Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 not running G.Skill PC2 8500 at rated timings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 not running G.Skill PC2 8500 at rated timings

Please help. I have spent many hours trying to get this G.Skill 2x2GB (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK) to work at the rated timing of 5-5-5-15 on my Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard. I set the Vddr to +0.25V (measures 2.08V in the BIOS). I set the timing to 5-5-5-15 with all subtiming settings at Auto. I run Memtest+ v2.01 at DDR2 1066 speed and I get errors. I tried running at DDR2 800 speed at 5-5-5-15 and also got errors, although they were less frequent. These errors usually occur in Test #6 but sometimes in Test #2 or Test #4 as well. These errors are always the same at bit 00008000, but the locations in memory do jump around.

I thought that perhaps one of the modules was faulty so I tried swapping the modules but the error remained the same at bit 0008000. I also tried the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> set of DIMM sockets on the motherboard and again got the same errors. When I set the modules to SPD they default to 5-7-7-20 at DDR2 1066 speed and they run without error. I tried 5-6-6-18 at DDR2 1066 speed and still get Memtest+ errors.

I thought it odd that I also get errors at DDR2 800 speed at the DDR2 1066 rated 5-5-5-15 timing, so I suspected my motherboard. I picked up a cheap pair of OCZCPU

<o:p> </o:p>
    EQUIPMENT:<o:p></o:p>
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6<o:p></o:p>
    Intel Q9450 Core 2 Quad<o:p></o:p>
    G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066<o:p></o:p>
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler + OCZ Freeze<o:p></o:p>
    ECS N8800GT-512MX+<o:p></o:p>
    AirLink101 AWLH6080 300N Wireless PCI Adapter<o:p></o:p>
    Antec P182 Gunmetal Black Case
    2 x Nocuta NF-P12 fans (1 on OCZ V2)
    Corsair HX620W<o:p></o:p>
    BYTECC PCIe SATA II + PATA<o:p></o:p>
    1 x 300 GB Seagate SATA<o:p></o:p>
    1 x 500 GB Seagate SATA<o:p></o:p>
    2 x 750 GB Seagate PATA<o:p></o:p>
    2 x 1 TB WD SATA<o:p></o:p>
    Pioneer 20X SATA DVR-215DBK<o:p></o:p>
    Plextor PX-760<o:p></o:p>
    Lite-On 52x CD-RW

Re: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 not running G.Skill PC2 8500 at rated timings

For 2x2 at 1066 you may need a bit more MCH, You will also for sure need to manually set "Refresh to act" to between 52-62, possibly even 68

What are the settings you are trying? >>>
    Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap and thanks for the quick reply. I have been reading some of the other threads and have been trying most of the suggestions you have given there, with no luck. I think there is a big clue that the error that I always get is at bit location 00008000, but at different memory locations. I thought it was the motherboard when it didn't move when I swapped the module positions, but then I ran some 2 x 1GB DDR2800 OCZ memory at 4-4-4-12 and no errors after over an hour on Memtest+ Test #6.

I normally have all the memory subtimings at [Auto] but I am trying anything to get my PC to run without errors. I am currently trying all the subtimings at their largest recommended settings. Same for the voltages. Here are the settings I am currently testing:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio _________________ [8]
      CPU Host Clock Control____________ [Enabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)_________ [333] -- I also run at 402
      [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]PCI [COLOR=blue! important]Express[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Frequency (Mhz)________ [100]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.00] Trying a suggestion to underclock at a multiple of FSB. Otherwise, I pick a multiplier for 1072 or 800. I got errors at all speeds.
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
      Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time_______________ 5

Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________ 5
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 15
      Write to Precharge Delay__________ 5
      Refresh to ACT Delay_____________ 68
      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6
      Static tRead Value_______________ 10
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
      [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]PCI[/COLOR][/COLOR]-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.0V]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.15V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal if no OC or 1.25 if OC]

(Normal CPU Vcore _______ 1.18750V)

I am beginning to think that this motherboard doesn't like 2x2GB, or at least this pair of modules. It seems to like my OCZ 2x1GB modules, though. Also, I spoke too soon about not getting errors at 5-7-7-15. I got home to find 3 errors after running Test #6 for 9 hours. I don't think there is much left for me to try. Everything I have tried eventually results in Memtest+ errors. This is very frustrating. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Comment

Try Write to Precharge Delay__________ 14+ and see if that helps any

And have you tried the other slots at all? Try above suggestion first though.

