Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robust Graphics Booster

Hi All,

I have registered to ask a question here... I am having a problem with my PC crashing at what seems random intervals, only while gaming, while it passed any test I threw at it during extended periods.

One of the options I am looking at is, maybe my VGA keeps OCing (sneaky sneaky).

My mb is ga-p35-ds3 rev 2.1. I have this RGB option that I can't seem to be able to disable (it's only auto,fast,turbo). Bios f13a at the moment. Vga is gigabyte 9600gt, I already set pcie frequency to 100mhz manual but I'd really like to make _sure_ RGB is OFF and my stuff is not getting OCed sneaky sneaky style. Is there any way to disable RGB and make sure of this?

A little background info: for some reason I don't want to go into right now, 9600gt video card gets overclocked if you OC the pcie frequency this is why I'm messing with pcie / rgb settings etc. Also this OC increase is not reported in software. Since the pc only crashes in games at every few hours, the store where i got my stuff from made it clear on phone that there's no use for me to take anything back since they will just do the same as me (test with 3dmark). So since I am stuck I am trying to debug and find on my own what is going wrong, and one step is to make absolutely sure my VGA is not getting OCed. I did try and disable all the 'unnecesary' options like c1e, eist, tm2 and the like so far, I can't disable RGB.

Thanks!

Re: Robust Graphics Booster

Auto is where you want to put it, or fast. That way it does not go into turbo. Is there a Reason you are using a Beta BIOS? If not I would go back to the non beta it may fair better with your card

But no, there is no OFF

But just so you know it does not overclock the card at all, it only increases the available bandwidth on the PCI BUS so that more can be used for your card

If you check with GPU-z you will see that with either of the options your clocks stay the same >>>>
    techPowerUp! :: Downloads
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-11-2008, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I upgraded to beta since I am having this random crash every few hours and in a month I have failed to narrow it down to a specific component. This was one of the things I have tried that didn't work. :)
      Thanks.

Comment

Random crash eh? What kind of crash? BSOD, freeze or what? Whats your full specs and your overclock maybe I can help

Comment

OK I will post here too maybe someone has some good idea :)

System:
          CM Stacker 830
          Enermax Noisetaker EG425AX-VE 420w psu
          Gigabyte P35-DS3 rev 2.1 f13a bios (originally f10)
          Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz (E8200), factory cooling
          Kingston KHX8500D2K2/2G (2 x 1Gb dual-ch)
          Gigabyte NX96T512H-B (Nvidia 9600GT)
          M/B integrated sound
          Samsung SATA 200GB 7200RPM & Samsung SATA 250GB 7200RPM
          NEC DVD-RW

In certain games like World of Warcraft, Eve Online, or HL2 (just checked the demo) PC crashes as in, black screen, I get "No Signal", sometimes the last sound is caught in loop. I must press Rest button. It can happen anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours of playing and it is not connected to any specific area/event. So far I crashed exact same way in linux (WoW with Wine), WinXP, Win 2k8 server. Win2k8 was most stable, sometimes 3 day w/o crash, altho worst was 5 crashes shortly after another after which at 6th reboot I played for another hour with no problem. I tried a total of 7 diff. drivers for these OSes including Gigabyte drivers and Nvidia drivers for the VGA.
          But this can be anything not necessarily VGA, so not sure. Tests conclude:
          - Orthos stable 16 hours
          - Memtest86 stable 6 hours
          - 3dmark06 all tests in loop stable 6 hours
          Checked PSU output 3.3, 5 and 12v rails with DMM and voltages are in normal parameters and rock stable under any kind of load. My DMM showed voltages with 2 decimals and it was stable so I think I should be fine (for ex. 12.18V under graphical stress etc).

Temps are 40-50c for CPU and 50-65c for gpu depending on load. Yes I kept alt-tabbing from game for hours to check GPU-Z output.
          I am thinking it still can be 1) psu (seems rock stable output but who knows? I am not hardware guru) 2) ram (memtest/orthos should have shown any error but hey who am I to know for 100% certain?) 3) vga (thats a tough one, no way for me to see if it is hardware issue) 4) MB issue with pcie slot/bus or maybe 5) any really odd incompatibility issue between any of these components.

1 thing I can state for certain after debugging for weeks, I can not reproduce the problem it just happens randomly. I would like to find and/or reproduce the problem, would make it easy to either 1) fix it myself or 2) get the problematic item replaced in warranty. This is my biggest problem I think, the inability to reproduce / find the issue. I bought this CM STACKER case for better cooling (just in case eh even if temps showed OK), now I am working on getting a new PSU too but to be honest I would love to find the problem before I buy new items to replace everything. Too expensive test :)

So if any ideas please don't hesitate to share. I know this might be a very generic problem but it also might very well be related to the 2 Gigabyte pieces I have (MB or VGA). :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for your kind assistance!

PS: Forgot to add I don't OC anything. I should not for the relatively old games I play. :) One thing I tried, my Kingston memory defaults to 5-5-5-18/800mhz/1.8v on Auto and I tried manufacturer settings 5-5-5-15/1066mhz/2.2v, I also tried keeping it same (5-5-5-18/800mhz) only giving 0.1v just in case if stability issue with RAM. Did not matter at all.

Comment

Hmm well sounds as if you have done all the proper things! And sounds also as if it SHOULD be working with all those tests and no errors. It does sound memory related to me though, have you ran memtest for a few hours using only Test #2 and then a few more using Test #5? I would because if you ram is failing it will fail with those tests, and that could be why it happens randomly during games.

Do the tests at stock, if that is 1066, use 1066 but I would suggest 2.1 for the voltage unless you have a fan on the ram. If it fails RMA it for sure, I suggest Mushkins and if you cannot afford those G.Skills are also good.

But yeah it sounds ram related to me, but it could aslo be the card, only way to kniw if that is it would be to play your games witha different card....And we cant all do that!

Comment

I only ran memtest86 with the default test it starts after booting up. It did 6 full passes which I assume include #2 and #5 too, but I will try tonight to leave it run #2 and next time I am afk for a long time, #5 just to see.
              Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

Yes, but only for small amounts. When I do memtesting I do one or more full passes, and then a hour or so of 2 and a hour or so of 5. If it is going to fail it will fail one one of those for sure

Comment

first bet is PSU...personally i prefer at least 500W for a Core2Duo system with gfx card...
                  good luck

Comment

At stock clocks 13-14A at +12V rail should be enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X