Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please: GA-P35C-DS3 will not post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: GA-P35C-DS3 will not post...

Hi all: 1st post here and - surprise, surprise - I'm looking for help.

As the title suggests, I'm having a spot of bother getting my rig to post.

Up until yesterday, my rig was ticking along nicely. My CPU is a Q6600 2.40 GHz G0 SLACR which I had running at 3.0 GHz (FSB 333 X 9).

I read the guide re overclocking so decided to give it a go (baby steps: nothing outrageous) and put my settings as suggested in the guide.

When I pressed F10 to save my settings, my rig did the old start/restart a couple of times (as it does when you do any changes to the settings in any major way) and then re-booted. Instead of showing the new CPU speed on the post screen, the CPU info that was displayed was the original stock settings of 2.40 GHz.

Hmmm... I went into the BIOS again and followed the steps once more then F10, exit, start/restart: same story: 2.40 GHz stock clock.

"Stuff it", I thought: 3.00 GHz served me well for the 2 months I've had my setup; why be greedy? So I put all my BIOS back the way it was before (silly me: I never saved a hard copy to my USB stick but I had the settings written down so NBD); however, when I exited it was the same stock 2.40 GHz on the post screen.

I reset the CMOS to default (screwdriver on the pins, you know the drill) and switched off the pc at the mains then went to bed with the intention of setting up the BIOS with a fresh head today.

When I got round to it today and seeing the inside was a bit dusty (also wanting to improve the airflow & temps inside my case), I did a re-shuffle of my rig's components prior to setting the BIOS up the way I had it (3 GHz).

I kept 1 stick of RAM in the mobo to allow me to enter the BIOS and adjust the RAM voltage to 2.1 V (my RAM likes the voltage to be 2.1V in order to run properly and wont operate all 4GB unless this is done).

Now this is where my query starts for real ("At last!" I hear you cry ):

My mobo wont post. My rig powers up; all the fans are running; there's none of the restart-loop problem some people seem to have; my monitor just sits there in standby mode instead of going into full power and showing the post screen.

There's no post screen; I've unplugged all my HDD's from the mobo, used 1 stick of RAM in each of the 4 DDR2 sockets, checked them in my brother's rig (all working); my GPU's fine; I just can't get the post screen to show.

My specs are as follows:

GA-P35C-DS3 rev. 2.0 (F5 BIOS) mobo

Q6600 2.40 GHz G0 SLACR CPU with Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler

EVGA 8800GT 512 MB GPU with stock cooler

4 GB GeIL DDR2 PC6400 (800 MHz) RAM

1 x Samsung 500 GB SATA HDD

1 x Seagate 150 GB SATA HDD

1 x Seagate 200 GB IDE HDD

1 x Sony CD/DVD-RW drive

Logitech G15 USB keyboard

Logitech MX1000 USB mouse

Samsung 19" LCD monitor

Corsair 520W modular PSU

Antec 900 case

I hope someone out there can help me... I miss playing Armed Assault so much

All thanks in advance,

Egg

Re: Help please: GA-P35C-DS3 will not post...

Have you cleared the CMOS again since the issue? I would try a reinstall of the system, on a seperate disk if you need to.

Other then that, you have done everything I would do, before a RMA

As for your attempt at overclocking and the reboot cycle, that is likely because you needed more FSB, MCH and CPU voltages and possibly some memory timings were out of whack.

But in the end, as you said you tried to go back to default and that dont even post.

Do you have a older GFX card you can try? And do you have a case speaker plugged in, if not you should get one and see what the error beep is

Comment

Thanks for the reply LSD, much appreciated.

I have an X1950 Pro that I'll chuck in later this afternoon and I'll see what that does. Unfortunately I don't have a case speaker so I'm unable to diagnose via beep patterns; foolish, I know.

Comment

Well I would try that, and then be on my way out the door for a speaker! Unless you want to RMA when you may not need to. You can get one on ebay for a 3-4 $$

Comment

I'm at the stage where I'm convinced an RMA is the solution; I contacted Gigabyte's UK support with details of the problem and I'll wait for them to get back to me.

Thanks again

Comment

Well with a case speaker which is very cheap you may find the solution quickly and not need RMA, but that is up to you

Comment

Working...
            X