Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM recommendation needed

Hi,
    I'm going to buy the EX38-DQ6 or the X48-DQ6 next week and I would like some help.
    I'm going to use the E8500 CPU but I can't decide which MB to select the EX38 or the X48. Any input will be appreciated.
    Also I would like your help selecting the correct RAM. I'm going for 4GB DDR2 but should it be 6400 or 8500 and from which company??

Thank you in advance
    Costas

Re: RAM recommendation needed

I Prefer Mushkin's but ram selection is really up to you, personal preference concerning warranty, RMA, and overall brand satisfaction. As they are all pretty much very similar.

Are you planning to overclock at all? If so I suggest you get the 8400, and 6400 Ram of a good brand.

Comment

X48-DQ6 is better

and ram...try it

Comment

MY MB love my G-Skill PC8000 2x2G stick got em @ Newegg for less than $100 they rated for 1000Mhz
        Take care,
        Rick
        GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Janus Gigabyte needs to update their memory lists, lots of other brands of ram works fine and they are not on the list

Comment

Hi CostasV,
            You say you're going for 4GB of memory;would that be 2x matched pairs of 1GB sticks, 1x a matched quad of 1GB sticks, or 2x 2GB sticks?
            In my experience with the Gigabyte x38 board, you you will not achieve stability using 2x matched pairs, even running 1066MHz memory at 800MHz; this is regardless of which bios revision you have, and regardless of the make of memory. With some makes of memory the system may run for months; but will then spontaneously reboot, and go into an endless reboot cycle from which you can only recover by removing one pair; thereafter the system will not boot with all four slots occupied, or will always crash quickly. I don't know why the system behaviour changes over time in this way; but I guess that the characteristics of the memory modules change with use until the board can't cope. I would not trust the x48 board to be any different.
            (The ASUS x48 board can also fail to boot with the 2x matched pairs of 1GB combination; but that does excuse either company for not advising people of this problem.)
            I have not tested the 2x 2GB option for long enough to know if this is completely stable - it really should be.
            Beth

Comment

Better for stability either way to not try to run 1066, but below or just above. Just a tip

Comment

Mushkins good, got 8gb running on my x48 dq6. PC8000 good value if you can find it.

Comment

Newegg has the PC8000's Redlines in stock for anyone looking for those

Comment

Working...
                  X