I've just built my new pc
    EX38-DS4
    Q6600 @ 3.2ghz (1.35v) w Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    9800GTX video card
    8GB DDR2-800 Geil Value
    Corsair HX-620 PSU
    Vista X64 SP1

I have a few issues.

1. When powering on the pc, it turns itself on very quickly, then turns itself off, and then back on and boots normally.
    can be seen in this vid here - http://www.w0mb13.com/pubfiles/pcbootwtf.wmv

I have seen posts all over the internet where this same thing is happening to others on a whole range of different gigabyte motherboards, and they say it's fine, it's normal - but i just want to double check.

2. Sys_fan2 header does not work. I have a 120mm arctic cooling PWM fan plugged into the header and it does not spin. It will quickly spin when powering on the pc, and then it remains off. There is no option in the bios for the sys_fan2 header, only PWM settings for the CPU fan. The fan is not faulty.

3. E-sata does not work. When plugging anything into E-sata, the system does not see any changes. AHCI is enabled and drivers are updated. When plugging in my Vantec nexstar3 into the pc before boot, the AHCI boot tool will take about 2 minutes before continuing and it does not find the drive, after this the vista loading screen will continuously loop until the drive is removed.

Ports are
    sata1 = dvd drive
    sata2 = hard drive
    sata3 = esata
    sata4 = nothing
    sata5 = esata

apart from these issues, the system is perfectly stable and speedy in the OS.

Re: EX38-DS4 double posting, sysfan2 not working, no esata :S

I've issues 1 & 2 on my EP35-DS3P too....haven't tried the Esata
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

That is normal to do once (Or when trying incorrect overclock settings) if it always does this and you are not overclocking it likely means you need to Manually adjust your ram timings, and some or all of the voltages need to NOT be on auto.

You cannot expect high end components to run on auto can you? I mean, you paid for them, set them up proper. Point being auto is almost never correct. Sure it may work sometimes, but is generally not the best, and sometimes bad for things. Auto the way I see it on a 200+ board is for you(And especially first time builders) to have a decent chance at a first boot, to be able to get in the BIOS and set ALL things OFF of manual to where they should be (Default settings or not, auto should not be used IMHO)

Sysfan Janus will have to comment to you about, as I have not used that board. But I know my P35-DS4 does similar, but spins correctly shortly after bootup. And I do not use PWM fans either, so I cannot offer much advice there. I can say, you may not see those PWM options without Hitting Control + F1 on the MAIN bios page, then going into that section. I know you may or may not need to use those hotkeys anymore to see all MIT options, but it DOES leave other options still hidden if you do not use the hotkeys. And again, I am not sure if that is a hidden thing or not, Best to try Control +
      F1 on the main page then go in each section and see

Your esata problems may stem from having "Enable Legacy USB detect" enabled in the advanced bios pages. I dont not think that needs to be enabled to use Esata, but rather a USB external device (And doing that also causes issues) Is this what you are trying to use? A USB external device? If so, that is not Esata. If you know this then ignore me! HAHA

And yes, NO matter how you set things, AHCI enabled will take longer to boot because it must load the AHCI bios each time before boot. If you have a NCQ drive, a newer one you do not need to enable AHCI to use that feature it will be used anyway. But should you still want to use AHCI you must install the OS system with the AHCI driver, INSTALL with it, such as before the OS install not just anytime.

Hope this helps you in some way, if I lost you or I am wrong somewhere feel free to chime in and I will try to further help you

Comment

There are no options at all (hidden or not) for controlling sys_fan2. Lsdmeasap, the enclosure is ESATA, nothing to do with usb.

Changing all settings off auto and to manual settings does not change the double posting issue.
        Last edited by chanbay; 04-12-2008, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Well how are you hooking up this enclosure?

Double posting is caused by incorrect MIT settings, almost always

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Well how are you hooking up this enclosure?

Double posting is caused by incorrect MIT settings, almost always
            Hooking up the enclosure via an esata cable....how else?

