EX38-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

I've been running an e8400 @ 3.6 for over a month now. Today I noticed my machine was off, so I hit the power button to bring it up. It booted just fine, showing the CPU @ 3.6 and during the BIOS memory check, it rebooted and restored the stock speed. I have been playing around with it trying different settings to get it to OC and I can't seem to do it now. I've been through the tweak guide on this site, but doesn't seem to help. Here is my info:

Motherboard: GA-EX38-DQ6
    CPU: Intel E8400
    RAM: Patriot 2x2GB PC6400 (4-4-4-12) @ 2.2V
    Video: eVGA 8800GTS 512MB PCIe
    Bios: Revision - F2

MIT
    CPU Clock Ratio 9 X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio +0.0
    CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
    CPU Host Frequency 400
    PCI Express Frequency Auto
    C.I.A.2 Disabled
    Performance Enhance Standard
    System Memory Multiplier 2.00D
    DRAM Time Selectable Manual
    CAS Latency Time 5
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
    DRAM RAS# Precharge 5
    Precharge delay(tRAS) 15
    Advanced Timing Controls All set to Auto
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control 800mv
    CPU Clock Skew Control Normal
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control Normal
    System Voltage Control Manual
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control +0.40V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control +0.10V
    FSB OverVoltage Control +0.10V
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control +0.100
    Loadline Calibration Enable
    CPU Voltage Control 1.35000V

My goal was to get my CPU up to 4.0, but after running into issues, I just settled with 3.6. I really don't want to have to settle with 3.

Re: EX38-DQ6 Won't OC Anymore

First off I would suggest for sure you fix this >>>

That should be set to 100, especially if you are overclocking which you are.

Auto is not good, actually on any of it! Auto is for those who dont know or those who are just installing their systems. You have high end equipment and cannot expect it to run smoothly on default auto settings, while trying to overclock. Auto is generally to much or not enough

I would also suggest for 2x2gb in advanced timings at least set Refresh to act delay to 52-62 starting with 62

Everything else looks good, If you still have no luck with the above suggestions, I would put the latest NON beta BIOS or F2 as you are using on a USB and reflash it, then Load optimized defaults, apply and save, reboot and then go in and make all your changes again. Easiest way to do that if you dont know is not to take out the battery, Just unplug your PSU from the wall and put a Jumper on the clear CMOS pins and let your pc sit there for about 5 minutes, then remove the jumper and plug it back in and do your flash, load optimized, save and apply, reboot, make changes

Comment

Cool, I set the PCIe frequency to 100 and I also disabled legacy USB drive support per another post I read. Also set the Refresh to ACT Delay to 62. I'm able to boot @ 3.6 again.

Next question, what do I need to do to get my system running @ 4.0? I would imagine I will need to up some voltages but I'm not sure which ones and by how much. Also, do I need to change any of my RAM settings?

Comment

Well for that you would just have to work your way there. And yes for the ram I would use 5-5-5-18 because you are going to be overclocking it by 100Mhz at 4.0. Then after you get stable you could see if you can bring it down some

As for CPU voltages, I am no sure! I wont have my E3110 (E8400) for a few more days, so I cant give a good estimate. I would suggest that you slowly up your FSB until it fails then bump you cpu voltage and try again until you get closer

Comment

Well, I'm running pretty stable @ 3.8 now. I haven't ran Prime95 yet, but I do have a distributed computer app running which is pushing my CPU to 100%. I'm still running the 1.35V with memory @ 846 with 4-4-4-12 timings. My CPU temp is around 71C, but I think its more environmental than anything else. My ambient temp is 26C and (don't shoot me for this) the temp in the compartment where my PC is is around 31C.

To hit 4.0, I've tried upping the voltage to 1.375 and changing the memory timings to 5-5-5-15, but the best I can get is an almost boot into windows followed by a random blue screen. Not sure if the temps are getting to high or something else.

Comment

Yeah, that is likely it 71 is pretty hot. Sounds like you need a better cooler to go to 4ghz!

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

FYI for anyone reading this post. I'm running the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 HSF using the provided thermal paste. Right now under full load, my temps are bouncing between 66C-68C. Room temp is around 25C. Temp near the back of my case is 35C. My computer is located in a cubby build into the computer desk. I would imagine if I relocated my PC to the basement and pulled my case outside of the desk, the temps would drop pretty significantly.

Comment

Yeah, they should. Add a 40MM fan on your NB if you want, that will help alot

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  As for CPU voltages, I am no sure! I wont have my E3110 (E8400) for a few more days, so I cant give a good estimate. I would suggest that you slowly up your FSB until it fails then bump you cpu voltage and try again until you get closer
                  Some overclockers are treating the new 45nm chips like the 65nm chips when it comes to voltage and are having problems.

The Intel spec for the 45nm chip is a maximum of 1.3625v.

Take a look at the latest data sheet table 4 in section 2.6.2.

