Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair pulling problem with my EX38-DQ6

Hi everyone,

I've gone through the X38-DQ6 tweaking guide, and after rebooting to windows, it tells me "Windows could not load. Cannot find ntoskrnl.exe. I've experienced many problems in my time but never this. BTW I am not here to blame anyone for anything.

I think the guide is great, and I've been having problems before I used the guide. I Just really want to know if anyone here has experienced one of these problems before. I can only ever boot into Windows after I load optimised or fail safe settings in bios. Any overclocking, no matter how small, brings up various "windows could not load" messages. Even when I am in Windows (XP 64), if I run Prime 95, it crashes the system everytime after about 30 seconds. Has anyone here experienced these issues at all? I am going freaking crazy.

Chris

Re: Hair pulling problem with my EX38-DQ6

Sounds as if you need a windows repair. You likely did not set PCI express freq to lock at 100Mhz and your disk corrupted the file

Do you mean NOW it is still fine if you do not overclock? What are your settings? You can post images if you want, or copy and paste back this templete of settings for me (You will have to add some because it is DS4 settings, and I know DQ6 has more options)

Also please tell me your specs!

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Thanks for your quick response. I went through the guide step by step. I locked the pci to 102 (why 102?). My computer specs are:

Q6600 GO @ 2.4GHz
      4 x 2 GB Corsair PC 6400 C5 Ram
      GA-EX38-DQ6
      ATI Radeon 3870 HD
      2 x 750GB SATA HDD
      Corsair HX 620 PSU

When I first overclocked my CPU (about 2 weeks ago), The PCI frequency was set to auto. Since reading many overclocking guides, I locked it @ 100Hz. The computer still boots into windows (after loading optimised defaults), however, as soon as I run Prime95 (blend test), the system freezes after about 30 seconds. Here are my settings. Please note that I am not at my computer at the moment so these settings are posted from memory:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00A]
      DRAM Frequency (Mhz)____________[533]
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
      Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42
      Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
      Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.1V]
      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.375]

Comment

100 or 102 is fine. NO reason, just a small bump, some use 105 or more. But best is 100, with 102 being still in the pretty safe area. Also for 8GB you may want to add a bit more MCH voltage still

You should get all those off auto. But for now I suggest you put Refresh to act delay on 52-62, starting at 62. And SURELY your ram needs more then 1.9Volts to run at 1066, for a few reasons..... It specified 800Mhz voltage is likely higher then that, and it is 8GB of ram, and you are overclocking it.

With 8Gb of ram you will likely not get a huge overclock like that, especially with that ram. Either way with 8GB of ram I would for sure see if the NB is hot and add a fan on it, and redo the thermal paste with non conductive if you feel up to it.

Comment

When I return home, I'll set the Refresh to Act delay to what you suggested. I'm really hoping it will work. I read my post and realised I didn't tell you my bios version. I've tried F1-F3a, and i still have the same issues. My Ram is 800MHz and is tested at 1.89V. I visited the Corsair website and looked up what voltage I should be running and it says 1.9V. However, if you think I should push it a little higher (another 0.05-1V?) I'll try that as well.

Chris

Comment

Well the site is likely correct but some sticks of the same model are different, best to see what it actually says on your ram stickers on the heatsink. If it is 1.9 then use that or 2.0

You may just need the refresh to act changed, and some more MCH. Have you asked about 8GB full subtimings over at the Corsair site? If not, I would as I am only making suggestions as I have never used 8GB so I am likely not fully correct with those suggestions

Here is the site

As for BIOS, I would not use a Beta, unless you have a specific need that the beta addresses. And even then I would wait for final if the previous version is working ok still. Bios is likely not the issue here but more in ram timings and voltage values

Comment

I've asked about my sub timings for my ram. I haven't had a response yet. I found this link which seems a fairly comprehensive list for ram timings:

http://ramlist.ath.cx

In the meantime, I tried different Refresh to act delay settings between 52-62 with no luck. Only when I load optimised defaults, can I log into windows.

