Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3L w/e8400 and 4GB OCZ 1066

Hello,

I'm new to this OC-ing business (I bet there's a lot of these lines around here). I've got a DS3L MB, an e8400 CPU, and 4GB 1066 OCZ RAM. I've OC-ed the CPU easily to 3.8 using 400 on the FSB, and it looks stable from the OCCT tests (I've got a Zalman 9700 and RealTemp shows very nice results). I'm at a loss what to do with the RAM though; it's below 1066 (which I gather means it's simply not running as well as it could) and I was hoping to get some help in achieving a high (3.6 at least) CPU overclock as well as a great RAM output. I figure I shouldn't have to take a loss in RAM efficiency just because the e8400 is so easy to OC.

Thanks, guys!

~Elrahc

Re: DS3L w/e8400 and 4GB OCZ 1066

What ram setting are you using? And why do you not just use a higher multiplier for your ram?

Or am I confused on what you are asking?

Comment

I've got the RAM settings (if you're referring to timings) on AUTO as I don't know enough about overclocking RAM yet. The RAM multiplier I don't recall off hand, but I think it's a 2.40 or 2.50 right now, making it 900-something. I'm at work now, but I'll look it up exactly when I get home in about 10 hours (yey overtime!).

I tried a higher RAM multiplier but then it exceeds 1066 by what I believe would be too much. My CPU multiplier only goes to 9, but I can apparently boost it with a .5 too, so it's 400x9.5 right now and seems stable. My problem is that I can't seem to find a good RAM setting with that FSB, and I don't exactly want to lower the CPU overclock since it's working that well, you know? Pleas let me know if I'm unclear about anything, and feel free to ask specifics (just make sure you detail what you're asking so I know what to look for specifically).

Thank you for your time! I appreciate it.

~Elrahc

Comment

I'd set the RAM to "2.00" in the BIOS. That keeps it at 1:1.

With a 400 MHz BUS, your ram will be running at full 1:1 DDR800 speed. You may get better benchmarks/stability/performance with your ram at 1:1 than trying to run it at the full 1066 speed.

Comment

Alright, I'll give it a go. I just confirmed that it was at 2.40 which equals 960. I'll set it to a 1:1 ratio and benchmark it, then compare it with the 2.40 (as that is the closest I can come to 1066 apparently).

Any preferred benchmarking tools I should use? I've been using OCCT for the CPU testing and RealTemp. RealTemp shows a considerable difference in temperature compared to OCCT and CoreTemp, but I read it was the best for Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs so...

Anyways, thanks for the advice!

~Elrahc
          Last edited by Elrahc; 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I stress tested the RAM (with the new 2.00 setting which leaves it at 800) using OCCT and it quacked at me after about 15 minutes. I'm not sure how to interpret its results... I started Prime95 just now instead and chose the default "just stress test" option, and the Blended version. We'll see how that does.

I'm still not sure what you mean, Xenomorph, when you state I may get better performance with my RAM at a 1:1 ratio rather than it's default 1066. I'll Google around a bit on this.

~Elrahc

Comment

Hey bud, I have almost the exact same setup as you.
              EP35-DS3L
              E8400
              4GB OCZ 1000 (not the 1066)

My CPU OC's to 4.0 for me. I ran 2.4 ratio (on our board I am pretty sure thats actually 1:1) on my ram to get it as close to 1000 as I can. If I go over, it craps out. To be fully stable I have to add .3 volts on my ram to account for the little voltage drop. It ends up running at 2.1.

Comment

Hey, lanolar. I just discovered that the default voltage of the MB is apparently 1.8 and the OCZ memory specifications says 2.1. It also says the timing is 5-5-5-18, but apparently mine was set to 5-5-5-15. I tried manually setting the timing to 5-5-5-18 and upped it with 0.3 volts, but got a BSOD and a reboot for my efforts. Not sure if there are other settings I should look into at the same time (perhaps the CAS was different - there are so many settings I'm still unfamiliar with).

I didn't even know they sold a 1000 Mhz version of that RAM, btw. Anywho, I was wondering what your FSB is up to for you to reach 4 GHz, and also if that .5 multiplier (Fine Tune, I believe it's called) does anything - in OCCT it said my CPU was 3.6 instead of 3.8. My FSB at 400 with a 9 multiplier is 3.6, and the .5 fine tuner should boost it to 3.8 according to the BIOS.

I will try the 2.4 ratio and the .3 volt increase, and the timing at 5-5-5-18 again, but I would also like to know what you have your timing at, please. And thank you for your reply.

Edit:
                I tried the RAM at 5-5-5-18 with a .3V increase and it's sticking, but that's only when I don't overclock the CPU, hah. The RAM and CPU are basically not OCed with these settings - I'm just using what I read in the specifications of this RAM, as seen here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227289

I'm unsure of what the best setup is for me. Right now I've reverted back to my original setup. I tried the RAM at 2.0 instead of 2.4 for the 1:1 ratio, but when I ran Prime95 I got an error. I will run Prime95 now and see if I get an error again.

I have to admit that I am a little at a loss if this is a "great" setup or not, so further advice would be welcome. I'd love to try a higher FSB but I'm not sure how to go about it - I think I have to increase or decrease the voltage of the CPU to do it. I'd love to reach the 4 point oh.

