ga-ep35-ds3r & crucial memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-ep35-ds3r & crucial memory

I just assembled a new system and have a few motherboard/bios questions. this is my first time assembling a computer.

first of all, it appears to be up and running fine. the motherboard is the GA-EP35-DS3R rev2.1 bios F2

1. the memory I installed is the 2X1GB kit of PC2 6400 Crucial Ballistix with 4-4-4-12 timing (BL2KIT12864AA804). this is listed on both Gigabyte's and Crucial's website as being compatible. the memory shows up on the bios screen and cpuz as 5-5-5-18. please tell me how I can modify the bios to get the 4-4-4-12 timings. I don't want to overclock, just get to the advertised potential of the RAM. I did run memtest86+ and it sucessfully completed a run without errors.

2. during installation I bumped the north bridge heatsink and it shifted slightly (maybe 1/16"). I pressed on it to make sure it was not floating or out-of-whack. Is that okay or normal? Should I monitor the north bridge temperature somehow to make sure its within specs? what temperature is acceptable?

3. during a regular boot-up the bios information flashes on the screen (like normal), then that screen clears, then a page of IRQ assignments shows up and then goes away, then windows loads. my question is: is it normal for that page of IRQ assignments to show up? I'm just not used to seeing a screen like that.

4. I see there are two newer beta bios's available on the Gigabyte website, but it only mentions that they address issues relating to processors I don't have. is there any reason for me to flash to that bios? I'm fine with flashing the bios, but only if there is some benifit to it.

thank you!

system specs:
    psu: Antec Earthwatts 500W
    mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R rev2.1
    CPU: Intel E8400 (stock freq)
    RAM: 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
    video: EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB (stock freq)
    HD: (2)-WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA
    optical:Samsung SH-S203B

Re: ga-ep35-ds3r & crucial memory

1. You go in BIOS and on the MAIN page hit Control + F1 then go into MIT section and set your ram timings to 444-12. You will have to put this on manual >>> DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Then put these as follows >>>

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

2. Well I always suggest to redo the thermal paste with NON conductive paste such as Arctic Ceramic or TX-2 or MX-2. And since you moved your now is the time! They often have too much or not enough paste or coverage anyway and since you moved yours around it is best to redo it now because whatever good coverage it had is now messed up and likely air bubbles may have gotten in from moving it. In everest, or Easytune you will see a Motherboard MB temp, that is the Northbridge temps What is normal varies on your overclock. Anywhere from 32-42ish is a good normal

3. Yeap I hate that too! Wish there was a setting for it to not show

4. Nope if you have no need then there is NO reason to use a Beta BIOS.

Comment

Lsdmeasap: thank you so much for that quick reply. that is very helpful information. two things:
      1. I'll change to 4-4-4-12 as you indicated. do you anticipate that I'll need to adjust any voltages or is that not necessary in this case?
      2. the second reply you made I think was meant for some other post.

Comment

Well for Crucial the spec voltage is 2.1V = +0.3V but they do die quickly because the heatspreader is so thin. I would suggest adding a fan on them or seeing if they will work fine at 2.0V = +0.2V which normally they can just fine especially if you are not overclocking them

I would also add +0.1V to MCH as well just for stability

2. Yes is was! Ill move it thanks for noticing!

Comment

Working...
        X