Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time for every thing...

Hello,

This is my first post and first time user of a Gigabyte Mobo.

I'm what you can call a very big NOOB regarding OC-ing any system I had in the past (never had the guts to try it ) but I've read and heard so many good things regarding Gigabyte Mobo's and the Intel E8400 that I'm willing to try to OC this particular system.
    I've also bin told my Coolmaster Hyper 212 is a average to good cooler which should do nicely on OC-ing my rig.

These are the spec's on my new pre- built system:
    Case: Antec Performance one P180 (3x120mm fans)
    PSU: Coolmaster RealPower 850w
    Mobo: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
    Processor: Intel E8400
    Cooler: Coolmaster Hyper 212
    RAM: Corsair 4Gb Dominator
    Vid-Card: Sapphire HD 4870 CF
    HDD: Seagate 500Gb Sata 2

From what I heard 3.4 or even 3.5GHz shouldn't be any problem for this CPU with aircooling.
    The system will be driver updated... basically, Plug and Play once I get it hooked up but I doubt the company will flash my bios for me if needed. (This I've done a long time ago with Asus Mobo's using the tool that came with it ).

Is there any one who could explain to me (in plain English) how to go about OC-ing my new rig to this hight?

Many thx in advance for the feed back.

Regards,

CD

Re: First time for every thing...

Well, first you may need a old 775 CPU (NON 45nm) to flash in a BIOS that will work with that CPU. Only way you will know if that CPU works though is to just put it in there and try it out. If you do need to flash, read your manual about using Qflash and use it.

DO NOT USE @BIOS!!!

Yeah, it is all pretty easy to overclock as long as you have some general knowledge. Read thru the guide I pinned and get some know how about things a little bit. Then when you get your system all put together I will be more then willing to post you some starting sets of timings

Just so you know, 4Ghz is easy on air with that CPU.

Let me know when you get it built and I will post a BIOS template of settings for you to get started with

Comment

Thx a lot...

I will do so... I've looked at the Gigabyte Bios page and I should need the newest Bios to be able to run the CPU... therefor I presume It will have to be the F7 Bios.
      I'll ask them when I collect the rig...

Comment

Here is where you need to look, CPU Support list >>>
        GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-X48-DQ6

It shows F6 supports your CPU and is the first one for your board, so your board should ship out with that. The F7x one is a beta and is only needed by the lesser dual core 45nm CPU's (E8300, E7200, & E7300).

So, you should be good to go.
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I'll check it tonight.. @ work atm... heck, there's nothing to do here anyway.. i'll look at it now :)

Conserning the RAM... well... errrm.. its their problem as they are the ones who are building / testing it before releasing it and they are the ones who adviced me on taking them in the first place.

I should have the rig before the end of this week, most likely it will be next Saturday.

Comment

Well good luck with it all, like I said some do get them to work fine but not alot that I have seen.

Not saying that it is bad ram at all, just that the brand does not play well with GA boards

But hey, if they built it, you can tell them later when you get it that it dont work proper if that is the case. Right? If they wont do anything and make you pay for new ram I would suggest that you try to get different ram used for the build now while you possibly still can

Comment

When you say "don't work properly" what are the signs to look for?

Edit: (list of 2x2Gb modules at the store)

http://www.alternate.nl/html/summary...direction=desc
              Last edited by C DuDe; 07-21-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I mean you can never find stable points at stock clocks or overclocks. Thus incompatible

If those on that page are all you can choose from, I would get Geil

Comment

This leaves me with these options:

GeiL 4 GB DDR2-1066 Kit (Retail, Black Dragon, GB24GB8500C5DC)
                  going at 129,- euro's

Edit:
                  GeiL 4 GB DDR2-1066 Kit (Retail, GX24GB8500C5UDC)
                  going at 129,- euro's

GeiL 4 GB DDR2-1066 Kit (Retail, Black Dragon EVO ONE, GE24GB1066C5DC)
                  going at 149,- euro's

Hmmmmz, I kinda maxed out on the purchase already and I need a new AntiVirus/Internet security (going to try G-Data for a change) as I'm fedup with Norton.
                  Last edited by C DuDe; 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Great,

looking on the site of Geil for references and the above module doesn't exist... Only the EVO ONE does.
                    Last edited by C DuDe; 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Got the new rig!!!!

I think it's best for me to wait a few months before I start the OC procedure as I really have to get to now the new OS... It's a maze for me at the moment.
                      After that, when I'm satisfied the rig runs the way it should, I'll start OC-ing.

Untill later!!!

Comment

SO what did you get?

Comment

Working...
                        X