Fan: Zalman CNPS9700LED
    HD: WD 500GB SATA 3gb

Existing Components:

Case: CoolerMaster Case
    PSU: Rosewill 500W PS
    Video: BFG 7900GS OC
    Drives: Floppy Drive
    Toshiba DVD +-RW Burner

All previous components worked great. All new parts were previously unused, with possible exception of the CPU which was an OEM purchase.

When I turned it on for the first time, it powered on, without video. I noticed the fans, CPU fans memory and mobo lights come on and stay on for a few moments. It then shutdown on its own, never displaying video. A few moments later, it turned itself back on and repeated the process again.

With the install, the only odd thing I noticed was that the mobo had a 24 pin ATX power connector and my PSU only had the 20 pin connector. I connected it as it would allow me to.

I just now went and tested the 1 RAM stick in each slot and each time it restarted as it had before. There is no audible beeps when this process is happening.

I removed all of the RAM and I got the speaker to beep 3 times.

I removed the video card and turned on for a second and went right back off. No beeps.

I am hoping all I need to do is to get an older CPU and flash the BIOS as I really like this setup.

Any assistance would be great!

Paul

Re: GA EP35-DS3R problems on initial startup

That sounds like what you may need to do, borrow one or buy a cheap older one on ebay or you could get a pentium d or celeron for 45-50$ then resell it once you are done or return it if you do it fast enough.

Or you could borrow one.

One last thing to check first, that ram may not default to or work at 1.8, which the board needs to start. Most ram will default to 1.8 and then you can adjust it, but some will not start that way at all. If you have some older or other ram I would try a stick of that, or borrow some before you go off buying a new CPU. But yes you may need to flash to F2 at least

Some ram may have compatibility issues, so that is yet another reason to borrow or find a different stick of ram first if you can. but it is likely that your board came with F1 BIOS which will not support the 8400

If and when you do flash DO NOT use @BIOS, use Qflash and a floppy or USB stick
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-30-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

would ddr 400mhz work? I have 4 sticks of this.

that was what I was using in my previous setup.

I have an Intel Core 2 duo E4300 at the office that I could borrow if this is old enough.

Thoughts?

Comment

No, it would have to be DDR2, DDR and DDR2 have different "Keyed" spots in the pin arrangement so one would not fit in the other

That CPU would work though for sure

Comment

Ok, thanks for your help.

I also have some DDR2 at the office in that computer.

I guess it'll have to become a guinea pig tomorrow.

Comment

Yeap, sounds like you are good to go with the testing, Like I said I would try the ram first to be sure that isnt it. That way you dont have to redo the CPU twice if you dont need to.

Good luck with it, if you have any issues once you get going feel free to post back!

Comment

Success!

I swapped the xms2 pro series for 2 sticks of xms2 512 sticks and it started up without any issues.

Now, I am going to spend some time with the User's Manual to see how I can get my 4 GB of RAM to work.

Comment

Well, if two or one of those XMS sticks wont work with a voltage increase they may be incompatible. There are too many models of XMS for me to guess which yours is, you you will need to look at the sticker on the ram or the specs where you bought them and with the other ram in Raise the DDR2 Overvoltage to your XMS's voltage 1.9 (+.1) - 2.1(+.3) and then shut down and put in your XMS ram

I do suggest you try to get 2x1 running voltagewise first then I can give you suggested timings for 4x1, which you do need some different then using just 2x1

But the voltage is probably the issue because I do not see any that run at 1.8 which is the board default. So if you raise the voltage with the other ram in then shut down and put in the XMS and it still does not work then it is either incompatible or DOA (Which is unlikely with 4 sticks that they all be DOA)

Comment

ATXgamer (or advice from Lsdmeasap),

Keep us posted if you would. I have nearly the same setup:
                  Mobo: GA EP35-DS3R
                  RAM: (2x2gb) Corsair XMS 2GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-18 timings 1.9v ( TWIN2X4096-6400C5 )
                  CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
                  Fan: AC Freezer Pro 7
                  HD: WD 500GB SATA 3gb

First boot, would not post. Just kept trying to reboot. Swap RAM around. Finally got it to boot with one stick (but not with the other). Installed XP sp3 32bit. Runs fine. Just can't get it to work with other stick or with both (Just the same one).

Also, what are the recommended SATA sockets for the HDD and the DVDrw drive. I currently have the HDD in orange and the DVDrw in purple. Does it make a difference?

Any help is appreciated.

I've read there is problems with the Corsair memory. Has anyone had success with any 2x2gb setups? If so, what? Preferably something affordable.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!
                  Last edited by Moopile; 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Here is 4x1 suggested starting point. Start with the higher settings and move down ONE AT A TIME and test after each move, I say this because if you move more then one you wont know which is causing the errors

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40] = 800Mhz
                    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
                    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4-5 Depending on your ram spec
                    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4-5 Depending on your ram spec
                    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4-5 Depending on your ram spec
                    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12-15 Depending on your ram spec
                    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
                    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
                    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
                    Refresh to ACT Delay______________42-52 May need up to 62+
                    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
                    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
                    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on Auto or Zero Or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
                    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
                    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
                    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V - +0.150V] you may need at least +.125 for 4x1

Comment

The RAM I currently have running said that they run at 2.1v on the heat spreader, which is why I actually went and bought an extra stick of RAM this morning on the off chance that these didn't work.

I will bump up the overvoltage setting on the current ones and see what happens.

Here is the details on the Corsair xms2 pro ones I would like to run.

CM2X1024-6400C4PRO
                      XMS6404v2.2
                      4-4-4-12
                      800 MHz
                      1024 MB
                      XMS2-6400

Vista Ultimate 64-bit just finished installing, system appears to be running pretty good. I am going to get SP 1 installed and then change those overvoltage settings for the current memory.

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

@moopile the drive ports do not matter unless you are doing AHCI or RAID

For 2x2Gb you will need 52-62 Refresh to act, and the same above voltage increases except set ram to 1.9. You say the "Same one stick" will not work, even by itself? If so that stick is bad and you should RMA the set

Comment

@ATX well you should be able to run those with 2.1V anything over 2.1 I suggest a fan on the ram. But most rated to 2.2 or more can run just fine at 2.1, try setting it to that with your 512's and then put in the ones you want to use. You can and possibly will need to also set the rest of the timings with the 512's in which will be fine too, and then save and shut down and put in the other ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            @moopile the drive ports do not matter unless you are doing AHCI or RAID

For 2x2Gb you will need 52-62 Refresh to act, and the same above voltage increases except set ram to 1.9. You say the "Same one stick" will not work, even by itself? If so that stick is bad and you should RMA the set
                            Thanks for the quick reply. I will try the settings later. I have to get some sleep.

I had the same thoughts about the 2nd stick (doa). I was just hoping the one was more tolerant and after tweaking some settings, I could get it working too.

Anyway, again if anyone gets 2x2 working let me know. THere are none listed on the memory list on gigabytes website. They did not even have a memory list posted Wednesday when I ordered the mb. I may just have to go 4x1 if ATX gets his working.

Also, I am running the F2 bios, any thoughts on the newer one helping me. I hate to flash if it won't make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              You can and possibly will need to also set the rest of the timings with the 512's in which will be fine too, and then save and shut down and put in the other ram.
                              I presume you are referring to the 4-4-4-12 settings?

Should I change anything more on the advanced settings?

Comment

Working...
                              X