GA-X38-DS4 stuck on bios boot screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X38-DS4 stuck on bios boot screen

after having my PC run perfectly fine for the last month, i now can no longer boot it, when i do, i get stuck on the very first screen. i can hit tab to enter the post screen (shows RAM so i dont think thats the prob) but cant use any of the other options.

My System is:

GA-X38-DS4 Mobo
    E8500 CPU @ 3.16Ghz
    2x2Gb Gskill DDR2 RAM @1066 5-5-5-15
    WD 500 GB SATA HDD
    XFX Geforce 9800 GTX XXX

the fans on the CPU and Vid Card are going, cant tell if the HDD is loading or not, but i feel small vibrations. Any help would be much appreciated, though i fear either my MoBo is dead or my CPU,

Re: GA-X38-DS4 stuck on bios boot screen

If it's showing the Ram quantity then it id getting somewhere so it's unlikely that the CPU/motherboard is dead. Have you powered off at the PSU power switch? Then tried again? Cleared the CMOS with a jumper? If that fails remove the battery and clear the Cmos for a while before putting it back together and retrying. Make sure the power is disconnected before trying any of these things.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

Comment

Yes, I would clear the Cmos by unplugging the PSU then put a hard drive/optical jumper on the clear Cmos pins and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then remove the clear cmos jumper and plug the psu back in and see if it fires up.

If nothing, I would try the above again and remove one stick of ram so you only have one stick in slot one, then try again.

Best to plug in a Case speaker if you can to hear the actual error you are getting.

If you have a different video card it would be good to try that as well

Can you get into the BIOS at all as it is now?

Comment

i managed to isolate the problem after talking to a friend, removed the HDD and it started the boot fine. Got an older HDD in at the moment till i get the dud replaced, only had it a little over a month, so if parts are going to fail, this is the period.

Im going to probably try the other HDD again tomorrow, see if it was being tempermental, so i can try recover what data i can off it, though i dont think ill miss anything as its a new PC so i recently backed up stuff from my older one not over a month ago

Comment

Nice to see you found the culprit. If you have a different PC you could try the disk in there to get your data back if need be

Drives are cheap so you got lucky with it being that. Good luck And let us know how the WD RMA process is

Comment

Working...
          X