Comment

I switched to the 2nd set of sockets after I tried the OCZ RAM, and the error remained. Preiously I had tried swapping the RAM in the 1st set of sockets, and the Err-Bits remained at 00008000.

I thought I was on something last night. I tried increasing CAS to 6 and it seemed to run without Memtest+ errors, so I changed all the subimings back to Auto except Refresh to ACT Delay which I set to 68 and I ran overnight at 6-6-6-18. After nearly 9 hours (69 passes) of Test #6 there was 1 error at Err-Bits 00008000, the only value I have seen in all my tesing on this system. The settings were:

Robust Graphics Booster____________ [Auto]
          CPU Clock Ratio ___________________ [8 X]
          CPU Frequency____________________ 3.21GHz (402x8)
          CPU Host Clock Control_____________ [Enabled]
          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [402]
          PCE Express Frequency (Mhz)________ [100]
          System Memory Multiplier___________ [2.66D]
          Memory Frequency (MHz)____________ 1072
          DRAM Timing Selectable____________ [Manual]
          Performance Enhance______________ [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 6
          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 6
          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay________6
          Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ 18
          ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)__________ 3 [Auto]
          Rank Write to READ Delay__________ 3 [Auto]
          Write to Precharge Delay__________ 6 [Auto]
          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52 [68]
          Read to Precharge Delay___________ 3 [Auto]
          Static tRead Value________________ 8 [Auto]
          Static tRead Phase Adjust__________ 0 [Auto]
          Command Rate (CMD)_____________ 2 [Auto]

System Voltage Control____________ [Manual]
          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__________ [+0.300V]
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control__________ [Normal]
          FSB OverVoltage Control___________ [Normal]
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control________ [+0.150]
          CPU Voltage Control_______________ [1.250V]
          Normal CPUE Vcore________________ 1.18750V

Last night I was wondering why these errors occur so infrequently during the Memtest+ runs. I thought perhaps it was a heat issue since the RAM doesn't get any direct airflow on it, so I placed a 80mm fan on top of the graphics card heatsink about 4-5 inches away from the RAM.

Why 1 error after 9 hours? If there is an issue shouldn't I get lots of errors? Why always the same Err-Bits location? I will try a Write to Precharge Delay of 14 per your suggestion. With the above settings I am only seeing 1 error over 9 hours of testing, though, so I better change CAS back to 5 to see if this change makes a difference.

I would like to determine where the problem lies - the RAM or the motherboard or elsewhere. If I can't get this G.Skill RAM to work without error then I will do more extensive testing with my OCZ RAM.

Thanks again for your help!

Ira

EQUIPMENT:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Intel Q9450 Core 2 Quad OEM<o:p></o:p>
          OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink + OCZ Freeze<o:p></o:p>
          Antec P182 Gunmetal Black Case
          2 x Nocuta NF-P12 fans (1 on OCZ V2, 1 on rear of case, both at 1400 rpm)
          2 x 750 GB Seagate PATA<o:p></o:p>

Pioneer 20X SATA DVR-215DBK (SATA)<o:p></o:p>
          Plextor PX-760 (PATA)<o:p></o:p>
          Lite-On 52x CD-RW (PATA)

Comment

I would also try Rank write to read delay of 12+ when you do the Write to precharge test

Comment

P.S. My mobo is P35-DQ6

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                I would also try Rank write to read delay of 12+ when you do the Write to precharge test
                Thanks. I will try that when I get home from work. I am testing your Write to Precharge Delay = 14 (I think I set it to 16) suggestion right now at 5-6-6-18. Do you think I should give up on trying to get these G.Skill to run at 5-5-5-15? I couldn't even get them to run at 5-5-5-15 without error at DDR2 800 speed, but that was with all the memory subtimings at [Auto].

I don't believe it is a factor, but I upgraded the BIOS to F7b last month because I was having these RAM issues at 5-5-5-15 on the F6 BIOS. It appeared to make no difference. The machine appeard to be rock solid at 5-7-7-20 so I worked on setting up my wife's and kid's computers. I just got back to troubleshooting the RAM issue with my new PC this past week.

