Ep35-ds3r & Raid 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ep35-ds3r & Raid 5

I wanna setup a RAID 5 Array using the 3 empty 250GB Hard Drives I have so I can safely store files that I can't burn right now but would rather not lose.
    I installed 64-bit Vista on a newly partitioned 750GB and just assumed It'd be a doddle to do the rest at a later date. Unfortunately after stupidly reading the manual now instead of when assembling, it suggests that I needed to do an important step during the Vista installation, so I guess I'm screwed right now.

Has anyone actually done this, how easy is it to set up? Do I need the 3 drives plugged into any specific SATA ports, Do I really need a floppy drive or can I use a USB key?

Lastly although I'll have to reinstall Vista is to get the driver is there anyway I can make the process of getting everything right again once Vista is installed (E.g codecs, programs, Firefox add-ons & bookmarks, drivers)

Thanks!

Re: Ep35-ds3r & Raid 5

With Vista you can use a CD or USB to put the Driver needed during the OS install on, XP you cannot and must use a floppy. But you have vista so you should be fine. You can also leave the file on a separate hard drive (Such as your 750) that will not be in the raid and select the driver from there to install.

Although if I hear you right, you want the 3 other drives to be RAID correct, and not the 750GB that has your OS on correct? If so I believe you can just install the Other RAID driver while in windows (Not the Pre OS one) and then reboot and go into the RAID control BIOS and create your array. You may also be able to do this from within the Intel Matrix program that it installs as well. This is that Driver..... 25MB one >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

It does not matter what ports, as long as it is a yellow one, you will choose which disks to make the RAID from within the RAID array creation page

I am not sure what you meant by that last comment as it looks like you didnt finish your sentence. Yes you will have to reinstall all of that again if that is what you are asking

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Although if I hear you right, you want the 3 other drives to be RAID correct, and not the 750GB that has your OS on correct?
      Yeah I'd expect those 3 disks would make up one big 500GB but the 750GB would be for the OS.

If so I believe you can just install the Other RAID driver while in windows (Not the Pre OS one) and then reboot and go into the RAID control BIOS and create your array. You may also be able to do this from within the Intel Matrix program that it installs as well. This is that Driver..... 25MB one >>>
      GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

Thanks!

I am not sure what you meant by that last comment as it looks like you didnt finish your sentence. Yes you will have to reinstall all of that again if that is what you are asking
      What I meant was if I reinstall Vista then I'd have to reinstall everything as I'd be starting from scratch. I know people like to use stuff like Norton Ghost so that everything is already set-up for them on a new install but that wouldn't work if I was specifically doing it install a driver and thus I was hoping for another solution If what you've recommended works then I won't have that problem.

Comment

Yeah, then you can likely do the raid without a vista reinstall since your OS is not going to be in the raid.

Good luck, and please let me know if you need anymore help And I'll see what I can do

Yeah a ghost or image would not help as you would be reinstalling things again without the driver.

Comment

Working...
        X