P35-DS3l Ram issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3l Ram issues

hi. i recently purchased a p35ds3l with a 2x2 kit of ddr2 1066 by gskill. everything worked and the bios recognized it but when i tried to install windows i got the blue screen. i found out one of my ram sticks was dead.

anyway, now i am running 1 2gig of ddr2 ram but with stock settings in bios.
    cpuz says the timings are at 5-7-7-20 2T under the memory tab. im debating whether i should fix the timings or let them be. would i see an improvement in performance for gaming if i set them? normally they should be at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v. i raised the voltage +.3 just in case.

also under spd section of cpuz it says my max bandwidth is pc2-6400 (400MHz) but in the bios it shows 1066..

system specs
    silverstone 700 watt psu
    p35-ds3l
    e8400
    8800gt
    320gig hd
    RAM--- 2x2 G.skill F2-8500CL5-2GBPK (using 1 stick because one is dead)
    i know the ram isnt in the supported list for this board so let me know if i should get new ram.

thanks

forgot to mention mobo revision 2.0
    Last edited by manoots; 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM.

Re: P35-DS3l Ram issues

That ram will work fine in your board! Are you sure the stick is dead? I ask because there are some settings that are needed for 2x2 sticks, and for 1066 speeds

What are you trying to run the CPU speed and ram speed at?

Yes manually settings things is best, and would be faster.

Did you test this "Dead" stick by itself, or how did you decide it was dead?

Please try both sticks again if you are not positive one is dead, Maybe you just had wrong timings or voltages. Since you didnt post a speed, I cannot suggest cpu or ram settings for the uper part of MIT section. But for 2x2 at 1066, I would use this for the memory timings.

Start with the higher then work your way down. Ill post a full suggested settings once you tell me what you are trying to run the cpu and ram at. Items in BOLD are needed for sure for 2x2gb sticks

Start with the highest setting I suggest here!!!

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    .................................................. ....
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    .................................................. ...............
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / Auto / 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1v
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V -+0.150V] <<< Likely .1 or .125 will be fine

Comment

thanks for the reply. when i installed the computer i started getting blue screens while trying to finish installing windows. happened about 4 times. i took the computer to a shop near me and had them find the problem. they told me they tried installing windows with each stick and in different slots and one came out to be the bad one.

as far as the speed, everything is stock. im not that much of an overclocker.
      e8400 @ 3GHz reported 333fsb in bios
      ram is showing 1066 in bios as well.

everything stock except ram voltage which i upped to +.3v.

one more thing. i dont want to sound like a total noob, but how do you get those options in the bios?

Comment

Ok if you do not see those options you likely need to update your BIOS (Do not use @bios program in windows, flash from Qflash with a USB stick)

To see them now, on the main screen of the BIOS push Control + F1 then go into the M.I.T. Section and you will see them.

Most of the newest BIOS's you do not have to use this hotkey combination

As for the ram, I would personally test it myself before accepting that it is dead, with Memtest86+ 2.01 >>>
        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Run on that "Dead" stick only if you can get it to boot at Stock settings, run a full test (Like just let it run when it starts until it is done) and then I would run Test #2 for a half hour or so, then Test #5 for a hour. This is how you choose a test # >>>
        1. First press C

2. then 1

3. then 3

4. and finally select the test that you want to run

5. press Enter

6. and then 0 to get it running

Comment

im not sure if i understood correctly. i can press control f1 to get those options now? im afraid of updating the bios because of all the problems i have been hearing. and also i dont have a usb stick.

i tried booting from the stick i was told was dead and got bsod's all the time. very unstable even with the upped voltage.

Comment

You can use Floppy for a BIOS update, if you dont have floppy or usb then you wont be able to update SAFELY. It is not something you HAVE to do anyway, I was just letting you know the newer BIOS you dont have to use the hotkeys.

Yes, you push Control + F1 on the main Page, it will flash very quickly, then go into MIT section and you will see more options

Well, it could be a dead stick then! If you RMA the ram, they will likely want BOTH sticks, just so you know. You could call and see if you can get around that, but likely not

Comment

i just cant get a break
              i dont have extra ram to play with so im gonna have to order a new set. what do you suggest?

Comment

I suggest < Mushkin brand!!! If you live in the US I suggest also to shop at Newegg.com

If you want The best the Redlines are 1000Mhz but cost the most. The next under those is the XP sets (The black ones) and then after those are the HP sets which are blue. I use these type, they overclock well are are decently priced. They have 1066Mhz of both the XP and HP models as well

Comment

im also wondering why cpuz is showing me this:

does it look right for 1066 ram?

Comment

That is proper. 1066 ram is 6400 ram but you have to manually set the timings and speed to 533 for 1066

Which is why alot of users buy 800 or 667 ram and just overclock it to there. Not all will do that, that is why the sell 1066 ram it has been tested to run at 1066 is all. but it is the same chips used for 800 ram. To run 800 ram at 1066 all you do is buy good 800 ram and set the timings to 555-15/18 and adjust the speed and possibly voltages.

Comment

sounds good man. thanks for your help on this

Comment

Anytime

Comment

Working...
                        X