Do you think it is the RAM or the MB? I was thinking of doing more testing with my 2x1GB OCZ to see if it has any issues, to try to rule out the MB. I could also try running one stick at a time, but I am not sure if I will get any useful information out of that. I still have time to exchange the RAM with the vendor but not the MB.

I agree that these G.Skill are fast, I just want them to run with 0 errors.

Comment

It could be the beta BIOS, I have had issues with beta's in the past causing random issues. I would flash back to a stable non beta bios. One you know worked fine becuase for sure those G.Skills work great in GA boards and you should not be having to use such loose timings

When I said before To run one stick at a time it was to test if maybe one stick is DOA is all not to test timings or anything. Sometimes all companies as you know can send out a dead/dying stick and that could be why you keep getting errors, but I would think it could be your beta bios as well

Comment

I am still getting errors with the following changes per your suggestion:

Rank Write to READ Delay__________ 3 [14]
                    Write to Precharge Delay__________ 6 [16]

I was running at 5-5-5-15 and got 1 error in about 90 minutes of Test #6.

Am I correct in assuming that I ruled out a bad stick when I swapped their positions and the Err-Bits showed the same bit location at 00008000?

I will try the original released BIOS and see what happens.

I think I will try testing my OCZ RAM and tighten the timing until I start getting errors. I would like to rule out the motherboard if possible.

Comment

Ya I would think that rules out a bad stick, highly unlikely they are bad at the same spot....But you never know!

Normally a bad bit at the same spot DOES mean a bad IC Chip on the ram.

Is your NB hot to the touch?

I would say to watch out using the Original BIOS it may not support that CPU, just download the latest one that is NON beta but supports your CPU

Comment

I haven’t flashed back to the original BIOS yet. This motherboard just became available a few months ago and shipped with BIOS F6 (2/29/08). The F7b beta BIOS (4/3/08) description states “Update CPU ID”. Since I have the relatively new Intel Q9450, I thought the beta BIOS might be a good idea. I also installed it hoping it might help with the RAM errors I was getting with the F6 BIOS. I can flash back to F6 after I try a few more things, such as test my OCZ memory.
                        <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                        Regarding the RAM and NB temps, I was concerned that they were not getting any direct airflow so a couple nights ago I installed a 80mm fan about 4-5 inches from the RAM and NB. That should keep them cool enough. However, I doubt there ever was a NB or RAM overheating issue causing the Memtest+ errors since I had the errors when running at stock FSB (333) and voltages, and when underclocking the G.Skill memory at DDR2 800.
                        <o:p></o:p>
                        Last night I retested the G.Skill with what I originally thought was an error-free configuration, but with higher MCH and FSB voltages than I had tried before. I set the FSB to 400 (CPU @ 3.20 GHz), Multiplier for DDR2 1066, all RAM timing and subtiming to Auto (5-7-7-20), MCH to +0.15, FSB to +0.10, DDR OV to +0.30 and Vcore to 1.250V. After running Memtest+ looping Test #6 for about 9 hours I got 2 errors. That is about the best I have seen considering that when I thought I was running error-free I was cycling through all the Memtest+ tests. I also tested under the same condition as above but at DDR2 800 and 5-5-5-15 or looser timings, also resulting in Memtest+ errors.
                        I always get the same Memtest+ Err Bits result – 00008000. I get that same result even after I swap the RAM between channels or move the RAM to the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> pair of sockets. If my understanding of the Err Bits result and the hardware is correct, that would mean it is one line or bit on the MB Data Bus that is having an issue. It is either the MB itself or a compatibility issue between my particular MB and G.Skill modules. That is why I thought it a good idea to more thoroughly test my OCZ memory.
                        This morning I installed the 2x1GB OCZ memory and set the FSB to 400 (CPU @ 3.20 GHz), Multiplier for DDR2 800, RAM timing to 4-4-4-12 and all subtiming to Auto, MCH to Normal, FSB to Normal, DDR OV to +0.20 and Vcore to 1.250V. If my OCZ RAM can run Test #6 for 8 hours or more error-free, I believe my next step should be to exchange the G.Skill modules for another pair. If I get the same Err Bits error with the OCZ memory, then I believe I have isolated the problem to the MB. I can then flash back to the F6 BIOS and test the OCZ memory again. If the error repeats, then I have a hardware problem with the MB and it needs to be replaced. Do you concur? Do you have any other ideas? Is there any reason to suspect any other piece of hardware in my system? I don’t think so, but I am open to suggestion.
                        Anyway, I really appreciate the time and help you have given me.
                        Thanks,
                        Ira
                        EQUIPMENT:<o:p></o:p>
                        Intel Q9450 Core 2 Quad OEM<o:p></o:p>
                        OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink + OCZ Freeze<o:p></o:p>
                        Antec P182 Gunmetal Black Case <o:p></o:p>
                        2 x Nocuta NF-P12 fans (1 on OCZ V2, 1 on rear of case, both at 1400 rpm)<o:p></o:p>
                        2 x 750 GB Seagate PATA (connected via BYTECC card)<o:p></o:p>
                        Pioneer 20X SATA DVR-215DBK (SATA)<o:p></o:p>
                        Plextor PX-760 (PATA)<o:p></o:p>
                        Lite-On 52x CD-RW (PATA)
                        Last edited by Ira; 06-15-2008, 03:31 AM.

