CPU Heat Sinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Heat Sinks

I split this out from my other topic because others with different boards my not have read it.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone that is running one of the new generation boards (e.g. EX38-DS4) could give me a suggestion for a CPU heat sink that would clear both the north bridge heatsink and corsair dominator RAM heat sinks. As you can see in the photos, the fan is slightly pressing against the RAM in the first slot. I am not sure that this is a problem, but I would rather not live like this long term. Any thoughts? It looks like the Zalman's should clear, but was hoping there was someone with a similar setup. Thanks for your time!

Justin

Re: CPU Heat Sinks

I have an EX38-DQ6, with a Tuniq Tower -- a good amount of clearance to the RAM slots. It's tighter to, but still sufficiently clear of, the Northbridge heat sink.

Comment

That bottom ring of the fan that's touching does nothing snip it off!
      Take care,
      Rick
      GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Or you could also surely use a Zalman 9700, Or thermalright Ultra 120, and use a normal fan on it

Comment

HemiRick thats what I was thinking of doing. That would be the easiest and most economical solution! Thanks for the tip!

LSD that was what I was thinking my other option was. I am not keen on putting another heat sink on right now because I really hate cleaning that paste of the processor LOL :) SO I think for now, I am going to go with Ricks suggestion. Although sometime later I think those zalmans with the blue LED would look great with this board and in my case.

Justin

Comment

Here's an even easier one for you: the ram slots on those (and most) boards are equivalent. As long as you use the correct corresponding pairs (ie slots the same colour - the colour coding is a nice feature - thanks GB) there should be no problem. So just move your two sticks to the two red slots and then the fan won't be touching the ram. One day you might want to use all four, but worry about that when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian.t View Post
              Here's an even easier one for you: the ram slots on those (and most) boards are equivalent. As long as you use the correct corresponding pairs (ie slots the same colour - the colour coding is a nice feature - thanks GB) there should be no problem. So just move your two sticks to the two red slots and then the fan won't be touching the ram. One day you might want to use all four, but worry about that when it happens.
              Ah yes, that was the first thing I tried. But, as I described in my first thread, those slots don't like my RAM. :)

Anyway, I have clipped off a corner of that fan shroud and now everything is hunky dory! Thanks for the tips, and I am going to keep my eye on one of those cool zalmans.

Justin

Comment

You can get a great deal on factory refurbed Zalmans on Ebay....
                Take care,
                Rick
                GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

I have a Zalman 9500led fitted to my ex38-ds4, see my post in your other thread for details.
                  (1) Gigabyte 3DAurora chassis - Gigabyte Ex38-DS4 - Xeon 3110 - Zalman CNPS9500 LED - 2x1GB PC2 8500 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2.0v (BL12864AL106A) - ThermalTake Cyclo RAM cooler - 2xMSI Radeon HD4670 - Corsair HX 620W - WD 36GB Raptor - Seagate 250GB (ST3250310AS) - Asus DRW 2014LIT - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)
                  (2) NZXT Apollo chassis - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - E8400 - Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion - 2x2GB PC2 8800 G.Skill 1.9v (F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI) - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT - Corsair HX 520W - Seagate 250GB (ST3250318AS) - LG DRW GH22NP20 - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Justin

Comment

Working...
                    X