Suddenly having post problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly having post problems

I hope some of you have some good info that might help. I have been running my GA-P35-DS4(rev2.0) solidly for a couple months now, zero problemas. Last night it suddenly started to have major problems while trying to POST. It will display the screen (non-graphic) that shows the CPU ID and clock speed, below that is some kind of id information in <>, then below that the line "Memory" with only the top half of the y showing. This is where it usually would display "Memory Testing". After about a minute it shows the entire line, a large number that is something like 4gb and it boots normally.

once it boots it seems to work fine. I am running memtest86+ right now and after 50 minutes its still running and so far no errors. Sometimes it seems to slow way way down, other times not.

If the memory is passing memtest, could the memory still be faulty? or is this more likely an issue with northbridge, the cpu or something else?

Anyone have any ideas about it?

I had my machine mildly overclocked for over a month at 3.2ghz(with aftermarket cooling). it was 8x400, with the ram speed at 800. I always monitored the temps and they were always around 32 idle and under 40 when doing lots of work. I had run it through prime95 a bunch of times also to make sure stable.

Recently I tried to install a PCI card and was having issues with it. so i changed back to 2.4ghz and auto vcore in order to see if that was the issue. That didn't solve the PCI card problem. I only mention it because that was the last thing I did to the BIOS before this problem started happening. The card has since been removed. I tried to clear the CMOS too, but maybe I didn't do it right, will try to do it by removing the battery. I already tried to go into every screen of BIOS to set to fail safe defaults.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Dewdman42; 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM.

Re: Suddenly having post problems

Are you running the newest Memtest86+? If not, go here and grab it >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Then please put the ram and CPU at stock timings and voltages, and use this directions (Just incase you were not sure how) to change the Test # >>>

1. First press C
    2. then 1
    3. then 3
    4. and finally select the test that you want to run
    5. press Enter
    6. and then 0 to get it running

Run test # 2 and # 5 for a few hours each, if you get errors then yes you need to RMA you set of ram.

Fail safe defaults would not be best, load optimized defaults and reboot. Then go in and set your ram voltage to the spec on the ram and run the above tests

What ram is this, and how much?

Comment

Thanks for responding. memtest86 is apparantly not the most recent, so I will burn a new CD and start over. I have already set Cpu and ram speed to factory settings. I just ran whatever default test it does...which is taking a long time. It has done 5 tests so far, working on test#6. its been 4.5 hours. No errors so far.

but I will try to follow your exact instructions now.

The memory is Kensington Hyper-X, total of 4GB on two DDR2 sticks. Its considered 800mhz memory, designed for overclocking.

I'm having trouble running the latest version of memtest86+ 2.01. While trying to boot the CDROM it hangs. i can boot another CD I have that has memtest86+ 1.7 on it. Dunno. I am able to boot the 2.01 Cd on my laptop.

But memtest 1.7 is not showing any errors. Its also not recognizing the full 4gb, it only shows 3.5GB found.
      Last edited by Dewdman42; 07-01-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Seems that this issue is somehow related to a USB device I had plugged in. This has been plugged in for a long time, so I'm not sure what changed. But anyway, unplugging it got rid of the problem completely. My ram passed all memtests.

Comment

So? You got it all figured out now right? All is working good?

Hope so, if not post back and I will see if I can help ya get it figured out

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Run test # 2 and # 5 for a few hours each, if you get errors then yes you need to RMA you set of ram.
            Mate if he had dodgy / flaky RAM it would be showing up within one or two passes of memtest

probably would not even get passed test4 on the first run (5mins)

Imo your advice would best for if he/she was overclocking and testing for stability

Comment

Working...
            X