Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DS4 questions

Hello Friends!

New to the forum, found it by searching for a solution to a problem with my EX38-DS4 board, which I think I worked out. I just wanted to run some things by you, if you don't mind. Please bear with me, as I am not tech heavy as far as over clocking type stuff goes, but I know enough to build my own machine. That is what I do every 4 years like clock work. I don't get into over clocking really, I just build a machine that will last me 4 years. I found that is an optimal time for the thing to be very useful and future proof up until the end of that 4 years when stuff starts failing. It has worked great so far! To that end, I just completed my latest build which includes the following components;

EX38-D24
    Intel Q6600
    2gigs corsair dominator 1066 RAM
    ATI HD3870 graphics
    Creative labs XFi extreme gamer sound
    thermaltake modular 750W ps
    thermaltake armor case
    AC7 cpu heat sink
    etc.

My first question is in regards to the heatsink. The AC7 was VERY close to the NB heatsink, but cleared it barely. However, right now, the fan shroud is resting against the heat sink fins of the corsair dominator ram chip in DIMM 1. This is putting slight stress on the chip, and presumably the slot. Although it is ok for now, I don't want to run 4 years like this... it probably won't last. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a heatsink that would clear both? My other two options include cutting off that portion of the fan shroud or using DIMMs 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3, which I tried once but had issues. I think it was relating to the stock voltage setting which I adjusted to the proper 2.1 volts, so I am going to try that again after posting this to see if it works. If it does, then problem solved. But I would still like some thoughts on a heatsink that would clear both the north bridge and dominator sinks.

My second question is about SATA II. I do in fact have a western digital 320GB SATA II HDD. Is there anything special I need to do to ensure that it is operating at the 3.0 transfer speed (all things considered)? Anything in BIOS, windows (XP Pro), etc? It was OEM so no manual and the WD website wasn't very clear on this, except to say that a certain jumper setting would cause a 3.0 drive to revert to 1.5. I have verified that my jumper is not set to that.

Lastly, I have a question about my RAM. As I understand it, this dominator ram is just factory over clocked ram to get 1066. I just want to know for sure if it is in fact running at 1066. I have never dealt with this kind of RAM until now. Before, it was what it was. Now I have 3 sets of data and I am not sure how to translate it all.

In the BIOS, my memory settings (unaltered) are;
    Memory Frequency 1066
    Standard Timing Control

CPUZ reveals under MEMORY;
    DRAM Freq 533.4
    Cas 5
    Ras-Cas 7
    RAS 7
    Cycle 24

and under SPD

JEDEC #1 JEDEC#2 EPP#1
    270hz 400hz 533.4hz
    4 5 5
    4 5 5
    4 5 5
    13 18 15
    1.8 1.8 2.1

Now, I think I understand what all of this is saying. But what exactly is all of this data telling me? Is the RAM running at the advertised clocks under EPP#1 or is there something I need to do to enable that? The tweaking guide had a hint to that effect but I do not have the memory enhance option that looks for EPPs in my BIOS, even under advanced settings (ctrl F1). To me, it looks like the BIOS is seeing it at 1066 but reporting its stock timings. CPUZ appears to see 533 (is the 1066 divided between the two?) but I don't understand what its telling me with the timings.

PC Wizard also has the same info as CPUZ.

WHEW ok that was long and full of questions! I am sorry if some of this is basic but again I never got into the over clocking stuff (but might now that I have started digging) and am hoping you wouldn't mind taking the time to help me out. Below are some pictures of my heatsink issue so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks so much for your time and patients!

Justin

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM.

Re: EX38-DS4 questions

I think you could Easily just replace that fan on the heatsink with a good 120MM one right? I mean it will fit and probably clear the ram better. If not yes, I would suggest using slots 2 and 4 if you would like to keep that heatsink

As for your ram, yes 533 is 1066. Your timings Post me a picture of your BIOS, I assume from how you said what you did, that you have the actual timings on auto and the board is setting them to 5-7-7, which you can easily adjust. Auto is not always best, And I personally suggest you manually set everything whether you are overclocking or not.

As for your SATA drive, You will not see 3GB/s without a actual $200-300 Raid card. But to ensure you are getting SATAII or 3GB/s max speed your onboard controller will allow you to get you are correct the jumper will limit to 1.5 so in order to be sure that is not happening you can remove the jumper all together, or do what I do and set it in a parallel direction so that it is NOT actually "Jumping" any of the pins

If you do want help fully getting things off of auto let me know, if not post just your MIT page and I will circle and show you what to set to what to get your timings to 5-5-5-15

Comment

Well, switching the RAM to DIMMs 2 and 4 failed again. I get a normal POST and beep then when it reads the RAM, it reads it correctly and stops and just sits there. Weird. I already submitted this to gigabyte as they are who advised me to change the voltage to 2.1. That did not solve the problem. Any other ideas? Perhaps it is because this RAM isn't on the approved RAM list. Frankly, their compatible RAM list leaves something to be desired which is why I strayed. If that is the source of my problem, so be it. If I ever need those DIMMs I will get the appropriate sticks then. For now though, things run smooth except for the heat sink stressing the DIMM 1 slot. So, back to my original question... any ideas for a heat sink that would clear it? :) Thanks!

Justin

Comment

Thanks for the informative response! Since I don't know how to take a screenshot in the bios, I just snapped a picture. Hopefully this will work. Thanks for your help!

Justin

Comment

Oh I should mention that I have a Rev 1.1 board with BIOS F3.

Justin

Comment

Yeah, that is likely the issue, voltage. You would also likely need some MCH voltage added like +.1-.15.

I would also turn OFF performance enhance turbo, set that to standard.

To use the 5-5-5 settings you would turn the Dram timing selectable to manual, and set those frist 4 to 5-5-5-15, and I would suggest 52-62 for refresh to act. The others you can leave on auto for now.

