Ga-ma790fx-ds5 help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-ma790fx-ds5 help!

I need some help with this board. I cannot get the board to clock my RAM at 1066. Here are some of my basic specs:

GA-MA790FX-DS5 ***BIOS REV F5***
    AMD Phenom 9550 2.2GHz
    Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D

The RAM is supposed to run at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v for 1066MHz. The computer gives me a long beep and then reverts to 800MHz and 5-5-5-18. This happens with both sticks of RAM installed and individually installed. I have been successful at 800MHz with no errors in Memtest or Microsoft's RAM stress test. I really want to run this RAM at 1066. I contacted Gigabyte and they said it was my RAM. Corsair gave me the following advice:
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Set Memory Clock: Manual Memory Clock: DDR 1066 (although the manual only states that it supports up to DDR 800)

DRAM Configuration DDRII Timing Items: Manual
    CAS# Latency: 5
    1T/2T Command Timing: 2T
    Row Cycle Time: 24
    RAS to CAS R/W Delay: 5T
    Row Precharge Time: 5T
    Minimum RAS Active Time: 15T

DDR2 Voltage Control: +0.3v

Chipset Voltage Control: You may want to try increasing this in small increments up to about 1.45-1.5v to see if you are being limited by the chipset, although this is technically overclocking your motherboard.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

I have taken these steps with no success. I'm open for suggestions and help!

Re: Ga-ma790fx-ds5 help!

Have you tried Row cycle time = 52 or higher? And have you tried the opposite pair of slots? Have you also tried 2.2 for ddr2 voltage, not sure if your ram warranty allows that, if it does it may be needed

If that does not work, I would say the ram is bad because the above you describe is how the ram should run but it seems it is not doing so.

Comment

Row cycle time only goes up to 42 and I get the same results with the different slots. BIOS says ram speed is 5-5-5-18 when it should be 5-5-5-15 and auto is set to 5-7-7-24. I may just send the RAM in and get it replaced. From what I have researched and read thus far, this CPU AMD 9550 is rather new and gigabyte may not have support for it yet(site says it became supported back in F3 revision). Is it possible their is a flaw with the new F5 bios as well as the AMD 790FX chipset? Just curious.

Comment

Could be, I dont use or ever have used AMD so you will have to wait for Janus to answer that

Yeah, sorry some boards only do 42, and usually 52-62 is needed to run higher speeds, but not always.

Auto fluctuates, if you want it to be 555-15 set it manually. What you see there on the left is not always going to be the Auto settings

Comment

I'd appreciate some assistance from Janus. This has been really frustrating.

Comment

im running
            GA-MA790FX-DS5 ***BIOS REV F7E***
            AMD Phenom 9500 2.2GHz
            Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4D

at 1066 5-5-5-18 2T 23 dual channel unganged and it works perfect. but want to try ganged but cant seem to find a way to get it there

Comment

Did you load Optimized defaults after you last flashed your BIOS, if not you MUST then set ram voltage only and save/apply/rebooot back to the BIOS to redo all changes, including your SATA/Disk settings again.

I am confused, but then again I don't know much about AMD.....How exactly are you saying that you have used unganged Dual channel but cannot set Ganged? The same setting should offer either setting and ganged should be used for Dual Channel >>>

Ganged = dual channel mode for ram

Phenom has two memory controllers on the CPU.

Ganged is setting both memory controllers to work together which allows data (that is being used by all cores) to await on the queue until they are accessed.

Unganged means that the two controllers work independently. This allows them to work asynchronously with reference to individual clocks with their one or two Dimms.
              You may need to simply place the ram in non matching slots is all

If you are just not finding a setting, it may just all be as said above, dependent on how you insert the ram. Or you may need to use the hotkey, on the MAIN page of the BIOS hit Control + F1 and the screen will flash, then go into the MIT Section of your BIOS and see if you find the setting

Comment

I have a GA-MA-790FX-DQ6 and the Ganged\Unganged option in the M.I.T. section of the bios is not accessable even with ctrl+F1 in the later F6D bios and defaults my ram to unganged. I had to revert to an earlier bios F5 to enable ganged mode. It is possible the option was removed from the newer DS5 bioses aswell considering they are very similar boards.

Comment

Working...
                X