E6600 Overclocking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E6600 Overclocking question

I have the GA-EX38-DS4, and am overclocking a E6600 with 4x1 DDR2 800 ram.

I have it pretty stable at 3.45 gHz, but I have the ram timings set to normal and the voltage is pretty high at 1.40. But my orthos load temps are 55c.

Is this okay? What will I gain by twiddling with the ram some more on manual (I tried this as well, I couldnt post most of the time with the manufacturer timings of 4-4-4-12). The divider is 2.

3.45 is nothing to scoff at, so I am wondering if temps are cool, the overclock is good, what do I gain by spending 90% of my time to get that last 10% of performance?

Re: E6600 Overclocking question

Yeah those are good temps, and you do mean 1.4 for CPU voltage right? That is fine, even up to 1.45 or more if your temps stay under 65ish at load.

Benchmarks is all you will likely notice improvement in over what you have now. If you do want some full manual memory suggestions for what setting you are using, and possibly 3.6, Please post your ram brand and model

For 4x1 you for sure need some changes in the memory subtimings, and some MCH voltage adjustments as well

I am not sure if you are just asking if your temps and such are fine, and about what improvements you will see going higher.....or if you do WANT to go higher possibly. Let me know and I can make some suggestions for you

Comment

Im using the GA-EX38-DS4 with 4x1 GeIL DDR2 800 Newegg.com - GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The manufacturer timings on this stuff are 4-4-4-12, 1.9-2.3v. But if I manually set this, I cant post. I adjusted the MCH voltage as you had suggested in another thread, but there was no change.

Im not sure what the timings are being set to if I leave it on normal (or is it auto?), but they work and I have pushed the cpu to 3.5 with 1.45v (core). Load temps were around 61c.

I am actually not into crazy overclocking- what I want to do is find out what the max my system is capable of, and then back it off 10-15% of that.

My target is to run at 3.6 with load temps under 60c. But the best Ive gotten was 3.5 at 62c so Im not sure I can get there. That required 1.425v and was only orthos stable for an hour.

But its weird, I am at 3.4 now, load temps are 51c, with 1.375v. But getting that last .1 or .2 gHz is a pain. I would have thought going to 1.4v would give me 3.5 at 55c or so, but nope.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comment

What are you menaully setting it to? What CPU and ram speed are you trying to run that you cannot? Let me know an I will make some suggested MIT settings for you

For 3.6 Start with the higher settings, and be sure Performance Enhance is on Standard>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________4
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
        Rank Write to READ Delay________9-11
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-6
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62 << this is likely your problem area with Auto
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
        Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 / AUTO / 0 << do not set, so leave on one of these

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] +.3 =2.1 +.4 =2.2 Anything over that I woudl suggest you add a fan to your ram. I would personally run them at 2.1

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V - +0.15V] I would start with .15 and then once stable see if you can bring down

CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.45 or more, you will have to find this out yourself]

And yes 3.5 may be the "Sweet" spot for your chip, and anything above that may require better cooling and more volts. And with no fan on your NB it is going to be very hot with 4X1gb sticks. Get yourself a 40mm fan and add it on there, this is likely causing your issues as well

Comment

Okay, so I got it to boot at the settings you provided at 3.6. Cool!

But it wasnt orthos stable at all, not cool.

Its looking like 3.42 or so is my happy place- Im orthos stable there right now with temps at 53c using your configurations. I could probably back down some of the voltages as well to try and cool it off a bit more.

Thanks very much for the help and Ill let you know where I end up stable!

Comment

What HSF are you using?

Comment

Yeah, some chips start to scale very highly after a certain point and need much more vcore then slightly a lower setting.

53C if that is under load is not too hot. What VCore was you trying for 3.6 and what is the actual load voltage, and what were those temps then with that Voltage?

If temps were safe and under 65ish you could likely still add more vcore as long as the temps stay down

Comment

The vcore I used to boot 3.6 was 1.475. Temps popped up pretty fast with orthos and bsod'ed.

It may be better at lower vcore, but I also tried 3.5 at vcores 1.40, 1.425 and 1.45 and although I didnt bsod, I wasnt orthos stable either. And the temps were pushing 60c+.

I just ran a 7hr orthos at 3.42 with 1.375vcore temps never got above 54c. It seems like that ramping effect is after 3.45 or so for my cpu.

But how do I check the load voltage?

And for wayout, Im using a Tuniq Tower 120.

Thanks!

Comment

Watch your load voltage by using CPU-z Or everest (Located in computer then sensors) it will drop at Load, and this is what you will need to increase BIOS vcore setting over. For example, you may set 1.5 in the BIOS but at load it may drop to under 1.45 and that will fail. You need to watch and adjust, some voltage settings have more of a drop then others, but either way you are going to need to get it up there

CPU-z

CPUID

Everest Ultimate

EVEREST Ultimate Edition Download - Softpedia

Comment

Working...
                  X