GA-P35-DS3L Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3L Problems?

My computer was new in mid-January; ordered all parts online and someone else built it for me. It ran fine until April. I turned on the computer and was met with a black screen and the message that Vista was unable to communicate with my hard drive (or something similar, I can't recall exactly). After restarting the computer a few times, it finally started normally. Later, I noticed that my internet connection wasn't working even though it was fine on our other computer. When resetting my modem and router didn't work, I restarted my computer. This time I got a black screen and the monitor told me it was getting no signal. I opened my computer case and the hard drive was cool and all the fans were spinning. When I touched the area on top of the fan that fits over the processor, it seemed quite hot. (Although this is the only time I've ever noticed this problem. It hasn't happened before or since that I'm aware.) When I turned on the computer later, I got another black screen, I restarted, and everything was normal except that the date and time were incorrect. Furthermore, I was unable to shut-down the computer. Whenever I tried, it would reboot after a second or two. I had to unplug it to get it to shut off.

I was told that I need a new CMOS battery, so I had that replaced and everything was working fine until a couple of days ago. I'm having similar problems. The computer gave me a "CMOS checksum error" and "Windows error recovery" when I turned it on. After several restarts, I finally got it to work but the date/time were wrong again. It also wouldn't shut down, but kept rebooting instead. I unplugged it and replaced the battery again. I am now able to shut-down the computer normally and the date/time are fine.

However, I am still sometimes getting the "Windows recovery error" screen when I first turn on the computer, but it seems to come up randomly. When this happens, Windows will start to load if I select "start windows normally", I'll see a quick flash of a blue screen which lasts less than half a second, and I'm then sent back to the Gigabyte screen and the whole thing repeats. If I try starting in safe mode at the recovery error screen, safe mode hangs and will not continue loading and I have to restart. The one time I tried using the Vista installation disc, it told me I had no hard drive. Eventually, if I select "start normally" enough times, it will start normally.

Also, my sound quit for a while and then started working again, and it seemed to be random. The same with my internet connection, even though it was working fine on the other computer. It sometimes takes a very long time to get the computer to start and Windows to load, and when it does everything will be working very slowly. Sometimes everything will slow down only after it has been running a while.

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what could be wrong. Is it my motherboard? I can't believe I've had trouble with the battery; is that indicating some other problem? Can someone please help me?

My computer:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core Processor
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit Video Card
    Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W Power Supply
    Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Case
    Samsung DVD Burner with LightScribe
    Windows Vista Home Basic

Also, please note: Forgive my lack of know-how. I'm a pretty ordinary computer user so when all of you talk about things like "overclocking" "flashing the bios" and the like, I'm not really sure what it means and have never done any of that. I'm probably putting in too many details, but don't want to leave anything out because I don't know what may be important.

Re: GA-P35-DS3L Problems?

You need to have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it. You're never going to fix it by yourself unless you at the very least read through the motherboard manual and understand what all the BIOS settings do.

Comment

Sounds like you have ram thats erroring and has corrupted the HD and is trying to corrupt the BIOS too....Please run memtest86+ and report the results.
      Take care,
      Rick
      GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

HemiRick, thanks so very much for your reply and attempt to help me. I really appreciate it. I'm running memtest86+ now. So far everything is error-free, but it's only been running for a few minutes. I'll update again later. Again, thank you.

Toadeater, if I really thought that reading the motherboard manual and understanding everything about bios would help, I would surely do it. I don't know everything there is to know about computers, which is why I posted here asking for assistance. If the problem can't be fixed, i.e. faulty hardware, well...it's still under warranty and I'd like to know which item needs to be replaced so I can send it back. If it's not under warranty, I'll just buy a new one, and (unless it's the motherboard) do know enough to be able to replace it myself. (Except for ram -- I know where it goes but geez, it seems to take the strength of a lumberjack to get it there!) I suppose I could pack up the whole computer and take it over to the Geek Squad, but they'd charge me more than most of the parts of my computer cost just to walk in the door, and even then, I don't have a great deal of trust in most repair people.

Comment

Well the best thing I could say is since you do not know about these things, post some full images for us of your MIT section in the BIOS. Whether you are overclocking or not (or if the person who built your PC did) we need to see these settings. And even if you are not overclocking somethings should be manually set always anyway

To get into the BIOS when you first are booting your PC and see the Gigabyte screen keep hitting the "END" key, then once you are in there take pictures of the top and bottom of the MIT section and post them here

Comment

HemiRick, I ran memtest 86+ for 11 hours, it did 10 passes and found 0 errors.

