System turns off and on every 5 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System turns off and on every 5 seconds

I'm using the system for nearly a year now and had no problems at all. This morning when I wanted to turn on my computer it turned off after 5 seconds and turned then on again after another 5 seconds. This goes on that way endlessly (ok I've not waited more than a minute, but I'm pretty sure it would).
    To debug this issue I tried another power source but this had no impact at all. I also removed all cards, ram, and disks. The cooling (a water cooling) is operating normally and the system did run on factory defaults for that year.

The last thing I tried was to reset the CMOS by inserting the jumper for about a minute - no effect.

So I'd guess that the problem should be located on my 965P-DS4 motherboard. Does anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

Re: System turns off and on every 5 seconds

Let it go for a bit, sometimes it will start properly after a few more then 3 reboots. What ram is it you are using?

Watercooling, and factory settings? You sure? HAHA

If it is Crucial Ram, I suggest you try a different stick, but this is commonly known as the cold boot cycle, and you may need to RMA.

Do you have a case speaker? If not try to find one to see if you get any error beeps

Comment

I'm trying to solve the same problem. Had it a couple of months ago (cold boot only). Found if I left it alone for a while, it would eventually boot. Turned if off when I went on a trip two weeks ago, and now it just keeps recycling. I let it go for a couple hours, too. Cleared CMOS, pulled battery, disconnected all but the boot drive - still only recycling. PS fan and Heatsink fan both come on, but than nothing. I've got a new PS to try, but I'm also going to recheck the PS case switch wiring. I saw one thread that indicated that they found a loose connection in their Antec case (like mine).

Comment

Have you tried to remove all usb devices and disable usb legacy support in bios?

Comment

On my P35-DSP3, I've removed all but the boot HD and graphics card. Since it keeps recycling w/o posting, I can't get to the BIOS.

Comment

Sounds like you need a RMA. Have you tried one ram stick in slot one? And have you tried other ram?

In the end, sounds like you have a bad boot block and will have to RMA the board

Comment

I have a 965P-DS4 with this problem before. Turn off the Main Power and BIOS reset.

Comment

I built two similar systems at the about the same time (Aug-Sept-'07) [I found out the other day that the second system randomly reboots during "Oblivion"] I had the recycle problem with the first board for this system and RMA'd the board. The replacement worked fine until it started recycling on cold boot in Nov, but it would always boot after a while. Warm boots have always been fine. This is the first time since the RMA that the system flat out refused to boot. I've tried 2 PS's and various RAM/RAM configurations. After the Nov cold boot problem, I essentially left the system in the BIOS "optimized" config. I have a new PS to try this weekend and I may even move the whole thing to an older case I have. I have reads dozens of threads talking about the recycling problem, but have seen none that actually solved the problem, other than by the system suddenly deciding to boot.

Comment

Ya, it either will or wont. And 99% of the time if you see it say "Searching for Bios, or bad flash" then you HAVE to RMA.

If it is just cycling but you are not seeing those normally a CMOS clear or a cold boot after a time of setting will get it back up and running

Mine will hit the reboot cycle ANYTIME I try to run Trd/ Static tRead Value(Performance Level) of 6

Comment

Yeah, tried the CMOS clear and battery out w/ sitting over night; still just goes to recycling w/ no beeps. Strange part is that it worked fine with warm boots/restarts. Only on cold boot. Of course, if it won't cold boot, you can't do a warm boot.

Comment

Just an update since "recycling" seems to be a major theme in a lot of threads. Finally tried a (another)new power supply, still "recycling" [Actually nine seconds with PS and CPU fan on, and 7 secs off] Guess I'll RMA the board for a second time and see if it (on the third go-round) will run for longer than a few months.

Comment

It is all about settings!!!!

If you would like some help let me know

Comment

Lsdmeasap - If your talking about BIOS settings, great. But, I would have to be able to get to the BIOS. No Post, No BIOS access, No beeps, just On -off, On -off, forever. If there are some physical MB settings (like the old, old boards had), I am unaware of them. That might help if you know of any or how to get to the BIOS. The BIOS settings had been set to Optimal because I previously had this problem and had not played with them.

Comment

Ahh, I thought you had some issues you could deal with...Sorry. That does sound like RMA is now your only option.

Next time Auto is not the way to go after your second reboot. Nor is a windows based flash. It is "OK" to use Auto to get things going, or if you use minimal cheap hardware, but not if you use normal to high end components and have access to somewhere to get knowledge/help with settings.

I am sorry for your troubles and only wish I could have helped you before this happened

Comment

Working...
                            X