Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endless powering on and powering off after changing a single setting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless powering on and powering off after changing a single setting.

Hello everyone I have recently encountered a problem that has made my PC unusable.

Specs are:

e6750 2.66ghz @ 4ghz
    8800gt
    2g crucial ballistix
    GA-EP35-DS3P

Ok my RAM's default clock is 1066 but was currently at 1000 to compliment the cpu overclock.

This overclock was fine and I had it for over 2 weeks running flawlessly no problems. So I decided today that I want to have my memory a bit faster so I set my memory to 1200. I thought this would work as I had 677 that I clocked to 800 before so I thought this would work.

Heres where my problem starts.

My computer now goes on an infinite loop. I press the power on button one time and my computer turns on for 2-3 seconds then shuts off. It then turns on for 2-3 seconds and shuts off. This goes on forever.

I have tried clearing the CMOS by taking out the battery and reseting the jumpers but this does nothing and it still does the infinite loop thing.

One thing to note is that when I changed the memory to 1200 and did the first restart, there was a black screen that had some information but I didn't catch what it said. I then saw a series of "......." moving up and down and then the computer restarted and the infinite loops began and I started troubleshooting etc.

I would really like some help with this as I can't even use my pc.

Re: Endless powering on and powering off after changing a single setting.

Oh and my RAM is not broken because I tried the old ones I had as well in every slot and it still does this.

Comment

6750 @ 4Ghz eh? ON what LN2?

You need to clear your CMOS properly. Unplug your Power supply from the wall and put a hard drive or optical jumper on the Clear CMOS pins then let it set for 20 minutes or so. Remove all but 1GB or One stick of ram in slot one (Preferably your other ram, not the ones you had in when trying this crazy overclock). Then remove the jumper on the CMOS pins, and plug the PSU back into the wall and try to start the machine.

I do have to say, Without knowing what settings you were using Not much can be said about your ram being dead or not though. I do see your point thinking it is OK because of the other ram doing the same, but that is just because you likely corrupted the BIOS and or your Disk depending on if you had your PCI-E freq locked or not. That ram Is very well known to Die easily, with high voltages, low voltages or super high overclock attempts. So you could have easily killed it as well, best to test it in another system if you can.

That ram (Crucial) will do 1000 as with most all 6400/800 ram with loose timings, but not 1200... So you need not try that again

If you do not get started after clearing the CMOS as I suggested above you may have corrupted your BIOS boot block. There is only one way I know that may help you, and you HAVE to have a floppy drive already installed and setup >>>>
      Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

If that above does not work, and you do not have a floppy installed to try to get the bootblock fixed then you will be out of luck and need to RMA the board

Comment

Can you explain how to clear the CMOS pins with the optical drive or hard drive jumper? I have no idea how to do this.

Comment

??

Comment

Nevermind I found the hard drive jumper and I am putting on the cl_cmos now. Will post results later.

Comment

Looks like my board is dead. I tried all of that to no avail. I don't have a floppy drive so I can't go for the other method stated. I guess I will have to get another board, probably won't be a gigabyte one. Any other suggestions or is that it for this board?

Comment

Well that is about all you can do, other then let it cycle for a long time to see if it ever recovers. Leave your hard drive in for this as often times it stores a copy on a hard drive in the HPA section of your drive (In a NON RAID setup)

Comment

Ok well I have one last question. Thanks for the help so far btw. Anyways, I am getting an asus x48 mobo and was wondering if i can use my existing hard drive to boot into windows with the new board. If i can at least get into windows that will be great as I need to get some important things off of that hard drive. Is this possible or will I need to do a reformat from the get go as this is a new chipset?

Comment

Well, you may be able to just to copy files. But for sure not to use, as you said different chipset. You may be asked to let windows do a repair or install the proper drivers for that chipset once you get in there, do so that way you can copy your files for sure. But do not let that make you feel as if it is ok, best to format and reinstall so you dont have to later on down the road.

And yeah, you may not be able to get in at all. If that is the case you can install windows on a different hard drive and set that one as a secondary storage and just grab files that way. Also, if you only have that one drive and cannot load windows, what you can do is with your XP/Vista disk you can create a second partition from the empty space and install Vista or XP onto that and boot to it and then copy what you need out of the first partition.

Good luck with everything

Comment

Working...
                    X