I suggest you also manually set ALL your voltages. Like so>>>>
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1 as you know
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<<For stability
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<<For stability
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V if no luck do +0.15] <<<For stability
            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] <<<< Set to your VID Or 1.4 or so for now. Unless you KNOW your CPU is stable at lower which it should be since you are not overclocking.

The MCH voltage is a MUST for 1066 speeds, and Turbo Should also be off/standard until you get things setup and learn how everything works together and then you can try it later, which Wont likely help any since you are already running pretty fast RAM. And when you do get it to work you will only see a SMALL change in benchmark points, no real world effects would be seen

Also, I highly suggest you manually set PCI freq also, to 100
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-11-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Awesome thanks! Going to go give em a try now. Will let you know how it goes. Probably won't swap the sticks to the other DIMMs tonight... gotta get to bed. But tomorrow when my new video card gets here I will do it all at once. Thanks again!

Justin

Comment

Ok.

Yeah, you just have to look at things like this.....You cant/shouldnt by a premium board and components and expect it to work like a stock Dell or something. Expensive boards generally need manually setup and are made for the NON Auto type of person. Of course some setups will work in auto, but most likely will not. Especially with High end hardware. Always best to set everything manually I think.

Good luck, and please take a look at the pinned guide a few more times as it is a great place to get a starting idea of how to get things out of auto. Even if you dont want to overclock at all, if will give you a idea/starting point of where to set things, then lower back down until you are stable and not overclocked. And actually there is a section of it before overclocking dealing with just setting a non overclocked baseline and getting it stable.

Main thing is with a $200-300 and a $300+ CPU, not to mention the rest of your items, you dont want all that running at the bare minimum anyway... And if you must, you at least do not want things on AUTO

Post back further tomorrow if you get time to play, and I will try to help you along

Comment

Oh no I don't look at it like a dell. :) that is exactly why I always build my own. :)

Anyway, I made the adjustments you suggested, and I will probably be playing around with more as I read and learn about it. But for now this will do.

The adjustments still did not allow me to use DIMMs 2 and 4. The same thing still happens to where the system hangs right after POST and reading the memory. I ran memtest of the memory in DIMMs 1 and 3 and everything checked out fine. I am going to run with the assumption that its just being finicky with this RAM. I really don't feel like tearing it all back down and RMAing the board since everything is working perfectly with DINN 1 and 3. If I ever needed to add more memory, I would just try the approved vendors list memory.

Unless of course you have anymore suggesions? :)

I am surprised no one has the same set up as me with a suggestion for a heat sink.

I think those Zalman's would clear but I would like confirmation.

Justin

Comment

Yeah, I just suggested a Zalman to you, I cant say for sure personally. I have seen several Peoples signatures saying they use that as their setup though, see here is one post #3>>>
                    Code:
                    http://www.computerforum.com/117283-xfx-geforce-8800gtx.html#post946044

I also see users saying it fits in newegg reviews>>>
                    Customer Reviews Of GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

So after seeing those I can almost say for sure it would fit, but you could always get the dimensions and measure it out. But normally newegg reviews are pretty accurate especially considering I see a few users there saying that, plus the sig's I have seen

Comment

Thanks for all of your help! Would you agree that the problem with slots 2 and 4 is simply a matter of the RAM and the board not playing well together there? I think that is reasonable considering the board does read the RAM there, it just doesn't move on. Which, I think could be explained by the fact that this RAM isn't on the approved vendors list. Do you agree?

Justin

Comment

Could be, Crucial sucks I think personally for that and several other reasons. Get some mushkins and be done with it!

Crucial is known for dying fast, and not working on one board while it does work on another board of the exact same model.

So, If you are one of those Crucial FTW people then you will likely have these problems for the rest of your life. If not, then switch brands now before you loose more time and money

Comment

Well that would be fine but I don't have crucial. :)

Justin

Comment

Crucial sucks I think personally
                            I would have to debate you on this as Crucial is owned by Micron and Micron supplies most of the IC's for all memory made by anyone.....I just saw a chart and most of Muskin's memory uses Micron IC's
                            Take care,
                            Rick
                            GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Stock voltage for a Q6600 (G0) I think is 1.325, so putting it at 1.25 manually is too low, unless you find that after testing you can run it stable at that low voltage. So if you're setting manual voltages, I wouldn't set it any lower than what the stock spec. is for the stock speed.

Have you tried just one stick in the 2-4 DIMM slots? Try booting up with one stick (setting the required voltage adjustment manually for that RAM). Also set the System Memory Mulitplier (FSB strap) manually to give you a 1066 speed. There may be a couple you need to try that will equate to that speed. Then save to CMOS, re-boot the machine and see if it boots up. If it does, put the second stick into the other DIMM slot and try booting up again.

If a board works ok with DIMMS 1 & 3, but not 2 and 4, then it is generally either a board fault, a BIOS problem or a combination of both. The problem is definitely not with the RAM, unless it has been found to be faulty through rigorous testing.

I certainly wouldn't want the fan pushing up against the RAM. You may want to consider a CPU sink with a top down fan, although the NB sink may limit the size you can get. But if you can solve the DIMM 2-4 problem than obviously your existing sink/fan will be ok.
                              X38-DS4 BIOS F3, CPU Quad 6600 G0, Thermalright XP90 Cooler,
                              OCZ SLI-Edition PC-6400 2 x 2gb, Leadtek 7900GT w/Accelero S1,
                              Samsung 500gb HDD, Creative X-fi Audio, Pioneer DVD, MSI CD/DVD
                              Corsair HX-620 PSU, Thermaltake Xaser Case w/4 fans, Dell 1905P 19" Monitor,
                              Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Working...
                              X