Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contents of Flash drive not showing up when trying to update with Qflash -- Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contents of Flash drive not showing up when trying to update with Qflash -- Question?

I'm trying to flash my bios to a new beta bios which Gigabyte sent me but I'm having a time getting Qflash to see my flash drive. My motherboard is GA-P35-DS3L, Windows XP. Hopefully this new file will correct the DPC issue.

So when I press 'end' while booting up and get to the Qflash utility, I'm given a choice to "Update Bios from Drive". It lists two 'floppy drives', one of which I believe is my flash drive. But when I click on it to access the beta bios file, I get nothing. There are '0' files listed on the drive -- even though the flash drive is connected to the computer and the beta bios had been unzipped there. It further says that the drive has equal amounts of total size/free size. So it's seeing nothing on the drive. Flash Drive is formatted with Fat32.

Anyone know what's going on or why I can't access the flash drive?

Thanks,
    Mahlon

Re: Contents of Flash drive not showing up when trying to update with Qflash -- Quest

Check and see if legacy USB storage Detect is enabled in Integrated Peripherals BIOS page. Then reformat the flash drive, and again copy only the BIOS file there not inside any folders on the drive, just the file in the root of the USB.

Also, plug the USB device in BEFORE you boot up the computer, or before you shut down and reboot. This is a MUST!!

And yes it will be shown as a floppy or a Hard drive, look thru them all until you see the BIOS file

Comment

Re: Contents of Flash drive not showing up when trying to update with Qflash -- Quest

This does not work for me either....But I have done some detective work and discovered that while my bios wont see the files on my drive it will see the fat32 drive. And I can save a bios file to the drive....BUT then this file is NOT seen in windows, but the space it uses IS gone....but if I do a scan disk it finds the file and asks me for a name for it....But then after windows fixes it the bios cant see the file anymore....
      Take care,
      Rick
      GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Hemi, that sounds like a bad USB stick to me

Comment

This A-Data stick has worked flawlessly in a windows environment, the only flakiness is with the BIOS. I have another Corsair stick I can try too. I use the Corsair stick as a ready boost drive and Vista only uses it after a reboot about 50% of the time....the other 50% if I unplug and replug it, that makes it start ready boosting.
          Last edited by HemiRick; 05-08-2008, 01:24 AM.
          Take care,
          Rick
          GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Sounds like it isnt up to snuff. Have you tried some others? They are only $5

Comment

Thanks lsdmeasap, I'll look in the bios and make sure usb storage detect is enabled. Meanwhile, I was able to solve my problem by partitioning a wee bit of space on one of my hard drives for fat32 and copying the bios file there. I'd still like to fix the usb issue though.

Thanks again,
              Mahlon

Comment

Sorry to not have suggested that, but normally a USB Format will fix it right up. And of course knowing it needs to be plugged in the whole time and not after you are already in Qflash.

If you need some more help with anything feel free to post back!

Comment

I've updated bios using FAT16 and it worked pretty well, it wouldnt work for me on FAT32 so i guessed!

Comment

Hmm, so it was just that USB didnt properly format to fat32 for a BIOS file, but Fat16 worked. Is that what you mean? If so, cool! At least you found a way! It is best to do BIOS updates with USB or floppy!

Comment

Reformatted the Adata Drive to fat16 and Qflash sees it fine.....IMHO Qflash does NOT work w FAT32
                      Take care,
                      Rick

Comment

I had the same problem with my Lexar flash drive. It was formated to fat32 and I checked that in XP and Vista.

It worked fine in both versions of windows but Q-flash would not recognize the drive.

Per lsdmeasap's suggestion I reformated the drive in fat32 with vista and Q-flash immediately recognized the drive as a floppy drive.

Vista still sees this flash drive as a hard drive and now it works with Q-flash.

I don't know how the flash drive manufactures are formating these drives but many don't work with Q-flash as they come from the factory.

Comment

Hey cool i got something right for once lol! I just have a 128MB flash drive for bios flashing! cost 5 euro!

Comment

Yeah, I use Fat32. So It sounds like I may actually just depend on the USB stick as to what actually will be visible in Qflash. So if anyone is reading this and they are having issues try with both, FAT32 and FAT16.

It is Sounding like it is stick dependent as to which works for who, I havent tested Fat16, but I will today on 3 sticks SanDisk, PNY, and another I cant think of. I will post my results

Comment

Working...
                            X