A word of warning about f8b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A word of warning about f8b

I was putting together a new build of ga-p35-ds3l rev 2.0 with a q9300. It posted fine but the temps seemed way too high, so I downloaded f8b to add proper support for yorktown.

The bios updated and verified just fine, but I can no longer post. Clearing CMOS and removing ram didn't produce any beeps.

I could RMA but I have no confidence in this board anymore. Probably going to find another.

Re: A word of warning about f8b

Sounds like a bad flash, did you even get in the bios to make proper changes after the flash?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Sounds like a bad flash, did you even get in the bios to make proper changes after the flash?
      Nope, it said something like "flash success, press key to restart". After that it never posted again

Comment

Hmm, well that doesnt sound like success to me!

Have you tried with a different CPU?

Beta is Beta. And BIOS flashing is a "If it isnt broke dont fix it type of thing" Too late now I know, but I would have waited for the non beta.

Temps being high dont often have much to do with the BIOS, aside from to much voltage added in their by the user.

Sorry to hear all of that though, sounds as if RMA is your only option unless you can get a older CPU to boot the PC, but I dont know if that would work or not?
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-13-2008, 10:30 PM.

Comment

This is the same reason I updated my DS3L bios from F7 to beta F8a for the E8400 even though F7 did identify the processor correctly.

The fan speeds are about 500 rpm higher with the new bios yet the temps are the same. 31C in bios and 10C degrees higher in CoreTemp. 41 to 45C seems high to me and I don't want to stress the system until I research what is happening as the new or early Wolfdales supposedly didn't report temps correctly.

Comment

Yeah, I hear they do not and some have a stuck Sensor. Intel has no plan on fixing this as it is not a problem to them since without overclocking and having such a low voltage VID none will ever get too hot

Comment

Don't all these boards have dual bios, 2 physical BIOS chips. If a BIOS update fails, doesn't it then revert to the "good" backup BIOS. Isn't that the whole point of having dual BIOS, so you can recover from this type of situation.
              (1) Gigabyte 3DAurora chassis - Gigabyte Ex38-DS4 - Xeon 3110 - Zalman CNPS9500 LED - 2x1GB PC2 8500 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2.0v (BL12864AL106A) - ThermalTake Cyclo RAM cooler - 2xMSI Radeon HD4670 - Corsair HX 620W - WD 36GB Raptor - Seagate 250GB (ST3250310AS) - Asus DRW 2014LIT - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)
              (2) NZXT Apollo chassis - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - E8400 - Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion - 2x2GB PC2 8800 G.Skill 1.9v (F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI) - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT - Corsair HX 520W - Seagate 250GB (ST3250318AS) - LG DRW GH22NP20 - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)

Comment

From what this says yes >>>>>
                -- GIGABYTE --Geeks Column of the Week - BIOS Explained

From what I have read, and been told, and see On my board no, it is all virtual

Janus can you answer this directly?

Comment

Beta is Beta.
                  Tell that to GGTS who push people to install beta BIOS.

Comment

I am sure everytime a beta, or non beta bios is suggested it is followed with the normal bios warnings.

Comment

I am sure everytime a beta, or non beta bios is suggested it is followed with the normal bios warnings.
                      Don't be so sure.
                      I received this answer to a question I asked over at GGTS:
                      Can you please try with this latest Bios F3b and try again.
                      Here is the link of the Bios F3b:
                      GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35-DS3 (rev. 2.1)
                      No warning whatsoever.

In reply I asked this:
                      I am aware of this bios, but was reluctant to install it as it is a beta. Does it have all the functionalities of the previous versions? (BTW: do you know when the next bios will be released for the EP35-DS3 and will this next release also address the problem I and many others are having with the S3 sleep mode when using 45nm processors?)
                      I never received a reply!

Comment

Well as I said, it is there on that page you linked to.

Warning:
                        Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

What is a BETA?
                        BETA describes a new version that is reliable yet may not include all the features of the final product. During this phase we are previewing new features and gathering customer input to insure our product provides the best experience possible
                        I know not everyone knows how dangerous a BIOS flash is or can be, so I see your point for sure. But ya, usually you see that warning, and if janus posts a beta not listed on the main page for gigabyte bios's a warning is also stated.

Comment

Well as I said, it is there on that page you linked to.
                          Contradictory, is it not?
                          On the bios page they warn against beta bios flashing, but the GGTS people incite people to do so.

What's more, this bios is a beta release since the 5th of February.
                          Now, more than 2 months later still no final release.

Support you say?

Comment

From what this says yes >>>>>
                            -- GIGABYTE --Geeks Column of the Week - BIOS Explained

From what I have read, and been told, and see On my board no, it is all virtual

Janus can you answer this directly?
                            What do you mean "virtual". My EX38-DS4 has 2 physical BIOS chips. The documentation says that if primary fails then backup BIOS will automatically take over. Does it not work the way it is documented? I would really like this clarified by Gigabyte before I do any flashing on this board.

If it does work the way it's documented then no one ever needs to be concerned about installing a beta BIOS if they have physical dual BIOS.
                            (1) Gigabyte 3DAurora chassis - Gigabyte Ex38-DS4 - Xeon 3110 - Zalman CNPS9500 LED - 2x1GB PC2 8500 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2.0v (BL12864AL106A) - ThermalTake Cyclo RAM cooler - 2xMSI Radeon HD4670 - Corsair HX 620W - WD 36GB Raptor - Seagate 250GB (ST3250310AS) - Asus DRW 2014LIT - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)
                            (2) NZXT Apollo chassis - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - E8400 - Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion - 2x2GB PC2 8800 G.Skill 1.9v (F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI) - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT - Corsair HX 520W - Seagate 250GB (ST3250318AS) - LG DRW GH22NP20 - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)

Comment

I think he's saying virtual because if you go read that linked page the bios will show 2 chips in the bios backup screen, and my board (I'm supposing like his) only shows the single BIOS chip bios screens from that link. So from this he's concluding 1 physical chip. I think he's concluded wrong and that the link is wrong. As my manual clearly shows 2 physical chips and looking at the board there's 2 chips.
                              Take care,
                              Rick
                              GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Working...
                              X