Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Well them replacing with a different heatsink may not help much depending on if they choose a good one or not. There are many that would be just as bad as a stock one

I do not speak with GB directly, just Janus in Email every now and again is all.

What does Everest show this temp labeled as? And what does EasyTune label this temp as?

It is likely the NB, but as you suspect it could be off a bit(or large bit in this case) as I think 65C+ would for sure be burning your finger after a few seconds

Comment

Everest shows this temp as CPU allthough it shows both cores at 15-16C. AMD Overdrive doesen't even show this temp, so is the board's BIOS. The BIOS shows same temp for CPU cores as Everest and CoreTemp does. Don't think I would still have a CPU if this temp was correct ;-)) I think this temp might be the mosfets as they get pretty darn hot on touch, can't hold my finger longer than 2-3 seconds. When you ask the GB support about this temp, they say just don't worry about that, it has been tested, just keep eye on your CPU and keep it under 60 C.

Comment

WOW well it surely is not CPU, and that is also Surely not your core temps either. BIOS has to be wrong as well unless you are sitting in the snow with your board laying in it as well

What does EasyTune show? NB is normally System Temp in EasyTune, and Motherboard in Everest

Comment

I would say the both cores temps are correct since the BIOS and other software report the same, the temp varies from 15-16 to 20-25. CPU is cooled with AC Freezeer 64 PWM @ avg. 1500-1600 RPM. The System temp in BIOS is around 40-45C. The Brisbane 5000+ BE is on stock 200x13, but when i bump up the multiplier, the temps go up as well. As for EasyTune, I don't use it since I really don't need it and don't like that kind of flashy/colorful software. I might give it a try just to see the temp readings this afternoon and I'll let you know.

Comment

I disagree unless your house is Below 60F which is 16C. Your CPU cannot be colder then your house unless you have LN2 or some other crazy cooling which you do not.

System temp Looks to me to be your NB from what you say you see in the BIOS

Yeah, I do not use or suggest it at all either, just suggested it as a NB comparison point, it will be System Temp in it

Comment

Well, my bad, sorry, been doing too many things at once...You got the point there, hence we all know how well has AMD done with temp readings on Brisbane core ;-) Tonight when I get home, I'll test it with any software I can get and post the temperatures. Cheers!

Comment

No need to apologize I didn't mean to come off sounding like I was putting you down or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure you knew that incase some other High temp was too high yet you thought it may be ok because of the OFF readings.

Speedfan is also good, but you do have to configure it. And with readings like this is may be kinda hard

Comment

I have 2 of the boards and they both register super high temps on that diode. I think its VERY far off from whats actually happening. I put a Thermalright HR-05 on one of them, and the temp didn't budge. So I think its a calibration problem with that diode in firmware, some kind of offset or something. I just ignore it.

The Northbridge is indeed hot, but its not that bad.

The biggest problem with that northbridge cooler is that the mounting holes are 75mm apart, which is nearly impossible to find something that fits that spacing. I had to make a mishmash of parts from a CM blue ice pro and some of the Thermalright mounting components. Plus, there are some components that get in the way of a simple mounting process.

I think the Evercool Serpent will fit. I just ordered one of those. Will let you know. They are cheap here in the states too.

Comment

With AMD processors, there is a sensor that returns a value that is used to calculate CPU temp. I am using CPUID Hardware Monitor, and it currently shows this value as TMPIN2 = 81C. This is normal.

For K-8 processors, the CPU temp, which is different from the core temps, is calculated by subtracting 49C from the sensor value. For more on this subject, there is a simple explanation on the following page (CoreTemp is a freeware HW monitor):

Core Temp - How it works

For a more detailed discussion, try:

Core Temp

OD

Comment

Thank you nanohead, that was the answer I was looking for! Many people on other forums say they've put an aftermarkt cooler on that northbridge, but noone reports what happens with the temp readings afterwards, people must be imbarresed to admit it didn't help? I should just stop bothering that temp, if it works, don't fix it, right? We just get obsessed with stuff sometimes...

Comment

Yes, we are a very picky and obsessive breed us PC tweakers

Comment

Originally posted by MyJoy View Post
                          Thank you nanohead, that was the answer I was looking for! Many people on other forums say they've put an aftermarkt cooler on that northbridge, but noone reports what happens with the temp readings afterwards, people must be imbarresed to admit it didn't help? I should just stop bothering that temp, if it works, don't fix it, right? We just get obsessed with stuff sometimes...
                          I have 2 of this boards with 780G chipset;they get really hot, the Gigabyte one even more so. I put a 92mm fan not to far from the northbrigde and seems to help, HWCPUID (tmpin3) now reads 82-83C under heavy load, would go way into the 90's alot of times.
                          Maybe not related, but i was getting alot of video driver crashes (ATI2VDAG), after the fan installed seemed to be better, may temp had something to do with it.
                          Read somewhere, this chipset can handle 100C no problem, and as much as 125C, from what i understand- the heatsink getting hot is a good thing :-) (i'm sure was a AMD eng. you wrote that)

Comment

Working...
                          X