Potential GA-P35-DS3L Compatibility Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential GA-P35-DS3L Compatibility Problems

Hi there, I have no hair left after 4 weeks of bluescreens. So any help would be appreciated.

First My (wanted) Specs:

SonataIII case w/ 500w PS
    GA-P35-DS3L
    Q6600 quad core
    Seagate 500gb HD
    PNY 8800gt
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066mhz

--------------------------------------------------

First Install:
    Vista 64 business
    4x1 gig RAM
    Default Bios Settings

This setup runs for three or four days, then I start to get blue screens.. first while playing audiosurf & warcraft III, then in firefox, windows explorer etc.

I do some research and find out that people are having a lot of problems with this board and RAM in conjunction. Load Memtest up and sure enough, it's erroring. After playing with my voltages & timings I pass an overnight Memtest after downclocking to 800mhz.

--------------------------------------------------

Second Install:
    Vista 64 business
    4x1 gig RAM (downclocked to 800mhz)
    Tweeked Bios Settings (overvoltage +4)

Same thing.. After a few days, it starts to bluescreen. Thinking maybe it's a driver incompatibility. Try different video card drivers (as recommeneded by some on forums) and still blue screening. I Figure maybe its vista. I also flashed the bios in there.

---------------------------------------------------

Third Install:

XP64
    4x1gig RAM
    Tweeked Bios Settings (overvoltage +4)

Bluescreens (after a couple days). I get Everest to check my temperatures and nothing is overheating. Back to Memtest to check 2 dimms at a time.
    First set: A few errors in a 14 hour test (default bios settings)
    Second set: No Errors in a 11 hour test (default bios settings). I figure it's the one set of RAM. This leads to:

---------------------------------------------------

Fourth Install
    XP64
    2x1gig RAM
    Default bios settings.

Installed windows on Thursday. Been playing games, burning dvds working in photoshop no problem. And then this morning.. another bluescreen.

----------------------------------------------------

After some of these blue screens, windows won't load up at all, it just restarts (safe, repair, normal) and running memtest reveals a lot of errors (100000+)

Is there something simple I am overlooking? Or am I doomed to buy a different set of "compatible" RAM for this motherboard? (or a motherboard that is compatible with my RAM).

Thanks for any help!

Re: Potential GA-P35-DS3L Compatibility Problems

Crucial is often known for needing a RMA (So I Never buy it) But that sounds like what you are needing for sure with all those errors.

I know crucial works fine in GA boards, I just tested and used for a while for testing purposes some Lanfest Crucials. Worked fine at 800 and 1000 for a week

Also, what version of Memtest86+ are you using? If it is 2.0, get 2.1 as 2.0 has some errors and was quickly updated

But, Lets see if I do see any errors with your settings. Copy and paste back your settings
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. My version of the Ultimate Boot Disk only has Memtest+ 1.7 I'll make a new one tonight.

Settings:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
      Performance Enhance_______________[Standard]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ 4
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 7 ____ 4
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____7 ____4
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)________24 ____ 12
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ Auto
      Rank Write to READ Delay______4 _____ Auto
      Write to Precharge Delay______8 _____ Auto
      Refresh to ACT Delay________68 ______ 42
      Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ Auto
      Static tRead Value____________4___ __6
      Static tRead Phase Adjust______0______1

System Voltage Control____ [Auto]
      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal]
      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]
      Normal CPU Vcore _________1.31250v

My Vcore is 1.268 V
      DDR18V is 2.16V
      +3.3V 3.328V
      +12V 12.112V

The computer starts up now and I can get into windows. Seems like the ram needed to chillout a bit after the BSOD. Thanks again.

Comment

First I see a issue right away>>>>>
        Static tRead Value____________4___ __6
        Static tRead Phase Adjust______0______1

That 6 and 1!!! If you use a 1 on phase adjust it makes the tRead above it -1 most often. So then that would be trying to run at 5, surprised you even get that to boot. I would be surprised if you got it to boot with 7 + 1 Making tRead 6. I suggest you try 7 for tRead (which is Performance Level of you ram)

And then go ahead and put it back to 1066, close not exactly at 1066 either, little above or below. Then get as much of everything else out of AUTO as you can for now, the especially voltages. You can leave those subtimings you have on auto for now there. I would add + .1 to MCH and FSB when trying 1066 for your ram, DDR2 voltage I would try to keep around 2.1 so you crucial's dont need a RAM so +0.3V

And that ram, as you know, may or may not run at 4-4-4-X at 1066 timings.