I gradually lowered my Vcore, DDR, MCH, and PCI voltages one at a time, but it seems any overvoltage on these, no matter how small, produce these really weird "windows cannot load" missing file error messages. I have also performed a repair installation, just in case all these crashes corrupted any files.

For all these tests, my RAM was set at 2.00A, making it 533, as the CPU FSB is 266. I have loaded optimised defaults, which now sets my ram to 800Mhz, my Vcore at 3.125, and virtually all other voltage settings as normal. I have also run memtest 1.86 on all ram modules individually, and that also freezes on every module.

So freak me, I am at a loss. Either I've stuffed the mobo, as early on in the piece, I updated my bios using a windows utility - only to find out later, this is a NONO. Too late now..;) Or perhaps I have a defective ram slot. The only thing I haven't done is take out all my ram, and boot up with just one module in slot 2,3, or 4, then run Prime 95 on blend and see if the OS crashes.

Slot 1 was the slot I used for memtest. Could be defective. I'm not sure yet. I guess the positive out of all this, is that I've experienced a damn good crash course in bios and overclocking. This course started out free, but could end up costing me...;). Do you have any suggestions on anything else I could try?

Chris

Comment

That site is RAM IC's Info mainly, telling you chips previously used. And is often outdated. You need full Subtimings for 8GB specifically

Do you have Legacy USB storage Detect enabled? If so disable it and retry everything. Same goes for USB mouse (Even if you use one) disable it. I have mine disable and am using a USB wireless Microsoft mouse. Someone here just reminded me that this mouse setting sometimes causes some strange errors

As for other suggestions....... Yeah if you do not use 8GB of ram sell off 4GB, this is alot of your issue

I also suggest you use Memtes86+ version 2.01 >>>
                Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Once you get running, you want to do a full test, or I just use 20-30 minutes or test #2 then a hour of test #5 for basic testing

Hey, this makes no sense??? >>>
                For all these tests, my RAM was set at 2.00A, making it 533, as the CPU FSB is 266. I have loaded optimised defaults, which now sets my ram to 800Mhz, my Vcore at 3.125
                2.00A or any 2.00 at 266 would be 533 as you said, not 800Mhz ram. And what do you have at 3.125V WOW?
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Oops sorry. 3.125 was a typo. I meant to say 1.325V. I've had the USB legacy and USB Mouse disabled for some time now. The reason I have 8 gig is that I do alot of animation and graphics, and as I'm running a quad cpu, I wanted to make sure I had enough ram to utilise all 4 cores. Who knows - taking out one module may solve all my issues.

If so, I may have to look at a different mobo, as I really need to run 8GB on this machine, with complete stability. I know my mobo is compatible with my ram, but as we all know, that doesn't guarantee smooth sailing.

In answer to your query about my RAM speed, all my tests were conducted at 533Mhz. The 800Mhz speed is what the ram runs at, when I load optimised defaults. Anyways, my next tests will commence 2morrow night. Thankyou for your responses.

Chris

Comment

Ahh thoughts so about that voltage

You still confuse me, I hope you know what ya mean! 533 and 800 I mean, you cant be running at both is why I am lost.

Ok, see you tomorrow night then I am getting out of here as well

Comment

I've taken out 2 of my ram modules, leaving me with 4GB, and the system at this moment, is running stable - for the first time in I don't how long, Prime95 hasn't shutdown my system (yet - fingers crossed). Although it has only been running for about 25 min, which is not long. Beats my record of 30 seconds so relative to that, it's a vast improvement. Current RAM is set at 667.

I haven't OC'd the CPU. I won't until I'm sure it's stable at stock. I've come to the conclusion that this mobo really is not up to supporting 8GB of ram in a stable condition, so I may have to leave the 2 Modules out. That really sucks but at this stage, I don't have any other options.

A server motherboard, though more expensive might have been a better choice. I shall see how things go. I might wait 4 months and buy 2 4GB modules from OCZ or GSkill. Price will hopefully be more affordable then..
                      Thanks for your responses anyway dude!