Lsdmeasap, I'm sorry for being dense, but I don't understand what you're saying. I tried pressing the END key and what comes up says:

Q-FLash Utility v 2.05
            Flash Type/Size........MXIC 25L 8005 IM
            Keep DMI Data Enable
            Update BIOS from Drive
            Save BIOS to Drive

I see nothing about a MIT section and don't know what that is or how to take a picture. I didn't know what to do once I got to that screen and didn't want to take any chances on messing up anything, so I shut-down the computer.

Comment

Ohh sorry, I was tired! Push the Delete key to get in BIOS!!! MY Bad

That was the bios flash utility.

I meant take a pic with a camera once you do get in MIT section, you will see it. Long name is Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker

Comment

No problems Lsdmeasap. :) I was tired too! Instead of taking a picture, I've just copied down everything I saw in the MIT section. I know some of this probably isn't important, but I didn't want to leave anything out.

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
                CPU Clock Ratio [6X]
                CPU Frequency 2.00GHz (333x6)
                CPU Host Clock Control [Disabled]
                x CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) 200
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [Auto]
                C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
                Performance Enhance [Turbo]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Auto]
                Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 800
                ******System Voltage Optimized******
                System Voltage Control [Manual]
                DDR2 OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
                Normal CPU Vcore 1.35000V

Item Help

Menu Level
                R.G.B. function enhances VGA Graphics card bandwidth to get higher performance
                Warnings: VGA Graphics card is not guaranteed to operate normally.

Thanks for looking this over. I appreciate it so much.

Comment

Try these settings for a start.

CPU Clock Ratio [8X]
                  CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
                  x CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) 333
                  PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
                  Performance Enhance [Standard]

You should also look up the voltage needed for your RAM, because the motherboard might be undervolting it on Normal settings. To be on the safe side, you might want to give it +.1v or +.2v no matter what the BIOS says.

Do you have Gigabyte Easy Tune installed? In the PC Health tab it will tell you the RAM voltage being used and your temperatures. It's a good idea to run DDR2 RAM at 1.9v or 2.0v; if you have performance RAM, it might even need 2.2v (+.4v in the BIOS).

Download CPU-Z and look in the SPD tab, tell us the Manufacturer and Part Number.

Comment

The voltage needed by my RAM is 2.2V.

I wanted to check you with before I went ahead with any of the changes you suggested. When I looked at CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled] , I got this -- Warning: If enabled it, please set "System Voltage Control" to "Auto" to optimize system voltages. I should also change this then, correct? (I know I'm probably being too cautious by checking here first, but I just want to make sure I do everything right.) One other thing I wanted to ask. I have been looking through my MB manual, and I noticed that my RAM is single channel. Should I have this changed to dual channel, or does it even make any difference? The manual does not make this clear.

I downloaded both EasyTune 6 and CPU-Z. From these, I've gotten this info, which is probably more than you need, but I like to be thorough:

VCoreA -- 1.180V
                    VCore B -- is greyed out/blank
                    +3.3V -- 3.340V
                    +5V -- is greyed out/blank
                    +12 V -- 12.170V
                    -12V, -5V, Battery, Vcc3, and +5Vsb are all greyed out/blank

CPU1 Fan 809 RPM
                    Temperature: System 34C
                    CPU 29C

Memory:
                    Type DDR2
                    Size 2048 MBytes
                    Channels # Single

Timings
                    DRAM Frequency 400.1 MHz
                    FSB:DRAM 5.6
                    CAS# Latency (CL) 5.0 clocks
                    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
                    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
                    Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
                    Command Rate (CR) 2T

Memory Slot Selection
                    Slot #1 (Slot #2 is same)
                    Module Size: 1024 MBytes
                    Max Bandwidth: PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
                    Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
                    Correction: None
                    SPD Ext.: EPP

*Let me know if you need the info from the Timings Table.

Thanks once again.