Are you planning a CPU overclock? If so, let me know to what CPU freq, and I will post back to you a full starting point with the above table at high settings you can work down from

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

Do you think my RAM could be overheating? I can't load windows at all after a blue screen (I get instant blue screens when loading in any mode) until some time after and memtest goes crazy with errors (100000+).

Plus I don't have a front fan blowing over top of it.. *hangs head in shame*

Comment

Could be 2.2 is pretty hot, and crucial has very thin heatspreaders. Anything over 2.1 I would always have a fan on. But you said it wont work at 1.8 either right?

Comment

I know my Ballistix need and want 2,2V to work right.
              Take care,
              Rick
              GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

I doubt that! I have used several for tests, tracers and ballistix rarely need even 2.1 to run at rated speeds. Unless you do not have subtimings set properly. And 2.2 will have you calling crucial to join the RMA group very quickly. Especially with no cooling

Just a heads up to all who do not believe me, Just google crucial Died or crucial RMA and read thru some of the threads you see and you will find it almost always comes down to overvolting, and even some die undervolted often.

2.1 is all you need for sure as long as you do not have incorrect subtimings (Such as trying to run trd (Performance level=Static tRead of 6) then 2.1 will be more then plenty

I just fully tested some lanfests and some ballistix at BOTH sets ran 800 and 1066 at 2.1 or under fully stable

Comment

Hi again.

I adjusted the RAM settings and did 34 passes of Memtest to which it threw no errors. The RAM is only warm to the touch now while running. Again, it worked well for 1 - 2 days, then another blue screen.

I analyzed the dump file and this time is said NDIS.sys could be the problem. So I went into Safe Mode w/o networking and didn't have any crashes day. Then I disabled the onboard nic and it worked fine for 36ish hours. But I woke up this morning to find another bluescreen. Tried to restart and it kicked into another bluescreen on windows startup (like before)

I turned the power off for 10 minutes and restarted and got into windows, where the dump file gave me another memory could be corrupted error.

Could I be dealing with a bummed board?

My dump files can be found here: http://www.webshift.ca/minidumps.zip . 0411 and 0413 happened before adjusting the RAM settings. 0414 and 0415 happened before disabling the NIC and 0417 happened after.

Thanks

- Kris

Comment

I can feel your frustration. It does seem that Ballistix memory is getting more failure rates these days and more failures then other brands right now too. From all my readings the problem appears to be at least somewhat related to overheating. Why don't you try actively cooling those tracers to see if you can get it stable. Get something like a Thermaltake Cyclo ram cooler, it has two 40mm fans that sit right on top of the sticks. Retails here in Australia for about $15-20. Might be worth a try. It may or may not solve the problem, if your tracers are prone to overheating then they are probably going to die prematurely anyway, no matter what you do. But at least some active ram cooling might get you to run stable long enough to give you the confidence that the problem is just the ram and not the motherboard or the OS or something else.

I think active ram cooling is a good idea anyway and can help keep components around the memory cooler too.
                    (1) Gigabyte 3DAurora chassis - Gigabyte Ex38-DS4 - Xeon 3110 - Zalman CNPS9500 LED - 2x1GB PC2 8500 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2.0v (BL12864AL106A) - ThermalTake Cyclo RAM cooler - 2xMSI Radeon HD4670 - Corsair HX 620W - WD 36GB Raptor - Seagate 250GB (ST3250310AS) - Asus DRW 2014LIT - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)
                    (2) NZXT Apollo chassis - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - E8400 - Xigmatek S1283 Red Scorpion - 2x2GB PC2 8800 G.Skill 1.9v (F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI) - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT - Corsair HX 520W - Seagate 250GB (ST3250318AS) - LG DRW GH22NP20 - XP Pro SP3 (32bit)

Comment

I hear this fixes that error very quickly, remove the driver for your nic and install the one from the manufacturers site not the Gigabyte one, then it should work fine.

If not you can read this, and request the driver/fix from MS
                      STOP 0x0000001D or STOP 0x000000A Stop Error Occurs in Ndis.sys

Comment

Working...
                      X