Catchya

Comment

Glad to see you are getting somewhere. I do see people getting 8gb to work, it is just hard as you see. Not like 2X1gb that is for sure.

I would say once you get the 4gb stable and back up to 800mhz and then stable you cant add back in the other sticks one ata time

Just have to have time on your hands to play with voltages and such, alot of time. Putting together a high end system is easy, but getting it running smoothly usually isnt as easy. But you know that, I am sure you know you would have no issues with 2 or 4gb.....well maybe some smaller headaches with 4 but you know what I mean.

Well man, glad you are getting somewhere. So did you not ask, or are you not getting a direct answer for 8GB subtimings over at Corsair's site? Just wondering

Well I will be back later tonight, good luck with your further testing and getting things going better!

Keep in mind.....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

*EDIT*

I HATE SPAMBOTS

And...They make 4gb single sticks? News to me, sounds great
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I tried the blend test using Prime95 (with just 4GB in), and once again, complete freeze up, so no luck there I'm afraid. In case this sounds confusing, the stability I briefly experienced was using the standard stress test. Unfortunately blend always brings my system to a halt. I'll have to check my voltages - in my "I'm over it" state I may have set them on auto.

This time, I decided to ignore Prime95 and loaded up a really heavy after effects project, and set up multiple big renders (animation geek speak, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about...;) ), just to make sure that Prime95 itself is not the problem. Sure enough, after 5-10 min, complete freeze.

All this was with my ram modules in slot 1 & 3 (correct config according to my mobo). This morning I have put those same modules in slots 2 & 4 instead. I will find out later today from my wife ( God bless her ) if my machine is still rendering those files.

Concerning the 4 GB modules, GSkill and OCZ Technology recently released some 4GB sticks. I may buy some later when the price drops. I have a feeling, that either I have a bad module, or a defective ram slot. Time will tell. The Corsair support forum has a list of subtimings for all their memory, however, nothing definitive on what they should be if you have 8GB installed.

Comment

Run memtest86+ V. 2.01 so we can see if this is a memory issue or a cpu issue, you could need more cpu volts. Please run a full test, then by using "C" you can choose test #'s, after full test run a hour or so of test #2 then a hours or so of test #5 and let me know how that goes >>>
                            Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

That wont be a FOR sure thing to show memory, but better then blend telling us nothing. Ya know you should also run a small FFt test on prime95 and see how long that goes, that will test the CPU only hard and tell you if it is the CPU only as well

You are only running the ONE instance of prime95 right? I see several people still trying to run double or quad of it, and there is no need anymore since it does it with one windows open

How much Pagefile do you have, and what do you have prime set to test for the amount of ram? It does often freeze if you set it to test too much ram and you dont have enough pagefile and ram. Sometimes be default it is set too high, try lowering it a bit. It should by default be set on 8MB. I leave it there actually, as you do not need to change it, that is for users who do run it all day everyday in search of the actual use of the program, to find the merssene prime #

Here is the latest version 25.6 Build #6
                            |MG| Prime95 25.6

Make sure the "Start at bootup" option is not selected for Vista OS!!!

Hey, why again do you not use Orthos? It is the same, and causes less x64 related errors from what I have seen, maybe you should try that as well instead >>>
                            Orthos_20060420.zip

Well, you SHOULD ask in the forum, they will give you a answer I am sure. You spent $$ on 8GB of their ram, they betta!

Comment

I ran memtest about a week ago on all modules seperately, and every test resulted in the whole system freezing up so I think there is a problem with the mobo. I was hoping i would be the ram - much easier to replace. There is one way to really find out and that is stick the modules in my friends machine.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Prime95, so I only have to run one instance of it. I haven't played around with the settings at all, so I'm assuming it is using the default settings. I haven't tried Orthos yet. I think I might give that a go. At least then, if I experience the same crashes, I'll know that it's not application related.

I did ask in the forums again about subtimings for 8GB, but no answer. I may ask again...

Comment

Working...
                              X