Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3 RAID 0, Please Assist!

Hey all,

Well I have set up two Raptor hard drives in SATA slots 0 and 1. I went into the integrated peripherals section of the BIOS and enabled the RAID/IDE mode and changed it to RAID/IDE. Anyway thats as far as the book seems to go into that and I boot the machine thinking I am going to be prompted with 'to enter RAID config press Ctrl + G' but that never comes up, it just loads through ready to boot into Windows.

This is my first time configuring a RAID array and if anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated. A step by step would be awesome.

Thank you in advance.

Re: EP35-DS3 RAID 0, Please Assist!

Can you please Show me your motherboard page? I do not see a GA-EP35-DS3 listed
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Products

DS3R I do see, Just wondering, Because it matters what part of the BIOS you set to what for RAID, depending on which color ports you used. Purple is Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller, and the yellow is the Intel Controller.

As for BIOS settings you would change the following for the Yellow ports:

On Integrated Peripherals Page
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode ....... RAID
    SATA Port0-3 ...... Disabled

For the Purple Ports

On Integrated Peripherals Page
    Disable both of the above settings

Onboard SATA/IDE Device ....... Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode ..... RAID/IDE

Then you save and reboot and use the Control G to enter the Raid Array control panel. YOu can just keep hitting those buttons as soon as you turn on the PC if you are not seeing the screen. You should see it after the Gigabyte Logo page

There is more further in the book about making your RAID driver disk, you will need this as well to use when installing windows

So let me know if this helps you, and which color ports you are using. If you still cannot get into the RAID control panel post back your BIOS page images if you can so I can see if you maybe set something else wrong there, but you shouldnt really as those are the only parts dealing with the disks

Comment

did you install g-sata software?

Comment

Comment

Intel ICH9R is software raid, and alot of those boards above do RAID with the intel Chipset, and a seperate Gigabyte/J.Micron chip, both of which is software based raid.

If your board has a R in the name, Norwoods is correct, it has the Intel JCH9R chipset with intel software based RAID. If your board has Purple SATA ports it also will have the Gigabyte/J.Micron Software Based Raid as well, not matter if it has the Intel ICH9R chip or not

To have true hardware based raid, you would have 0 Offset of CPU load to CPU for Disk Data operations. This requires a Separate RAID controller card with built in XOR processor and it's own onboard ram for Cache operations. Without that you will have always software raid, whether it is onboard or a controller card
          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-21-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X