GA-MA-770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA-770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

The System: Windows XP (64-bit) with SP2 - Gigabyte ATX GA-MA770-DS3 Motherboard - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Socket AM2 5600+ Processor - Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W PSU - Dell SE198WFP 19" Monitor - Asus EN8600GT GeForce 8600GT Video - 8-Gig OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM - 2 Western Digital SATA WD1600AAJS 160Gig Drives (RAID 0) - Western Digital WD1600JBRTL 160Gig for backup - Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD Burner - Thermaltake CL-P0200 Mini Typhoon CPU Cooler - 4 Cooler Master SAF-S84-E1 80mm Case Fans

Re: GA-MA-770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

Do you have the PCI-e locked at 100?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Do you have the PCI-e locked at 100?
      At the time, I do not have anything in the PCIe (PCI Express?) slot. Is that something I need to set in the BIOS? I'm not sure what I need to do to set it.

Got home last night and 1) deleted the DVD drive from the Device Manager, 2) unplugged the SATA data connector from the motherboard to the DVD drive, 3) rebooted. The DCOM errors are still there, just not as many.

I found and installed a possible hotfix (Article ID : 949391) from Microsoft. It doesn't seem to make much difference right now. I am going to leave the DVD disconnected for the time.

A friend suggested getting an SATA PCI Express add-on card and run the DVD from it. The best price on better cards are around $20-$30. As I search for those who have tried using this method, they have a boat-load of conflicts as well.

Thanks.

Joe
      Last edited by josephezell; 06-05-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Yeah I meant PCI-e, it controls more then the graphics card, it also controls the disks and a few other things. It should be set to 100, especially if you are overclocking. But even if you are not it could be set a little to high

You should find it in the BIOS overclock page, if you do not see it go back to the main BIOS page and hit Control + F1 then the screen will flash and then go back into the overclock section and see if you see it

Comment

Cool. I'll give it a try tonight (I'm at work right now.)

Just to make sure we are on the same page ... the SATA data access I am using is on the motherboard, not on a separate add-on card.

Joe

Comment

Yeah I got ya, that is why I suggested to be sure about the PCI-e lane, SATA also goes thru there

Comment

Re: GA-MA770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

I'm still a little wet behind the ears when it comes to this particular BIOS. If I hit Ctrl+F1 while in BIOS, some of the additional features that appear are:
              Advanced Chipset Features

HT Link Control
              IH Flow Control Mode
              HT Link Tristate
              UnitID Clumping

PCIE Configuration
              PCIE_16 Gen 2 Speed Mode
              * Auto, Disable, SW Switch, HW Switch
              PCIE_1 Gen 2 Speed Mode
              PCIE_3 Gen 2 Speed Mode
              PCIE_2 Gen 2 Speed Mode
              PCIE_4 Gen 2 Speed Mode

PCIe Delay Time
              * 0 - 255

SB600 Spread Spectrum
              * Enable, Disable

PnP/PCI Configurations

PCI Latency Timer (CLK)
              * 32, 64, 128
              Is it the PCIe Delay Time you recommend me setting to 100? What about these other settings? What settings do you recommend? For the time, I'm not trying to over clock, just get the DVD to respond correctly.

Thanks.

Joe

Comment

No, those are not the ones,

The ones I mean would be on the same page as your cpu and ram settings, it is called MIT section on Intel boards I dunno about your though, but whichever has the cpu settings in it is where you should be looking. It is called >>>

PCI Express Frequency (MHz)

Comment

Re: GA-MA770-DS3 SATA Conflict?

LSD,

Thanks for the info. I found the settings, made the changes and that did not clear up my problem. I still got the infamous system lockup.

I am really stumped. Any additional help is appreciated.

Joe

Comment

Can you run Memtest86+ 2.01 on your ram? If not, try to do so on a different board, or borrow some other ram, it could be your issue

Comment

Originally posted by josephezell View Post

A friend suggested getting an SATA PCI Express add-on card and run the DVD from it. The best price on better cards are around $20-$30. As I search for those who have tried using this method, they have a boat-load of conflicts as well.
                      You should probably solve whatever is causing the problem but... I went the cheapo sata pcie1x card route ( not because of lockups ) and haven't had problems with a card based on sil3132 chip. try searching for that chip and your mobo/chipset, I didn't see a boat-load of conflicts in googling it for a minute.

If you go for that route, from my seaching it looked like the type with 4 ports selectable by jumpers are kinda funky, i got a 1 external 1 internal type and have no trouble burning dvd's over or backing up to external hd through it ( haven't tried both simultaneously! ). Based on pictures at least I couldn't spot a difference between the $20 and $40 cards, they all looked exactly like SI reference card, so i got the $20, though one of the $40 brands (iogear?) will plant a tree if you buy it...

And finally for the cheap brands at least, go to silicon image website and download bios/drivers from there, the bios to use is the one that starts with a b ( current b7405.bin ) assuming you dont want raid. mine was sold with the raid bios ( wth, 1 ext. 1 int and they ship with raid bios.... ). but flashing it was simple, have ncq/ahci/whatever.

Comment

Flummox, Okay, maybe a boat-load was an exaggeration. But, there have been some conflicts reported. Nonetheless, it is a shame to think the Gigabyte board will not do what is supposed to do without adding an additional card.

The SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card is $19.99 after $15.00 instant rebate at NewEgg.

And ...
                        IOGEAR is excited to announce its "Road to a Million Trees" campaign. In partnership with Trees for the Future, IOGEAR will plant a tree for every product sold on IOGEAR.com or through an IOGEAR GREEN initiative partner, with a goal of planting one million trees.
                        - - -

LSD, I just ran MemTest and got no errors on my RAM.

Again, thanks for any help in tracking down this problem.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by josephezell View Post
                          But, there have been some conflicts reported. Nonetheless, it is a shame to think the Gigabyte board will not do what is supposed to do without adding an additional card.

The SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card is $19.99 after $15.00 instant rebate at NewEgg.
                          yea, it should do what it's supposed to and you should persevere until satisfied, i just posted in case you go the 1x card route which has some flexibility advantages and you'd mentioned it. I got a syba as well the 1e11 or something, 1 internal 1 external, so i'd have a esata to back up to. I added the bit about the bios as I couldn't find precise instructions on other forums and the syba documentation is utterly incomprehensible. I'm on x48-DS4 so it probably doesn't apply to you but no conflicts, have had occasion to switch my boot hd to the pci-e1x card and no troubles booting off it then swapping my dvd back to it.

Comment

If I don't find a fix, I'll either have to go with the add-on card or replace the DVD with an EIDE version. Probably the first.

Thank you for your comments.

Joe

Comment

Ya, if you HAVE to I would get the add in card, no point in going backwards in DVD tech!

Have you tried it on all your other SATA ports and still have the same issues?

Comment

Working...
                              X