I understand that the maximum voltage recommended on the box is 1.225v. I don't know for sure as I bought an OEM chip.

Comment

Yeah I know, I have seen some Kill chips with high VTT Termination Voltage as well >>>

Beware of VTT - it's a lurking time bomb... (High VTT sends our best QX9650 to an early grave...)
                    AnandTech

Not sure if that choice is in DQ6 bios, I know it is not in DS4 but it doesnt look like it if the above is all of your voltage settings.

You can see your actual VID (Which is different for each chip no matter if they are the same model or not), which is the specified voltage your chip has been tested to need to run at stock speed by looking in CoreTemp >>>

Core Temp

Good info you posted as well, hopefully some read this and head the warnings!!! I already knew because the Hafnium-based high-k gate just wont stand too much as it is made to use less voltages to provide better temps at lower voltages. Of course you can safely go over the max specified by Intel, but not as much as you could with the 65Nm CPU's which were made using a different material

45nm Technology Info >>>

Intel's Transistor Technology Breakthrough Represents Biggest Change to Computer Chips In 40 Years

Older 65nm Technology Info >>>
                    65-Nanometer Technology

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      You can see your actual VID (Which is different for each chip no matter if they are the same model or not), which is the specified voltage your chip has been tested to need to run at stock speed by looking in CoreTemp >>>

Core Temp
                      That is exactly what is said in the datasheet.

Thanks for the Core Temp info as vcore is a complicated subject that maybe we can explore in the overclock thread or whereever you think is more appropriate.

Have you seen Real Temp yet???

On the first link just the first post is really important for the down load link but the whole thread is there. The next two links are short and important background.

Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums

XtremeSystems Forums?

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - **Official e8400/e8500 Retail OC Thread

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - **Official e8400/e8500 Retail OC Thread

This program gives my vid as 1.15v, which is exactly the stock bios voltage. I have since changed it manually to 1.10 as per my limited understanding of the Intel Datasheet.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread, just wanted to give some info I have found while trying to learn about my new E8400.

As I said maybe it would be more appropriate to discuss this in the OC sticky thread. ???

Comment

Originally posted by nataSofCols View Post
                        I've been running an e8400 @ 3.6 for over a month now. Today I noticed my machine was off, so I hit the power button to bring it up. It booted just fine, showing the CPU @ 3.6 and during the BIOS memory check, it rebooted and restored the stock speed. I have been playing around with it trying different settings to get it to OC and I can't seem to do it now. I've been through the tweak guide on this site, but doesn't seem to help. Here is my info:

Motherboard: GA-EX38-DQ6
                        CPU: Intel E8400
                        RAM: Patriot 2x2GB PC6400 (4-4-4-12) @ 2.2V
                        Video: eVGA 8800GTS 512MB PCIe
                        Bios: Revision - F2

MIT
                        CPU Clock Ratio 9 X
                        Fine CPU Clock Ratio +0.0
                        CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
                        CPU Host Frequency 400
                        C.I.A.2 Disabled
                        Performance Enhance Standard
                        System Memory Multiplier 2.00D
                        DRAM Time Selectable Manual
                        CAS Latency Time 5
                        DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5
                        DRAM RAS# Precharge 5
                        Precharge delay(tRAS) 15
                        Advanced Timing Controls All set to Auto
                        CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control 800mv
                        CPU Clock Skew Control Normal
                        (G)MCH Clock Skew Control Normal
                        System Voltage Control Manual
                        DDR2 OverVoltage Control +0.40V
                        PCI-E OverVoltage Control +0.10V
                        FSB OverVoltage Control +0.10V
                        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control +0.100
                        Loadline Calibration Enable
                        CPU Voltage Control 1.35000V

My goal was to get my CPU up to 4.0, but after running into issues, I just settled with 3.6. I really don't want to have to settle with 3.
                        This also happened to me with my P35- DS4 .. Pushed my E6850 to 4ghz locked up on orthos , when it rebooted , locked at 3ghz even when i loaded presets for OC .. ie : 3.6 or 3.8 ghz would aways boot 3.0 ghz
                        To rectify either reflash bios or clear cmos ( short jumper pins ) easier way to do it ..
                        Hope this helps :)

Comment

@ Merman

My image is for a 65nm XEON and has nothing to do with 45nm ones, and that just happens to be MY VID.

Yeah, I have seen and use RealTemp, But My temps are fine so I dont even look at them, every once in a while I will watch them in Everest, but since I own a license I can see all options in everest, so I use it for everything

As for you VID of 1.15, all that means is your CPU has been overclock tested by intel to be guaranteed to run at stock speed with 1.15 Voltage. it is in now way a limit, and is in now way stating that you absolutely have to use that to run stock. They often raise it a bit to ensure stability.

Ill have my Xeon E3110 Monday so By Monday night I will be able to tell you my VID and then what I need per my chip to run 4Ghz or so

Comment

Working...
                          X