GA-P35-DS3/Crucial Ballistix & BSODs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-P35-DS3/Crucial Ballistix & BSODs

Ya, you should have no issues with them at highest. The only reason for the ranges is when you have time you can lower one at a time and test after each move. If you move too many lower or more then one really you wont know what is causing the errors. SO always best to lower them on at a time. Of course when you get time as that is a kinda tedious thing to do.

The higher settings I gave you will not be the best/fastest you can use for 1066 but are the looser settings so you could for sure boot in and be stable

Comment

Ok, with those settings it accepted manual timings. Memtest reported 5-5-5-15 and I let it run through one full pass, no errors.
      So now I'm in Windows. CPUZ reports 5-5-5-15. System uptime 10 minutes and counting. And yes, I put a smiley in there.
      All I can do is wait and see. Thanks Lsdmeasap, if that indeed is your real name, I may owe you a beer. But you have to wait at least a week!

Dave

P.S. I may tweak values at another time, but to be honest, stability is the most important thing for me at the moment.

Comment

Ahh you will get there. Just have to find the sweet spot is all

You should make you some bios profiles F11 is save and F12 load from the BIOS main page. Then you can test which is better 800 or 1066 once you find the best 1066 timings.

With 1066 being on looser timings then 800 it may or may not be faster

As for the beer, I'll take two!

Comment

Oh dear. It's gone down again, after 3 days.
          Exactly the same thing happened as before: I simply rebooted, ran memtest and got a bunch of errors. Same as before, single bit errors at various locations. Powered down for a short period, same again. Powered down for a longer period - 30 seconds - and now the memory shows no errors.
          I can't continue with this. It looks like you recommend Mushkin, which isn't easy to find here in the UK, but I've found them here. Not cheap, but I have to get this going. Yes/No?

Comment

Mushkin Work GREAT with GA boards. I have them in several of my systems now, and have used them in plenty of my past ones. As well as several of my friends use and love them as well.

The link you gave is one of thier older models which use Micron D9 IC's so you will love them, they will overclock great and underclock even better if you want tighter timings.

How much is that in US $? Those seem to be ALL out of stock there, all 6 models they sell.

I would say, I have heard some of these EU places will ship to UK, so you will just have to find one close and see if they do >>>
            Where to Buy Mushkin

I will put in a question about it at mushkin forums and ask greg for you. Ill post back when he replies

Comment

That works out at about US$ 100. I'm sure when I found them they weren't out of stock!

Comment

Did you look all thru ebay sales, US ones I mean? I see plenty of mushkins in the US ebay, and alot of those do ship worldwide. may be worth your time to shop that route. Greg has yet to answer me, I just bumped the thread

$99 ships worldwide Redlines >>>

Question is what do you want to spend? Either way I'd say wait until I get a reply from Mushkin Greg
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-22-2008, 06:08 AM.

Comment

At the moment I almost don't care what I have to spend, I just want a reliable system! $100 is probably ok - the Crucials cost me about $80.
                  That ebay link looks good - the price I had was for 2 gig, this one's for 4 gig.
                  I'll wait for Munchkin Gregs response.

Comment

Stock coming Tuesday....From Greg. He said it took him some looking to find them!

Same as you linked but only 32.86 exc. VAT (Whatever that means, probably you need to pay more then 32 aint it! )
                    MUSHKIN HP2-6400 MEMORY MODULE - 2 X 1 GB DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 CL5 Wholesalers MUSHKIN HP2-6400 MEMORY MODULE - 2 X 1 GB DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 CL5 buying bulk traders exporters suppliers wholesale prices dropshipment

And I just noticed the site you linked earlier stock will be in on Tuesday as well, so whichever is cheaper of those two and ebay + Shipping would be your best bet

They have a Europe place, wonder why it is so hard to get out that way?

Comment

Unfortunately I can't buy from your link because I'm not a registered company, so I'll have to get them from the place I found. By the time VAT is added (sales tax @17.5%) plus delivery, there's not much difference. Thanks again LSD. I'm sure I'll be back asking about BIOS settings when I fit them.

Comment

Ahh Ok, well if you have time, I will see what else greg can find so you dont have to spend so much on ebay. Ill let him know what you said

Comment

Follow up:
                          I've now had the Mushkins in for 3 days in interleaved mode with no problems. The only changes I've made to the BIOS are to up the DIMM voltage as these require 2.2V and they are also 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-5-5-15 that the Crucials were rated at. I think it's unlikely that I'll be able to return the Crucials because I've had them so long now and I bet there's nothing actually wrong with them - they just don't like running interleaved in Gigabyte mobos. So... I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to try to run the system with 4 sticks. The Crucials ran fine non-interleaved, so I could run Mushkins non-interleaved as well but I've now got two banks, so I'm back to interleaved. Yeah, I'm probably entering a world of pain but I'll give it one shot!

Comment

Just a heads up, Mushkins Spec voltages are not the Required amount but the Warrantied amount. And they generally do not need the full amount, so 2.1 (Or possibly 2.0) will work just fine and let your ram last longer

I dont think crucial has a time limit, best to check directly with Crucial, I know they do not require a reciept. But either way they would just send you new sticks you could sell on ebay!

Using both sticks would likely not work at all, they both have different Chips on them and that would cause errors

Glad to see you have some working ram, and you know depending on what you are running things at now those Mushkins will run at tighter timings then what it posted on the sticker. So which Model did you get again, and what are you running them at and I will post you some suggested tighter timings if possible

Comment

Cool. These are the sticks
                              Edit: You asked for the current timings. I'll post them here soon.

Ok:
                              Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                              CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
                              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
                              C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
                              (Mem freq 1066)
                              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
                              Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
                              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
                              Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18
                              ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
                              Rank Write to READ Delay________ 18
                              Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
                              Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52
                              Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5
                              Static tRead Value_______________ 10
                              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.400V]
                              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
                              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
                              CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]
                              Last edited by softwaredave; 07-04-2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Well first off you do not need 2.2-2.35 at all, that is the max allowed within the warranty. You can likely use 2.1V (+.3). And you could probably lower MCH to 1.5 as well, maybe less

As for timings, with you having your cpu and ram multi on AUTO I am not sure what you want to run the ram at. If you wanted you can raise your FSB to where you can use the ram with lower timings and 1:1 (2.0) multi. But as for what you have now, you can likely lower a few of those >>>

For trying to lower these, best to only move ONE AT A TIME, and test a bit after each move that way you know which causes the error if you do find one

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4 << Possibly use 3
                                Rank Write to READ Delay________ 18 << Possibly use 11-15
                                Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 << Possibly use 4-5
                                Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52 << Possibly use 38-48
                                Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5 << Possibly use 3-4
                                Static tRead Value_______________ 10 << Possibly use 7-10

Comment

Working...
                                X