Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3L and Corsair XMS2 DDR800

Hi,

2 months ago, I built a system around the DS3L. Quick specs: e6750, 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800, 8800GT.

I encountered a problem when trying to boot the system for the first time - it wouldn't POST. The RAM was in slot 1 and slot 3, for dual channel mode. After reseating everything but the CPU to no avail, I took out the module from slot 3, and amazingly it booted, no problems. I figured I had a bad stick of RAM, but I wanted to test it before RMA'ing both sticks. I put the stick I took out back in the mobo, but this time in slot 2. The system continued to boot with this config, but no dual channel. Now that I confirmed the RAM was okay, I wanted dual channel. I put the RAM in slot 2 and 4, and the system booted with dual channel. This is how I've run the system (with zero problems from any part) for 2 months.

To recap, it won't boot with either stick in slot 3, with or without other slots filled.

But now I want to get more RAM, since a) I want to "upgrade" to Vista, and b) it's so cheap! However, I'm worried that slot 3 will cause issues when it's filled. I don't want to buy RAM just to see if the problem still exists (and why wouldn't it?), only to find out it does and have to return the opened RAM.

Has anyone experience and solved this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Re: GA-P35-DS3L and Corsair XMS2 DDR800

Sounds to me as if you have a bad connection on your board and that slot, you should have RMA'd it right then. And still should now if you can and have the patience.

There will be no "Fix" for this as it is likely a bad solder or some other issue causing slot 3 to malfunction

However, I do personally think That ram has issues with GA boards, but I doubt it would cause this particular issue you are seeing. Can you borrow some other stick to test slot 3? If not, do you have ANY older ram to test with? Any DDR2 will do, of any speed

Comment

Working...
    X