Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48-DQ6 boot and shutdown issues

Hi,

I've found that sometimes my newly installed GA-X48-DQ6 remains stuck at the end of the BIOS boot, just after the DMI settings printout. Normally a CTRL-ALT-DEL is enough to make it boot normally next time, but sometimes a hard reset was needed. The problem had disappeared after a BIOS upgrade, but reappeared after some BIOS tweaking. Any idea of which settings might cause this trouble?
    A more annoying problem is that, after having flashed the BIOS, Windows XP 64-bit does not shutdown properly the PC. Everything goes down, but the fans keep spinning and keeping pressed the power button for a few seconds is required to complete the shutdown. Could it be a flaky connection of the PSU connector on the MB? Seems unlikely, as the problem appeared after a BIOS upgrade, but I have no other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: GA-X48-DQ6 boot and shutdown issues

What settings are you using in MIT section, could be memory errors. Also, have you tested the ram with memtest86+ at stock timings to be sure it is ok?

Also, when you did your flash did you load optimized defaults and then save and apply/reboot before going in and making your changes? If not you must do that. No need to reflash, just go in the BIOS (make a note or take a picture of your overclock settings if you need to first as they will be gone) and choose load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot, then go back into the BIOS and make your changes.

You aren't by chance using a Beta BIOS are you? If so that could also likely be the culprit

Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours. Add or remove anything that is not listed.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-27-2008, 03:57 AM.

Comment

A memory problem? It could well be... I haven't yet tried to run Memtest86+, so I cannot rule that out. By the way, I have a couple of Twin2X2048-6400C4DHX modules. The only thing I changed in the memory settings was to increase the voltage from 1.8V to 2.1V (the value supposedly to be used). The timings are 5-5-5-18, I haven't yet changed them to 4-4-4-12. The FSB is overclocked to 400 MHz, but I kept the memory frequency at 800 MHz.
      Concerning the BIOS, indeed I have flashed the latest (beta) version, but I had loaded the optimized defaults. I will try to revert to the original version, and follow your other suggestions.
      Thanks!

Comment

Ya, it could be either DOA ram, or just a Beta Bios issue. The last few I used on my board did give out memory errors in memtest when the stable versions did not. So the beta could be causing you strange issues. Best to not use a beta unless you absolutely have to

Comment

Did you install the board and use a Hard Disk that had XP installed on the old board? If yes the MB chipset drivers fromthe old board and new may be casue the issue.

Personally I perfer a clean install of the OS anytime I change my board.

Comment

I loaded the optimized defaults and tested the memory with Memtest86+ for a couple of hours, no errors whatsoever. The problems seem to have disappeared, so most probably they were due to my first overclocking experiments.
            By the way, I had completely reformatted my system partition before changing MB and reinstalled XP-64 bit from scratch.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

So... You are up and running smoothly now? If so great to hear, let us know if you need anymore help with anything

Comment

Everything is running totally smoothly at the optimized default settings. I'm yet to begin my overclock experiments. Thanks!

Comment

Nice to hear, if you need some suggested settings let me know. Post your full specs, and what you are trying to run at and I can make you some suggestions

Comment

Working...
                  X