~Elrahc
                Last edited by Elrahc; 06-11-2008, 12:00 AM. Reason: Updates

Comment

You will need to add some MCH as well, and for your 1:1 problem with ram multi going over 1066 lower your CPU multi back to 9 and raise your FSb a bit.

The sticky I posted will help you much if you are not sure about things

Comment

Originally posted by Elrahc View Post
                    Hey, lanolar. I just discovered that the default voltage of the MB is apparently 1.8 and the OCZ memory specifications says 2.1. It also says the timing is 5-5-5-18, but apparently mine was set to 5-5-5-15. I tried manually setting the timing to 5-5-5-18 and upped it with 0.3 volts, but got a BSOD and a reboot for my efforts. Not sure if there are other settings I should look into at the same time (perhaps the CAS was different - there are so many settings I'm still unfamiliar with).

I didn't even know they sold a 1000 Mhz version of that RAM, btw. Anywho, I was wondering what your FSB is up to for you to reach 4 GHz, and also if that .5 multiplier (Fine Tune, I believe it's called) does anything - in OCCT it said my CPU was 3.6 instead of 3.8. My FSB at 400 with a 9 multiplier is 3.6, and the .5 fine tuner should boost it to 3.8 according to the BIOS.

I am at 445x9. RAM +.3, MCH+.1, FSB+.1 Volts.
                    PCI clock set to 100 (not auto).
                    Power saving options turned off.
                    5,5,5,18 timings. The other timings at auto.
                    RAM divider at 2.4 (thats 1:1)

I will try the 2.4 ratio and the .3 volt increase, and the timing at 5-5-5-18 again, but I would also like to know what you have your timing at, please. And thank you for your reply.

Edit:
                    I tried the RAM at 5-5-5-18 with a .3V increase and it's sticking, but that's only when I don't overclock the CPU, hah. The RAM and CPU are basically not OCed with these settings - I'm just using what I read in the specifications of this RAM, as seen here: Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm unsure of what the best setup is for me. Right now I've reverted back to my original setup. I tried the RAM at 2.0 instead of 2.4 for the 1:1 ratio, but when I ran Prime95 I got an error. I will run Prime95 now and see if I get an error again.

I have to admit that I am a little at a loss if this is a "great" setup or not, so further advice would be welcome. I'd love to try a higher FSB but I'm not sure how to go about it - I think I have to increase or decrease the voltage of the CPU to do it. I'd love to reach the 4 point oh.

~Elrahc
                    First do me a favor and do this. Set your CPU to stock settings, run the ram at auto timings. Then run memtest to make sure your RAM is gtg.
                    Also, there is a notice on the OCZ boards that their newer RAM is starting to be 1.8-1.9 volts. Not the 2.1. So maybe just bump the voltage .2 to start vs the .3

The sticky on this forum for board settings is pretty good. Read it through for sure.

The .5 fine tuner will not bring you above the 9 multiplier (I know it seems like it will let you do that in the BIOS, but when you save and boot it sets to 9 max. Thats hard coded to the E8400. You can go 8.5 and lower, but not higher than 9.)

I am typing this on the system with the Gigabyte motherboard so I am only giving you the settings I have from the top of my head. If your still not having any luck, i can write down some more of my BIOS settings for you and post them.

Also, do you have the P35 or the EP35? The EP35 has some special issues when it comes to overclocking until a new BIOS is released.
                    Lano~
                    Last edited by lanolar; 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have the P35 motherboard, btw. I'm using the latest BIOS for it (F8f). I will download memtest and burn a CD right away, then edit this post with the results added. I'll do it with the RAM at auto and its voltage at default first. Then, if it's all good, I'll do it at .1 extra then .2. I'll skip .3 as it's proven already to be "iffy".

I haven't had much time to read the sticky yet due to overtime at work, but I hope to get to it tomorrow. :)

Edit:
                      I've run the 1st test for 10:48 hours and it passed without errors 17 times. That should do it, methinks. I'm starting the 2nd now, with a .1v increase, and it will run for about 8 hours if it doesn't stop automatically.

~Elrahc
                      Last edited by Elrahc; 06-12-2008, 09:11 AM.

Comment

The tests are all done now. The .1v and .2v failed, but they were done with auto timings so I don't know if that might have had something to do with it. I could use some help interpreting that.

~Elrahc

Comment

I would suggest not using a Beta BIOS if you do not have to when trying to find stability points. If you do have to then dont mind me

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            I would suggest not using a Beta BIOS if you do not have to when trying to find stability points. If you do have to then dont mind me
                            I hadn't thought of that. I'll try the latest stable non-beta version and repeat testing on .1v and .2v. Should I leave timings on auto when testing on voltage increases?

~Elrahc

Comment

Well it all depends on what you are testing at, and what you really want to run the ram at. I always suggest to not us Auto as sometimes it is WAY to much, and sometimes again way to little

Be sure you are using memtest86+ 2.01

Look up your ram if it is not written on the sticker, it could be 2.1V which would be +0.3

And if I had not said to you before, which I think I have) you need more MCH voltage to run 2x2 and you need a higher refresh to act delay 52-62, sometimes higher. If you want a full set of suggested timings from me let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X