I don't see how the booting can be caused by incorrect MIT settings when after doing it, none of the settings are changed.

This only happens after power is turned off at the wall btw.

Comment

Ahh, well I thought maybe you was using a External USB, sorry.

Double boot is caused by incorrect MIT settings, FOR SURE. And the reason you see none of the settings changed is because they are wrong so the BIOS default back to stable settings.

Post your MIT settings you are having issues with, and I will try to see if I can tell you the issue
              Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
              CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
              C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_________________ ?
              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay__________ ?
              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay________?
              Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ ?
              ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)___________ ?
              Rank Write to READ Delay__________ ?
              Write to Precharge Delay__________ ?
              Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
              Read to Precharge Delay___________ ?
              Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
              CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Here is a screenshot of my MIT settings.

I've tried setting all my ram timings manually as well as changing everything under the "system voltage not optimized" to +0.5v. It made no difference.

Haven't touched clock driving and skew control.

Someone with same issue, different mobo -
                GA-X38-DQ6 double post after disconnected from power.

(the ram is geil value ddr2, actually rated at 5-5-5-15, though it is only stable under stress at 5-5-5-18 - which is the auto assigned timing the mobo gives it. Setting this manually makes no difference to the double posting)
                Last edited by chanbay; 04-13-2008, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Ok, Well with 8GB of ram, I suggest first try to manually go back and set those 555 timings, then put act to refresh cycle on 62

Then I suggest some voltage adjustments >>>
                  FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                  (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.2V]

I would also start your cpu at a higher voltage and then work it down from there once you get it stable.

I am not sure about clock drive and skew control either so those I would leave on auto I suppose even though I am against anything being on auto.

I do know with 4Gb of ram you need more MCH voltage so I am SURE you need more with 8Gb. And the FSB I suggest +0.1V for stability, but I really do think 1.35 is too low for your quad at 3.2 I would start at maybe 1.4 or more even, all CPU's are different so you can just go by what you saw someone else run theirs at.

But the main thing to get you fully stable would be getting EVERYTHING Off of auto, it is not always the best and often times is either too much or not even close to enough of something. Always best to run a 300$ board at your own settings, they are made for that. Auto is for getting everything installed

Have you asked Geil Support for settings for running 8GB of that ram? If not I would go here and ask about it for sure >>>>
                  Code:
                  http://forum.geilusa.com/

Comment

^ i've tried what you've stated and it doesn't make a difference. I personally have no issue with it double posting unless of course it is detrimental to any hardware, otherwise i can just leave the mains power on between uses.

As for the e-sata problem, the pc did manage to detect the drive now, showing on screen that it detected the model, but no more than that, can't access the drive or see it in disk management - i am assuming the reason for this could be that the drive is set to sata300 and not sata150 which might cause incompatibility with the enclosure (can't change from sata300 to sata150 on this samsung drive without firmware change), though even so, this doesn't seem right as the sata interface on the enclosure would surely just be a passthrough.

Comment

Well, a double post is actually going to reset your settings, and never use them. Just so you know. That double post is the board reseting the BIOS to the MIT defaults of AUTO

Can you plug the drive in without the enclosure, like just on your desk with the supplied esata cables and see if that works?

Comment

the thing is, it does not reset my settings, my oc and vcore changes still remain and work fine.

Comment

Hmm well that is strange then!

Comment

After alot of looking around the net, it seems that the double posting/double booting is an issue lots of people are having with X38 chipset mobo's, not just Gigabyte mobo's.

It's also happening on some P35 chipset mobo's

ie - IP35 & IP35-E Double Boot Fixed! Thanks Otterlai - Universal abit USA Forums

"it's the memory strap being set.
                            Upgrade to BIOS14 & as stated you should only then see it on the first boot after power has been restored following being totally removed from the mobo."

I'm 99.9% certain this is not an MIT issue, hopefully Gigabyte will fix this eventually with a bios update.

Comment

Working...
                            X