EP35-DS3 - shutdown problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3 - shutdown problem

Last edited by digitron; 05-12-2008, 08:40 AM. Reason: new informations about problem

Re: EP35-DS3 - shutdown problem

There is several places in vista power options to disable sleep. I suggest you set them all to "Sleep Never" I used to hate that! But now every install this is one of the first things I do!

Here is the places you need to change >>>

This should help you, if not let me know if you still dont get it. This problem you have I also have and hated when I first started using vista! And with Gigabyte boards having sleep issues I now never use sleep and always when installing soon as I install turn all of the above off, then UAC off next

Comment

thanx for the effort. When I installed Vista first thing I do was to set that options just like on your photos. Also UAC (user account control ?) is turned off.
      Problem is still there.
      madness :)

Comment

Are you SURE you have set all as I have above? Sounds like you may need to repair your vista install?

In the BIOS on the same page as ACPI suspend type do you have "SORT-OFF By PWR-BTTN set to Instant Off? If not set that and see if it fixes it. If not I am not sure as that is the only things I change to fix mine when I install
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-12-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

You can run this and see if it fixes it, you will need to reinstall all updates again afterwards >>>
          sfc /scannow

Yes there is a space and it is needed just so you know

Comment

Yep, I'm sure. Vista repair? Well, this is brand new installation from yesterday. Day before yesterday I bought new cpu, motherboard, memory and graphics. Yesterday installed vista... everything works fine except shutdown.

now I'm gonna reboot to check bios settings again.

Comment

still nothing...

Comment

Ahh well ok, Then no repair needed. I can tell you until I found those options I also hated this feature, so just be sure you are checking them all over twice.

Did you Button turn red for shutdown on the start menu? If not then maybe you are not hitting apply or something in the power options, it should look like this when done correctly >>>

Comment

yes it's red. I'm sure that I hit apply. I'm not drunk, yet
                  :)

I hit shutdown on above icon or select shutdown in right menu.. just goes to standby.

any other ideas?

Comment

Hmm, well that is strange. Especially since you have the red icon, as shown that should be for sure shut down. Did you check that setting I mentioned in the BIOS the PWR BTTN one?

Do you have the Intel Inf installer installed? IS there any ACPI or other driver issues shown in device manager? If not look thru event viewer and see if there is something causing a error when you hit shutdown

You can disable Hibernation all together that may help. I do on some and not on others so I cannot say for sure if this is why mine works or not as I do not have all of them here to test. but My machine I am on now it is disabled and I have no issues >>>

Windows places a file on your hard drive that it uses when your computer goes into hibernation mode. If you do not use hibernation mode, you may want to disable hibernation and clear the file off your hard drive to free up some space (the file will use as much space as you have in physical memory, so if you have 1GB of RAM, it's going to use 1GB of your hard drive space).

There are two ways of disabling it:
                    To disable Hibernation using Disk Cleanup:
                    1. Click Start/ All Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ Disk Cleanup
                    2. If prompted to choose a drive, select the drive in which Windows Vista is installed onto and press OK.
                    3. Disk Cleanup will scan the hard drive and present you with a list of options.
                    4. Check "Hibernation File Cleaner", and then click OK.
                    5. When asked "Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?" click on the Delete Files button.

To disable hibernation using the Command Prompt:
                    1. Click Start, All Programs, and then right click on "Command Prompt".
                    2. From the context menu click on "Run as administrator".
                    3. If User Account Control prompts you to allow the action, click on Continue.
                    4. In the command prompt window, type "powercfg -H OFF" (without the quotes).
                    4. Close the Command Prompt window.

Or thru Gpedit

1. Open a Command window and type gpedit.msc Then follow below

Computer configuration-->Administrative Templates-->system-->Power
                    Management-->sleep settings: disable both "allow standby states" and run
                    gpupdate to have these take affect.
                    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-12-2008, 01:58 PM.

Comment

So, let's go:

- In device manager everything is OK, no yellow marks
                      - in event viewer also everything OK
                      - no Intel Inf installer installed (only chipset drivers from gigabyte site)

I did what you said - turned off hibernation and disk clean up.
                      Also in gpedit.msc all sleep settings was "not configured". I have set it tp turn off when in press power button and etc.
                      Now I'm gonna shut it down to see what's happening.
                      One thing.... in safe mode when i click to shut down, disks went off but picture freezed up! It just displays "shutting down" and freeze up, no mouse no keyb....

let's try to shutdown :)

Comment

nope... problem is still there.

PS: i checked that option in BIOS you mented (instant off)

Comment

Ahh well I know you hate to hear it but it sounds like a Vista re-install or repair may be needed

Inf is the chipset installer, so that is good.

Is your MIT all on auto? If so that could be causing issues as well, you should manually set things up

Crucial dont tend to work well with GA boards from all I keep seeing just so you know. Do you have a different set to test with? Have you ram Memtest86+ rev 2.01 on those sticks to be sure they are ok?
                          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

we will try it!
                            MIT is on auto. I'll try to set it manual. Then I will test memory.

Comment

Yeah best on auto. Let me know your CPU freq and I can give you suggested settings, aside from cpu voltages as I have not used a 45nm cpu yet

Comment

Working...
                              X