GA-EP35-DS3L Processor Voltage Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP35-DS3L Processor Voltage Problem

If it is not retaining your settings after ANY amount of days or tests it is NOT STABLE. No matter what you think.

Stable overclocks stay, period as stated above. Unstable ones can reset any number of places..... Cold reboots, 5 days later, 42 days later, one reboot later. A reset means one of two things, something is failing (Likely ram) causing your settings you Thought to be stable to be unstable, or they are just not stable to begin with as you think to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      If it is not retaining your settings after ANY amount of days or tests it is NOT STABLE. No matter what you think.

Stable overclocks stay, period as stated above. Unstable ones can reset any number of places..... Cold reboots, 5 days later, 42 days later, one reboot later. A reset means one of two things, something is failing (Likely ram) causing your settings you Thought to be stable to be unstable, or they are just not stable to begin with as you think to begin with
      Could it also be a problem with the MB considering the system works after clearing CMOS and resetting the overclock? It then "holds" these settings, but only if CMOS was cleared. That seems "buggie" ? ... don't clear CMOS & it won't take old settings that worked before... but clear CMOS & use old settings... then it "holds" and works with same old settings again.

So, why should CMOS have to be cleared to get it to work again??? Isn't this an indication of a probable "buggie" bios or MB? Clear CMOS and it works with same settings that will not work if CMOS is not cleared???

This "reset issue" seems to be happening with many users of this board using google searches.

I agree it could be any number of variables causing instability, but why should the bios CMOS have to be cleared to use settings that once worked fine?

Comment

Yes it is a issue you will find in google because tons of users by boards that have no clue on how to setup a bios and make it stable.

Clear CMOS is likely helping again because your settings are not fully stable

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Yes it is a issue you will find in google because tons of users by boards that have no clue on how to setup a bios and make it stable.

Clear CMOS is likely helping again because your settings are not fully stable
          Didn't you read my last post about them both a stock with only voltage increased and it didn't hold, this is NOT related to overclocking in any way, something in the cmos is screwing up, and for the record every other board i owned i NEVER had to clear the cmos just to raise the vcore - that in itself makes no sence, if they coded it that way well thats just not needed, they could just hide it like they do the other options and put a flashing warning or something when activated.

I'm gonna wait a month, if no bios update i'm just gonna trashem or sellem to a family member, they should be fine for a non overclocking system and go back to msi since their boards never gave me any problems whatsoever, i just don't need this nonsence.

I'm done and out

Comment

I found this forum while looking for a solution.

I just got a GA-EP35-DS3L. At default speeds, the VCore will not save. It has nothing to do with overclocking. The BIOS is simply ignoring VCore.

With my friend's GA-P35-DS3L board (non "E"), it runs stable overclocked with the VCore bumped. The same hardware (CPU, Arctic Cooler 7 Pro, etc) that runs rock-solid stable on other hardware can NOT run correctly on the GA-EP35-DS3L because of the VCore issue. It stays at the CPU's default and will not change for me.

It doesn't matter if the system is overclocked or at factory defaults for me. The VCore will not "stick".
            Since the system is running at stock speeds and the VCore still will not adjust (up or down), it doesn't seem to have anything to do with overclocking.

If I can find out that this is a BIOS issue and that a fix is coming, I will keep the board. Otherwise, I will RMA it. The manual mentions VCore control, the BIOS lists VCore control, but as of right now, me and MANY other people can NOT control VCore *at all*.

I got multiple BSODs in Windows before I realized that my VCore was not sticking. The overclocked speeds were staying just fine, but the VCore wouldn't budge.
            And yes, I went through the BIOS and turned off the usual stuff that prevents overclocking, and I didn't install the included software in Windows that prevents overclocking.

Comment

Same here, just bought the ep35ds3l and at default speeds, the VCore will not save for more than a few hours. The BIOS is ignoring VCore.

Comment

I had a similar vCore problem happen on my EP35-DS3R after switching from BIOS F2 to F3e. It wouldn't change the vCore from stock no matter what I set it to. I cleared the CMOS, but that didn't help. When I flashed back to F2 it worked again.

Comment

Ok, after resetting my CMOS (via jumper), changing the VCore actually saved. The VCore has saved even after powering down.

I was going nuts trying to get this thing to work, luckily, things seem to be working for me now. Once VCore adjustments "stuck", I was able to push my system as fast as I wanted.

Should we list the settings we have enabled/disabled? I don't know if they have any impact on VCore sticking.

- Reset CMOS (pull the battery or use a jumper).
                  - "Load Optimized Defaults"
                  - CPU Enhanced Half (C1E), 'Disabled'
                  - CPU EIST Function, 'Disabled'
                  - C.I.A.2, 'Disabled'
                  - Performance Enhance, 'Standard'

I believe everything else was at default. I was able to bump my 1.2875 VCore to 1.3xxx, 1.4xxx, etc.
                  Last edited by Xenomorph; 06-01-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Today when I rebooted, the system powered down and then back up - and the BIOS settings were back at Default!!!

VCore was back down to 1.2875v again.

The "CPU EIST Function" was also gone from the BIOS setup (regular and Ctrl+F1 view). I reset the CMOS via jumper again, and it was still gone.

I went to "Load Optimized Defaults", and after rebooting EIST was back again. I have no idea why it would disappear after resetting the CMOS, but then coming back after loading Optimize Defaults.

This BIOS is messed up.

Anyway, I'm back at 1.4v. At least I know I can recover quickly when the VCore/settings get messed up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenomorph View Post
                      Today when I rebooted, the system powered down and then back up - and the BIOS settings were back at Default!!!

VCore was back down to 1.2875v again.

The "CPU EIST Function" was also gone from the BIOS setup (regular and Ctrl+F1 view). I reset the CMOS via jumper again, and it was still gone.

This BIOS is messed up.
                      Yes, that happened with the F3e BIOS on my DS3R too. That's when it stopped setting the vCore. When I noticed EIST was gone I decided to flash back to the old BIOS. Didn't even have to reset anything. The updates Gigabyte did to the recent BIOSes have something screwed up, I hope they fix it because the old BIOS gives me double-boots with overclocks over 3.6GHz.

Comment

It lives, no it wasn't imaginary, no i'm not insane!

Yea i'm being a smart #$%, but i think gigabyte owes me atleaste that much after the way i was treated over this imaginary issue.

Comment

My vcore resets too :(

If reset the bois and try to change the bios vcore its hit or miss if it changes vcore. If i do get it to change it resets if i turn the computer off for even 5 hours. help guys my e4300 wont make it past 2.97 with the boards "normal" vcore of 1.298. If i set it at 1.36 i can go to 3.4ghz.

Comment

Registered just to convey this delicious little morsel of information:

Beta Bios F5c: RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Not "officially" released by Gigabyte. Flashed it up and I'm now running my E8400 overclocked several days now at 4.3ghz so suffice it to say it's working. Speedfan/CPU-Z both show an increase in the BIOS voltage and it is saving. As with all Gigabyte BIOS make sure you restore Optimized Defaults after flashing.

You're welcome

Comment

dear god i hope that helps. Ill try it when i get home. If it does Ill buy the memory to go higher. What system and cooling specs you got to go to 4.3ghz!

Comment

...and here is another same problem, but with an EP35-DS3. Vcore did save at above default speeds initially but after a night being powered down it will only boot with default vcore no matter what vcore is selected within the bios

Has anyone tried the beta bios listed above with any success in allieviating this problem?

And GB rep - when can we expect a fix for this obvoiusly known issue?

[edit] I should note that I'm currently using bios F3d but had similar issues with F3b
                                Last edited by guardian452; 06-27-2008, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X