DVD Drive Not Recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive Not Recognized

I just replaced my Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD Burner drive with a Pioneer DVR-215D.

The Lite-On would only work if I inserted a disk and rebooted. If I inserted a disk and tried to access the drive without rebooting the system would freeze. Also, if I changed the disk after rebooting, the system would freeze.

Now, Windows will not recognize the new drive at all. BIOS recognizes the drive by name, but Windows does not see the drive as a new device. No drive letter is applied.

I have been fighting with this for some time. I tried using a PCI express SATA add-on card and the computer would not POST.
    The System: Windows XP (64-bit) with SP2 - Gigabyte ATX GA-MA770-DS3 Motherboard - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Socket AM2 5600+ Processor - Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W PSU - Dell SE198WFP 19" Monitor - Asus EN8600GT GeForce 8600GT Video - 8-Gig OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM - 2 Western Digital SATA WD1600AAJS 160Gig Drives - Western Digital WD1600JBRTL 160Gig for backup - Thermaltake CL-P0200 Mini Typhoon CPU Cooler - 4 Cooler Master SAF-S84-E1 80mm Case Fans

I used the Lite-On to installed the OS. Once Windows took over, the drive would not function properly.

Why cant I use a DVD drive with my system?

Joe
    Last edited by josephezell; 07-12-2008, 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: DVD Drive Not Recognized

Have you installed the Intel inf Installer package? If not do that and reboot and see if it works then >>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Not so sure if it applies so much to Nvidia chipsets, but is also contains MANY other drivers including some cd/dvd and other misc drivers, So give it a try at least

If no luck, the next thing I would try it to manually set the IRQ for that drive

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Have you installed the Intel inf Installer package? If not do that and reboot and see if it works then >>>
      Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Not so sure if it applies so much to Nvidia chipsets, but is also contains MANY other drivers including some cd/dvd and other misc drivers, So give it a try at least

If no luck, the next thing I would try it to manually set the IRQ for that drive
      I'll check it out. I guess you see I am running AMD... right?

Here are my current IRQ settings...

IRQ Usage Summary:
      (ISA) 0 High precision event timer
      (ISA) 1 PS/2 Keyboard
      (ISA) 4 Communications Port (COM1)
      (ISA) 6 Standard floppy disk controller
      (ISA) 8 High precision event timer
      (ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
      (ISA) 13 Numeric data processor
      (ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel
      (PCI) 16 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
      (PCI) 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
      (PCI) 17 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
      (PCI) 17 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
      (PCI) 18 NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
      (PCI) 18 Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
      (PCI) 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
      (PCI) 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
      (PCI) 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
      (PCI) 21 Mia
      (PCI) 22 AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller
      Last edited by josephezell; 07-12-2008, 11:18 PM. Reason: added IRQ settings

Comment

Is that all manually set? If so, have you tried it with all set on auto?

Yes I saw AMD but the will install only what applies to your system\

Also, if you do not have a External Storage drive, please disable Legacy USB Storage detect, it is in Integrated Peripherals Section

I dont know much about AMD, but I will try to help as your CPU is not really a issue here!!

Comment

LSD, Thanks for the all the help you have already given me.

After hours of scratching my head and fighting with various BIOS settings, Windows tweaks, hardware changes, driver updates, etc. I finally found the "fix" for my DVD problems. Turns out, it was a simple BIOS setting I was ignoring.

In my BIOS, I have the following settings…

Integrated Peripherals > On Chip SATA Type
          (the choices are)
          - Native IDE **
          - RAID
          - Legacy IDE
          - SATA -> AHCI
          Originally, I was using the RAID setting with a striped array. Once I dropped the RAID array, I switched to the SATA -> AHCI setting. If I read correctly, that is the setting recommended by the user manual included with the motherboard.

** Changing that setting to Native IDE corrected the problem. The DVD is now recognized by Windows and works just fine. Without the internal errors, Windows is loading faster too!

Whew!

Joe
          Last edited by josephezell; 07-15-2008, 08:44 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

So you lost your RAID then if I got you right? Well at least you system is running smoother

Comment

Yes, I deleted the RAID zero config and reformatted for JBOD thinking that may clear up the DVD issue. I see now, that was not the problem.

It doesn't really matter. The RAID array was not giving me any additional speed. Fact is, the current setup is faster. Go figure!

Joe

Comment

Well nice to see you are up and running then!

Comment

Working...
                X