X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3R - no post

New build, power/fans on, but no post

CPU: Intel E8400
    RAM: G.SKILL F28500CL5D-4GB (2 2GB sticks)
    VIDEO: Gigabyte HD4850

Unfortunately I don't have a case speaker, nor access to spare parts to test. I've cleared CMOS and tried 1 mem stick in each slot. Anything else to try?

Re: EP45-DS3R - no post

Can or have you tried it out of the case, not on the motherboard tray just to be sure you are not shorting something out?

You need 52-62 for refresh to act delay set for 2x2GB and at least +0.1 MCH voltage. Just so you know.

If outside of the case you get the same non results with only one stick in slot one then you are going to have to either borrow some ram or take your ram to somewhere else and test it to be sure you do not have a DOA set. It happens.

You dont have ANY older DDr2 ram you could use? What PSU do you have, is it enough?

Do you have any other stuff hooked up? If so unplug everything but one stick of ram in slot one, your GFX card and that is it and see if you get into the BIOS. And be sure your CPU fan is plugged fully in, and that your CPU is seated properly and tightly

Case speaker is very cheap on ebay, and would help PLENTY >>>
    $1
    Item # 280245628702

$1.50
    Item # 140234906753

$8
    Item # 180259440214

Also, What BIOS version do you have? E8400 is only supported by F5+, if you have a older 77 CPU you could/should flash to F6 or F7. Ohh I see F5 is the first one, but ya never know, mine was shipped with a BIOS that was older then any on the list and was never posted

To see what BIOS you have on the MAIN page of the BIOS hit F9. But Damn, I guess you would not be getting in there either!!!!

Do you have older DDR2 and a older GFX card to try with this system? If so please try them. I see you said you do not, but does your buddy? Or can you take either out of a different PC in your house?

But the best thing you can do without a Case speaker is (Well if you are electrically inclined you could make one from a headphone or similar smaller speaker) is to take your parts to someone else's board (Card, and Ram I mean mostly) and test that they are not DOA or possibly your PSU is not enough for your card

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have tested outside the case and am testing with everything extra unplugged. PSU is plenty, Corsair HX620W. Bummer none of the brick and mortars carry motherboard speakers or the HSPC ATX Control kit..

Guess I'll try and figure out where I can test the components tomorrow... : (

Comment

Yeah, that PSU should be plenty I would say.

Ahh I always just drag my case close enough to hook up the switches! Lazy me!

But yeah, you are goona need to test things, Heck even possibly test a older PSU as that could be DOA as well ya never know. But most likely a dead Card or ram. But in the end you could also have gotten a dead Board as well?

More tested varibles are needed! HAHA, Just kidding. Ya, please try and find somewhere to test things, and if possible and your ram and GFX card is good see if you can test that board on someone elses setup/cpu

Comment

eh - user error. All is well in HTPC land. I could use some help, however, with the BIOS settings. I've changed nothing in the BIOS, and haven't updated the latest (since I'm not seeing any particular issues.) You mention refresh and power changes - can you please be a bit more specific regarding what I need to do?

Thx!

Comment

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
            CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
            C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1066Mhz
            DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

XMP [Disabled]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15/18

Start with the higher settings below, and later you can tweak them by moving ONE AT A TIME and test after each move (This is if you even want to mess with this, if not just leave on AUTO except the BOLDED Items)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 / 11-14
            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ (50) 52-62
            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-6
            Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 << Lower you can get it is better, dont try 6 likely ( If you plan to not mess with these, and leave on AUTO as I said above, you should at least try and test this lowering it one at a time as this has a large impact on ram speeds )

Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Do not adjust, leave on Zero or AUTO or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] <<< Set to Rams Spec on sticker, Likely 2.1V which is +0.3V
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability

MCH Core 1.100 <<<< Set to 1.1-1.3 (1.2 will likely work if it is already on 1.1)
            MCH Reference (Auto)
            MCH / Dram Reference (Auto)

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] <<< Set to Rams Spec on sticker, Likely 2.1V which is +0.3V
              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
              Thanks, much. I don't see any of the above listed. The DRAM section has:
              DRAM Voltage 1.8
              DRAM Termination .9
              Channel A ref .9
              Channel B ref .9

Comment

Ya, sorry I have not got my hands on a P45 board yet so I am not sure how it is layed out

DDR2 Overvoltage control would be the DRAM Voltage. Set that to 2.1V, Leave the rest as it is

The other two FSB and PCI Express, you will just have to find those and post the settings for me so I could tell you what is what if there is several selection. They may not even be in there anymore?

Comment

Working...
                X