: Zalman 9700
    Hard Drives: WD Velociraptor (300GB), WD Raptor (150GB)

Re: EP45-DS3R BIOS Settings Explanation Needed

Auto adjusts with overclocks, normal uses stock settings at any speed. You should not have crashes with manual voltages unless you have set the voltages too low.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadeater View Post
      Auto adjusts with overclocks, normal uses stock settings at any speed. You should not have crashes with manual voltages unless you have set the voltages too low.
      Rightly said.

Are you having issues or just wondering?

I can say you should not be using AUTO if you are overclocking, and if you are using 2x2GB of ram you will need to manually add some MCH above and beyond the Normal range

If you need any more help or suggestions feel free to post back

Comment

Ok...it looks like I got some settings to stick...although now I just need to figure out settings to get a stable overclock of an Q9450 at 3.4GHz. 3.2GHz is fine but I haven't been able to get it to pass Prime 95 (even for a minute) at 3.4GHz. It relates to my initial question because I've learned that many of the voltage settings are dependent on other voltage settings. When I was simply increasing the CPU Vcore there was no change. It wasn't until I also manually adjusted the CPU Termination and CPU PLL that I saw it increase. My motherboard also has some Vdroop and that plays a part in arriving at a final CPU (or DRAM) voltage. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next to get a stable overclock at 3.4GHz? I've gone as high as 1.3V on the CPU and it still didn't work. Could it also be failiing because of memory voltage (currently at 2.13V for 8GB) or MCH voltage (currently at 1.2V in the BIOS...don't know what it actually is with Vdroop).
        Components:
        Motherboard: EP45-DS3R: Rev#:A2
        BIOS Version:F11e
        CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 (@ 3.4GHz)
        Ram: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066, 8500C5. Includes Corsair Fan
        Power Supply: Corsair TX750
        Video Card: XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (512MB)
        Sound Card: Soundblaster XFi PCI Express
        Cooling System: Zalman 9700
        Hard Drives: WD Velociraptor (300GB), WD Raptor (150GB)

Comment

Yes, I would add some MCH voltage and maybe start with 1.325 CPU and work your way down on that later if you want. That should be ok for ram voltages, for 8GB you are going to need to set trfc to 62+ likely as well

Comment

Working...
          X