GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev 2.0) & Crucial Ballistix RAMs POST problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev 2.0) & Crucial Ballistix RAMs POST problem

One last comment is that according to its specs, this board can support up to 16 GB of memory. It's hard to understand why Row Cycle Time's max value is only 26. Strange... So I did a quick google and found this comment from RGone (DK 790FX-M2RS - Row Cycle Time (tRC) - DFI Club Global Support Forum

"According to 'macci' that works for AMD, the timing registers for DDR400 to DDR800 type memory will only allow setting tRC of 11 to 26 and all that is needed or useable with non-phenom type processor. This is why "oesen" is running a tRC of 11 and doing fine with the earlier style Dual Core processor with its' earlier memory controller."

I'll research some more...

Comment

Yeah, as I said i am not to sure about AMD but from that thread I also see them complaining that they wanted way more as well, and the guy who was using only 11 was that one guy. And they was also confused.

I do see some warnings in newegg reviews on this board to watch out for the low refresh allowance so it is a known issue

I wish I could help you more really, but I know nothing about AMD. If you would like PM me and I can send you urls to two great overclock forums with AMD specific sections that could be of more help then I for sure

Are you using CR 1 or 2?
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry but what's "CR 1 or 2"? ;-(

Comment

Command Rate 1 or 2

Comment

OK. I set for Command Timing: 2T (options are 1T, 2T), and for TwTr Command Delay: 3T (options are 2T, 3T).

None seems to work. I'm about to conclude the board is ... sick with these 4 Ballistix RAMs after shutting down overnight. Perhaps if I let it run 24/7, I would have no more worry... ;-)

Comment

Well wait and see what you get suggested on the forums I sent you to, but I think that board just cannot handle properly 4GB because of that one setting that you need 52 or more to run properly

but then again it could just be those Crucials, but I doubt any 4gb kit would work without being able to raise that over 26

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Have you added memory controller voltage? I am not sure what it is called in AMD? HT voltage? I mean whatever is the NB voltage or memory controller, you will need more for 4 sticks, and as I said above Row to Cycle time must be raised for 4 sticks as well
                omg. there can't be changed memory controller voltage on k8 (athlon64) unless you change the cpu voltage cause they linked together. only on k8l architecture (phenoms) you can tweak these two voltages separately
                and tRC timings shouldnt go any higher than it loosen it its Bank Cycle Time in fact and not (Row Cycle Time) cause that big number can only be changed on new p45 boards and all in the name of keeping some sanity to use new ddr3 modules on it.

i'm in process of buying one of but seeing these threads, and knowing that GigaSH*tByte have some serious issues on voltage fluctuations that especially hurts any kind of memory i asking myself is this the right decision. cause for Ballistix it's NORMAL to work @2,20V but not on crappy p35 gigabyte boards that usually burn them in three months just because voltage is fluctuating too much anything above 2,05.

and cpu voltage is also fluctuating on gS*itB nf430/520/560 boards, usualy unstably overvolts +0,02 or 3 digital scale up +0,008V but that wont damage cpu in their guaranteed life that much as it hurts for memory modules.

i just hope that it will work as stable with value memory modules as kn9 ultra that finally resolved almost all problems that it had in the begining of it miserable life.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  26 is the max? Is that board old?
                  are you on crack normally value memory settings 5-5-4-13-18-2T (CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR) (3 trrd) and for ultra overclocer settings @900MHz or 1100 with ballish*tix on p35 boards are 4-3-3-8-10-1T (2) and i even dont see how 4+4+3+2 is equal 10 or maybe memory adjust that to be hight enought cause that 10/18 (tRCD) is in fact MINIMAL recomended settings that can be adjust in bios and probably memory modules recalibrates themselfs if they cant work as tight as usere preseted
                  Last edited by grgaca; 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tqn View Post
                    OK. I set for Command Timing: 2T (options are 1T, 2T), and for TwTr Command Delay: 3T (options are 2T, 3T).

None seems to work. I'm about to conclude the board is ... sick with these 4 Ballistix RAMs after shutting down overnight. Perhaps if I let it run 24/7, I would have no more worry... ;-)
                    i wouldnt recommend to mess with twtr cause on kn9 ultra ("the best board in the world" :) ) system wont post w TwTr@2 somwhere beyond 860MHz on the same settings and memory on that voltage goes w/o any problems 1050MHz, and TwTr@1 is probably lowering memory stability lower than pc5300 (i wouldn surprise myself that 600Mhz is max with that setting). many settings in those boards based on mcp55 (550-570-590) are better not to touch and they probably wouldnt help when you need them

@tqn
                    are you tweaked that Trfc0 DIMMxx cause i leave em at default 125ns when ddr2 modul is in the slot and 75ns when is out that bios auto selects? maybe you tight them too much not too mention that ballistix usually works best at that lunatic high settings with only two modules inside.

remember you have amd with on chip mch that doesnt need that tight settings especcialy when it's clugged with lot of memory chips 4x16 is pretty much for a desktop cpu. maybe you have that stability w/ not to hight OCed Opterons but Athlons are value cpus and Venices E0 on s939 dint want to work in DC with more that 2 memory sticks so i'd say we're lucky that F2-F3-G1-G2 works flawlessly with even 6 sticks on pro/server boards just not CL4@800MHz

Comment

Ya, as I said in this thread long ago I do not know much at all about AMD, so my answers were only guesses

Comment

Working...
                      X