USB Flash Drive not recognized in Q-Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Flash Drive not recognized in Q-Flash

I have a GA-P35-DS3L, F7 BIOS, and a Lexar Firefly Jump drive usb 2.

Using the flash drive with stock Bios settings the system would freeze and not boot with the flash drive in a usb port. The flash drive worked fine once in Windows Vista 32.

Disabling the usb 2 controller and legacy usb support in the BIOS allows the system to boot with no problems.

My problem is Q-Flash only recognizes a floppy drive and I don't have a floppy drive attached to the system.

Re: USB Flash Drive not recognized in Q-Flash

Is the drive formatted as Fat or Fat32 and not NTFS?
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Right, The drive must be formatted properly

Comment

It is definitely a FAT format. Per the manual Q-Flash can only read a FAT file system.

Q-Flash v2.05

FlashType/Size MXC25L8005 1M

That's what it reads in my Q-Flash. It just does not recognize the flash drive. Q-Flash does not recognize any drive if I change the defaut to no floppy drive in the BIOS.

I found a thread where others were having the same problem but with no resolution. They jusy attached a floppy drive. I would rather purchase another flash drive if the Lexar flash drive is just incomplatable.

GA-P35-DS3L <NOBR>USB Flash</NOBR> Drive Boot problem.

It is my understanding the flash drive doesn't have to be able to boot the system. From the manual Q-Flash is suppose to read a floppy and a flash or hard drive formated using FAT.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Well, If you do not want to buy another flash drive, you could make a Small FAT partition on your primary drive. Just a suggestion.

Maybe it is incompatible?

Ya, it does not need to be bootable. I use a cheapo one and it works fine. But I do have a floppy installed so maybe because I have that enabled it sees the USB? Did you try with floppy enabled even though you dont have one?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Well, If you do not want to buy another flash drive, you could make a Small FAT partition on your primary drive. Just a suggestion.

Maybe it is incompatible?

Ya, it does not need to be bootable. I use a cheapo one and it works fine. But I do have a floppy installed so maybe because I have that enabled it sees the USB? Did you try with floppy enabled even though you dont have one?
            Yes with floppy enabled, Q-flash reports no BIOS file found on the floppy drive even though there is no physical floppy drive. That lead me to believe there may be a problem with Q-flash, maybe my version??? Yet as others have posted their flash drives work maybe I need another brand???

Thought Gigabyte support would be aware of the problem and point me in the right direction.

No offense, but I don't like the idea of repartitioning a small portion of a hard drive to solve the problem. Would much prefer to get another flash drive or as a last resort a floppy.

Comment

Have you tried a different flash drive? And each slot of your USB's?

I use my front case slots connected to one of the USB headers on the board, and a cheap USB. I think the brand is Sandisk.

When Using qflash I do see several "Disks" shown, but found the USB one to not be called USB. I dont remember which it is, did you look into each "Disk" it showed you?

* EDIT *

If you want me to, I will take some images of mine, and which disk is my USB in Qflash for you. Let me know
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-13-2008, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Have you tried a different flash drive? And each slot of your USB's?

I use my front case slots connected to one of the USB headers on the board, and a cheap USB. I think the brand is Sandisk.

When Using qflash I do see several "Disks" shown, but found the USB one to not be called USB. I dont remember which it is, did you look into each "Disk" it showed you?

* EDIT *

If you want me to, I will take some images of mine, and which disk is my USB in Qflash for you. Let me know
                I have used the front and a few of the rear usb slots its makes no difference. Only the floppy drive is shown in my Q-flash no others.

Thanks for the offer of taking images but it won't help as only the non existant floppy is shown. If I don't hear from Janus I will buy another flash drive first.

BTW mabe I missed it but telling people how to make images and enter them in their posts would be very helpful. I sure would like to know how to do this.

Sandisk is a big time brand name.

Comment

Ohh, well I paid $4 for a 256Mb one so I thought it was elcheapo brand. Well, I guess maybe you could try and find a different USB stick and see if that helps

Have you formatted the USB stick and then added a new BIOS to it and tried it then? That could help, just a freshly formatted stick

To post a image, upload any image to a host, such as >>>>

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Or
                  ImageShack&#174; - Image Hosting

Then place the Direct Url of the image into img tags like shown below>>>

[img]URL of Image Here[/img]

TO actually "Make" a image you can use the print screen button and then open Mspaint and click edit at the top, then paste. Then save as jpeg or png and upload it. As for images of bios or qflash screens that would require a camera.

If I still didnt answer what you meant about posting a image let me know

Comment

Ohh, well I paid $4 for a 256Mb one so I thought it was elcheapo brand. Well, I guess maybe you could try and find a different USB stick and see if that helps
                    Yes, they are cheap, handy and not end of life technology.

Have you formatted the USB stick and then added a new BIOS to it and tried it then? That could help, just a freshly formatted stick
                    Good idea I will try it.

To post a image, upload any image to a host, such as >>>>

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Or

Then place the Direct Url of the image into img tags like shown below>>>

[img]URL of Image Here[/img]

TO actually "Make" a image you can use the print screen button and then open Mspaint and click edit at the top, then paste. Then save as jpeg or png and upload it. As for images of bios or qflash screens that would require a camera.

If I still didnt answer what you meant about posting a image let me know
                    Thank you, you answered exactly what I needed to know about posting images.

Comment

Ahh, cool. I hoped I answered you, otherwise I was going to be lost.

Yeah, please try a formatted one and see if it helps. If not I would suggest borrowing one to test if just your stick is indeed the issue.

You did install the Intel .inf chipset installer right? If not, install that. Here is the newest version >>>>
                      Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Comment

Hey, Also I just did some tests for you and found the following

You MUST plug in the USB stick Before you reboot or boot into Qflash. Plugging it in while in qflash does not show me my USB either.

Also, you may need to go in "Integrated Peripherals" and enable "Legacy USB Storage Detect" If you do that, Please disable when you are done, unless you already have it enabled as it causes some issues sometimes

Comment

Take your Bow LSDMEASAP.

My Lexar usb flash drive was already formated in FAT but reformating the drive, in my case Vista 32, solved all the problems.

All the default BIOS options for usb work allowing the system to boot without any problem. In Q-Flash the drive comes up as floppy drive B. Upon entering that drive the BIOS saw the file and updated to the beta bios F8a. It is confirmed in cpuz.

I definitely wanted to try this bios as this is the one Gigabyte states supports the E8000 chips. Yet F7 supports E3110.

GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

Thanks LSDMEASAP

Comment

Nice! Glad you got it working for you now.

Well, I would think if F7 supports 45nm Xeon, then it would 45nm Core 2. I do see The F8a-b is the 45nm support though, So I would think F7 would not support that xeon, but I could be wrong.

Just be sure to check back at least once or twice a week for the final Version of F8

Comment

Thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else. My USB drive showed up as "HDD 1-0". I clicked it and browsed and sure enough, it was the USB device. I already had legacy usb enabled.
                              E7400 @ 3.41GHz, GA-EP45-DS3L, Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400(2x1), Sigma case

Comment

Working...
                              X