Comment

I would suggest you manually try these settings. And do not mind the red warning, it is just there to remind you if you do not know what you are doing too much can kill your hardware

Where are you seeing Single channel for you ram? It should be dual if they are matched sticks. Please be sure you have them plugged into the same color slots on the motherboard. If they are not please do so

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
                      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
                      Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________4
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

Start with the highest setting and then lower as you have time to test by lowering one at a time and testing

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6 - 9-11 <<< (Use first)
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 32-42 (You can likely easily start with 38, or just keep at 42)
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________3-6
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 (likely with no overclock you can start with 7)
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 <<< Leave on Auto or Zero or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] +0.3 = 2.1 which is Fine for your ram, it may even work fine at 2.0. 2.2 is way to hot for that ram for sure so do not use it
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <<< For stability
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] <<< Since you are not overclocking or anything you can set this to what you see being used or a bit less likely

Comment

Lsdmeasap, I noticed that my ram was single-channel when I opened the case and looked at it. Also, if you'll look at the info I typed up in my last post, it says "Memory: Type DDR2; Size 2048 MBytes; Channels # Single." I did change it to dual-channel and was pleased because I was able to do it myself. Much easier than the ram on the last computer I had.

I have not had any problems with the computer lately; no "windows recovery error" or anything similar. However, I still don't know why I was getting those errors or why my CMOS battery is having to be replaced every two months.

I contacted Gigabyte through their support page and their reply basically told me to test my processor and MB by putting my processor on a different MB and a different processor on my MB and seeing if they were both still functional. I have no way of doing this. They also said that if my processor turns out to be functional, I should RMA my motherboard. I don't know whether to do this or not. Any suggestions?

I took your advice and my settings now look like this:

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
                        CPU Clock Ratio [8X]
                        CPU Frequency 2.66GHz (333x8)
                        CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
                        x CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) 333
                        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
                        C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
                        Performance Enhance [Standard]
                        System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.40]
                        Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 800
                        ******System Voltage Optimized******
                        System Voltage Control [Auto]
                        DDR2 OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                        PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                        FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                        CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
                        Normal CPU Vcore 1.35000V

However, I wasn't sure how to change anything else that you suggested.

And one last question...By changing these settings, will this fix the problems I'm having with my CMOS battery? I really don't want to have to change it so often, and feel that this is indicative of a bigger problem, but I still don't know what.

Comment

Most ram will do Dual channel as long as you have it in the correct matching color slots.

If your CMOS battery is really needing to be replaced I would say your PSU is dying and be looking to get a new one. I dont think your board would be draining it

Gigabytes answer to you about testing the CPU on a different board, what is that about? The CPU would have nothing to do with the CMOS battery if that is what they meant. My suggestion to you would be to either go ahead and buy a GOOD power supply or borrow one if you can for X amount of time and see if your battery still drains. I am not up on the latest GOOD PSU's you may already have one so dont think I am saying you do not.

You could maybe just have a bad 3V line on your PSU is all

You could also try a BIOS flash via Qflash with a floppy or USB to a newer NON beta BIOS. Here is the P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 BIOS page, click on Rev 1.0 if your board is not 2.0 before you download a BIOS and flash with it
                          GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

To see the rest of the timings I would have suggested to you it looks like you are using a older BIOS. So when in the BIOS on the MAIN page hit Control + F1 the screen will flash, then go into the MIT section and you will then see more settings

NO, the settings I suggest/suggested previously would have nothing to do with the CMOS battery. That would be a Board or PSU problem, or possibly a BIOS issue but I lean more towards PSU/board

Comment

Liz, if you don't know you most probably have a brand new power supply unless you dealt with a very shady builder, which I don't believe as you have all high quality parts. Are you sure you have Vista basic instead of premium??? That is surprising considering your parts lists.

The Corsair VX 550 is a mid range power supply and considered one of the best on the market and it only came out last year. Here are two reviews by two of the best power supply reviewers on the net.

[H] Enthusiast - Corsair VX550W vs. Corsair HX520W

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews - Corsair VX550W Power Supply Review

If you haven't changed too many cmos batteries see how the new battery works out first.

Comment

Merman, all of the parts were new in January. I ordered them all online myself and had someone else build the computer for me. And yes, I bought Vista basic myself.

I still don't know why I'm having problems with the CMOS battery, but apparently all of the other problems I was having were caused by a failing hard drive. I looked in the event viewer and saw thousands of "bad block" errors, so I downloaded SeaTools and my drive failed the test. Fortunately I already had everything backed up, so right now I'm using an old drive I had.

So far everything is running smoothly. Hopefully I won't be back here 2-3 months from now with another dead CMOS battery.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I appreciate your help more than words can say.

Comment

Working...
                              X