Comment

That beta was to add support for the cheaper 45nm's. F6 will work for your CPU as seen here >>>
                          GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-X48-DQ6

And yeah, I agree with you about the bad bits. It can't keep being in the same spot with different ram or configuration's of ram without it being the board

Comment

Well, the 2x1GB OCZ memory has been running Memtest+ Test #6 for over 11 hrs and has completed 162 passes with 0 errors. The relevant settings are as follows:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                            Robust Graphics Booster: Auto<o:p></o:p>
                            CPU Clock Ratio: 8X<o:p></o:p>
                            FSB: 400 (CPU @ 3.20 GHz)<o:p></o:p>
                            PCIe Frequency: 100<o:p></o:p>
                            Memory Multiplier: 2.0D (DDR2 800)<o:p></o:p>
                            Performance Enhance: Standard<o:p></o:p>
                            RAM Timing: 4-4-4-12<o:p></o:p>
                            All Memory Subtiming: Auto<o:p></o:p>
                            DDR OV: +0.20<o:p></o:p>
                            PCIe: Normal<o:p></o:p>
                            FSB: Normal<o:p></o:p>
                            MCH: Normal<o:p></o:p>
                            Vcore: 1.250V (Normal CPU Vcore = 1.18750V)<o:p></o:p>
                            Since I couldn’t do this with the G.Skill even with loose timing, higher voltages and underclocking down to DDR2 800, I have to believe the problem is either the G.Skill memory or that the Gigabyte MB doesn’t like the extra loading from 2x2GB modules, perhaps due to an issue in the MB that is sensitive to extra loading.<o:p></o:p>
                            I hadn’t looked at the CPU support page but you are right about F6 supporting my Q9450. Do you still think I should flash back to BIOS F6? I originally flashed F7b to see if it might help with the problems running the G.Skill at their rated timing, but it made no difference. Gigabyte claims that their beta BIOS is “a new version that is reliable yet may not include all the features of the final product.” I have had no issues with F7b so I kept it. I check for F7 Final nearly every day, though, since I generally do not like beta firmware or drivers.<o:p></o:p>
                            Do you agree that there is an issue with the G.Skill memory and I should exchange it?<o:p></o:p>
                            Or could it still be an issue with the MB when using any 2x2GB or perhaps even 4x1GB memory? I am concerned that the replacement G.Skill will have the same issue.<o:p></o:p>
                            Thanks again,<o:p></o:p>
                            Ira
                            Last edited by Ira; 06-15-2008, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Also, I have a quick question about the FSB hole at 400 MHz. Should this hole always prevent posting at FSB 400 or can it be an intermittant issue or a function of other settings such as the Memory Multiplier? I was wondering because I originally discovered this problem when I noticed in Vista that my CPU speed had dropped from my OC of 3.2 GHz down to the stock 2.66 GHz. Searching for an answer to this problem lead me to these forums and a post of yours that described the FSB 400 hole. Changing the FSB to 402 solved the problem.

However, for the past day I have set the FSB to 400 instead of 402 and have rebooted into Memtest+ many times and it has not reverted back to FSB 333. Could the hole have been partly due to not bumping up the MCH voltage? The only other difference is that the PCIe Frequency is now at 100 instead of Auto, again per your suggestion in these forums.

Thanks,

Ira

Comment

Working...
                              X