GA-MA770 DS3 - Random reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA770 DS3 - Random reboots

As the topic states, I've been having random reboots on my system, ever since I upgraded my CPU and MOBO.

My Full System Specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+
    Gigabyte MA770 DS3 running with F6.
    2GB PC5400 Corsair RAM @ 1.9V
    Sapphire x1950 pro Ultimate
    650W TX650W Corsair PSU

Installing CPU drivers/dual core optimizer makes no difference. I started bios version F3, and it still happened there. I've tried formatting and reinstalling numerous times, it doesn't help. There is no pattern to the rebooting, and there is no log in the event viewer.
    It's the not the temperatures either. It just happened, and my first core was around 32-33C, and second 23-24C.
    I've also tested the ram with memtest86... so it shouldn't be them either.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jackcolt; 07-29-2008, 09:39 AM.

Re: GA-MA770 DS3 - Random reboots

Anyone?

Comment

Jackcolt....any solutions?

I have been fighting what sounds like the exact problem for 5 days. Trying to build a new system. Same CPU, Same board..different memory.

I am using OCZ 4GIG 1066 (two-2G sticks).
      I am also using Vista 64 Ultimate as OS. brand new OEM version bought w/setup
      I also went back and bought a 850W power supply and a 1300VA UPS...still having problem.
      Case is Cooler Master CM690.

Video is XFX 8800..(something..512mg Mad Dog Version)

It seemed like for about a day that it happened only when I opened 32-bit version of IE..now it has happened with other apps or just sitting idle.

Using two brand new Maxtor 1T drives, I tried as RAID1 and as plain SATA drive...powers off in ether configuration. It doesn't seem to be the Raid driver.

I started with F5 bios and went to F6.

I opened a support ticket with Gigabyte tonight...no answer yet.

Well at least I not going crazy if its happing to you too.

Comment

Does it happen regularly? It might not be the same though... mine usually happens once between 7 and 14 days. I've tried once where it was happened only 3 days after the previous one.

Comment

Over the 5-6 days I have been building this system it has happened probably a dozen times or more.

I found on another forum a tread discussing the voltage being supplied to the memory. I lost the thread/forum I was reading last night...looking for it again.

Right now I am setup w/o Raid 1 , just pure SATA as IDE, running Vista 64 Ultimate, I boosted the DDR voltage in bios to 2.00 and so far no reboots or power outages.

Turns out my memory is OCZ Platinum DDRII 1066 memory and on their website they suggested the memory get 2.1 to 2.2V. My board was sending 1.87 by default...I am a bit squimish when it comes to overclocking so I am tring 2.00 first.

So far all evening no crash. I even got Office 2007 ent fully installed(twice just for fun and test)...I will post the forum if I can find it again. It could be the lack of RAID 1 driver too. If this is stable for a few days I will blow it away and start over.

What is the Voltage you are giving your DDR?
          I downloaded EasyTune6 from Gigabyte website to watch my CPU temp and voltage in while in vista, it helps but not real clear.

Comment

Found the tread I refered too in my last post

EggXpert.com - Hardware problems with Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Comment

With these mainboards these days it most times just voltage adjustment/s... (but don't expect them to hold)

Jackcolt: Give your CPU a slight voltage nudge but it shouldn't hurt your memory either if you have good airfow through your case.

Randman6111: Sorry but I've yet to have time to even think about try 64bit anything so maybe voltages but then again maybe not (have you tried a roll back yet?).

Comment

nudge up? I got a Antec 900 case running on medium on all fans. I'd say my airflow is pretty good.

Randman:

Haven't read all the of the thread, but if it's a BSoD, you could try analyzing the crash dump(or upload it somewhere then I can do it for you). My problem is that it's a clean reboot so to speak. No BSoDs, no entries anywhere about anything. Just as if I had pressed the reboot button on my case.
                Last edited by Jackcolt; 07-30-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Update: But no clear solution.

Wayout44...I am building new system from scratch w/Vista 64 Ultimate.

Jackcolt...I am not getting BSod either...just like reset button is pushed..sometimes it doesn't come back with out pull cord on ps and waiting a minute.

Where I am...I wiped clean started over...NO RAID, SATA is set in bios, w/two Maxtor 1T drives, deleted the partitions, create new partitions using all of drive space, set bios to give memory 2.00 volts. Install Vista 64 Ultimate, XFX GeForce 8800GT drivers, Office 2007 ent, did all the windows updates, install avg free virus scanner...ran without a hitch for about 30-36 hours. I should have been satisfied but...

Well I really want RAID 1...so today I wiped clean again, setup RAID 1, blew away the existing MBR, create new partitaions (1st-100Gig, 2nd 890GIG) left Bios at 2.0v for memory. Install Vista 64 Ulti, same XFX driver, Office 2007 ent, start update and boom reset...finsihed updates..reset again...install avg..reset again...tried to update the Vista AHCI RAid driver. AHHHHHHHHHh!

So I went back to SATA for drives in bois, start up Vista, Vista found and install new SATA drivers, wanted to reboot-ok. though I may be stable again..boom reset...tried to open System info...walked away from PC for lunch..reset while I was gone.

As I type..I have blown away the partitions again, confirm SATA in bios, 2v memory, split partitions 100G and the test 890something, Currently install vista (I almost have the product key memorized--that is way too many re-installs!!)

Conclution....either the RAID 1 AMD AHCI driver is pure junk or Vista 64 Ultimate doesn't like a partitioned drive.

I figure with two more install I will know......

Comment

One other not my system is running very cool...I have a Cooler Master Case w/4 120s blowing (5 when the cover is on)...and for CPU I invested in a Zalman CNPS9700LED. I haven't seen my cpu get above 40c..an it is usually lower than the system temp by 2-3degree c.

I am sending 1.424V to the CPU Vcore---Normal Bios setting..no changes
                    Northbridge 1.20V Normal Bios setting
                    Southbridge 1.10V Normal Bios setting

What is safe to increase?

I'm not a overclocker so I could really use some sound advice here..thks

Comment

Jackcolt: I have the P35-DQ6 with a similar problem. It powers up for about 5 seconds and quits. I worked with Gigabyte technical support and they told me to send it to them. They are telling me 2 -3 weeks to repair it. A long time to be without my primary computer. I have found these problems on other MB forums.

Jim

MB = Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
                      Proc = Core 2 Duo E6750 with Aquastar Liquid Cooling
                      Mem = Corsair Dominator 2 GB
                      Video XFX GeForce 8600GT 256 MB
                      Drives = Barracuda 7200, 320 GB and WD Caviar 7200 320 MB
                      Case = Raidmax Smilodon
                      Power = Raidmax 500 watts
                      Windows XP Service Pack 3

Comment

Hello, my friend has the same motherboard (GA-MA770 DS3) with a 6000+ and AData DDR2800 with a 6600GT. It does what Jackcolt says, once a week or so, it just restarts while playing Quake Wars. Tried bumping up the memory voltage, but still restarted the other day. He has the Antec 300 series case with the fans loaded. Just not sure what to do, he was considering trying new memory or new video card.

Comment

Do you have the ram set to the Specified voltage on the ram sticker? If not, that is what you likely need to do

Comment

Sorry to reply so late, but its my friend's PC. I had him try setting the timings, but the automatic timings for his RAM were set to 5-5-5-18. So he didn't think it was that because they were so high, so he upped the voltage on the processor and this has seemed to work so far, no reboots for a week now.

Comment

Sounds good then, just remind him to watch his temps

Comment

Working...
                              X