ga-p35-ds3l sytem and corruted files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-p35-ds3l sytem and corruted files

When I first put my system together everything was working well.

Then after 2 weeks of decent use it turned off while I was online and when it booted back up I kept getting, what appears to be, a brief blue screen of death then it would turn off and on then the same thing while xp is loading(when the xp logo is on the screen and the progress bar on the bottom goes across a couple of times). then on the next reboot it ran scan disk... then it reloaded and all was fine. I didnt want this to happen again so I check my bios settings and thought it was the ram since the voltage reading was off. the ram is meant to be run at 2.2v but the bios said it was running at 2.06v. so I tried adding +4v to get the 2.2v recommended. but it would read the 2.06v unless I added +5volts then my bios would read 2.14v. I was scared that i would fry my ram ...

so I tested it with memtest86:
    -------------------
    timing:5-5-5-15
    ram voltage:+5v
    mch over voltage: +0.1v
    fsb over voltage: +0.1v
    bios reading of ram voltage read:2.14v

I a few errors then memtest frose.
    -------------------
    timing:5-7-7-24
    I set everything to automatic.
    bios reading of ram voltage read:2.06v

no errors on the default 1-8 tests
    passed
    --------------------------

I also did a surface scan of my hardrive and it passed

so everyhting was great, I played games, I laughed, I surfed the web then on the third day I was working on an essay for school(thank god i was saving to my Ipod). Half way through the essay my computer's monitor flickered and then my computer turned of and on. I also had utorrent running, I wonder if that had anything to do with it... but then again my old p4 system had no problem with it. when it booted up it would do the same cycle of half way os load then reboot like before. I ran scan disk and I rebooted. It told me system.exe was unable to load and windows couldnt run. I replaced the files and now my windows is semi back. I noticed my theme is different and things are missing... might be because of the recovery files are not the same.

I think it may be a failing power supply, but I am not sure how to test that or if it is the motherboard.. or ram may need re-adjusting. i am so confused and over the 30 day refund limit.
    -------------------------
    specs:
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065 - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail

diomond ati hd2600xt
    ----------------------------

please help me.
    Last edited by reaperhatch; 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM. Reason: aww I spelled currupted incorrectly and cannot correct.

Re: ga-p35-ds3l sytem and corruted files

Well, I was going to go into a long schpeel over things, but then I seen crucial, I see MORE then any other company RMA threads for crucials. And it is because of Voltages.

What BIOS are you using, +.5 should be 2.3ish, I see a small variance often but it should be a little above or below what you set it at.

Since you was having voltage issues I would suggest the first thing you should try to do is borrow for a second another stick or 2 of ram, set it up properly in your bios and see if the reboot cycle is gone. Crucial's die OFTEN because of too high of voltages, and to be honest, that is usually when people are trying the "Default/Rated" voltages. Most users I know say the ram will run fine undervolted and live longer

Crucial is a great company, and will RMA you right away, I would suggest you try to get a refund and go with a different company, unless you are one of those Crucial FTW people. HAHA

Mushkin, G. Skill Make some great Ram as well, and Mushkin service is just as great as Crucial, I cant speak of G. Skill as I do not know how theirs is.

Let me know your thoughts about all that, and I can suggest further testing if you cant get different ram or dont want to.

Comment

First of all, thanks for the quick reply Lsdmeasap.

I am using bios version f7, board rev 2.0

So even if the ram passes memtest86 it could still be the problem? It also seems to be stable for a couple of days then dies... I was imagining it was something like the power supply since it cost me $44.00.
      I was hoping the problem wasn't the ram since It is fast in benchmarks and I cant get a refund. But I did order some gskill ram 800 that seems to have realy good reviews on newegg:
      G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

It's slower, but if it solves my problem I will except it. it should be in today and I will test it as soon as I get out of work.

I have lurked around the threads on the crucial ram and my mobo issue. Do you think the ram voltage reading being inconsistent with the ram over voltage is common and not an indication of a faulty board?

thanks again for your reply

Comment

Well since you say 40$ PSU, then that could be a huge issue as well.

Please copy and paste (Twice if you want, one working, and one that isnt) your BIOS settings for MIT here for me. Maybe I can see a sub timing or something that is causing it to crash on your after sometime. I mean, you say it works for a while right? And then not?

Just so you know, which I am sure you do 6400 ram IS going to be slower then 8500, but 8500 is actually overclocked 6400 ram anyway, so depending on which G.Skill set you got (Red or blue) you will likely be able to run it at 1066 anyway with 555 timings

Please, copy and paste back, and remove anything extra that is not in your BIOS.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
        Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
        Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
        Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
        Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
        Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Comment

I actually just popped the new gskill memory(red) in. so these are the timings with the g skill on.

_________________________________--
          mit screen

CPU Host Clock Control_ [disabled]
          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [auto]
          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [auto]
          DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [auto]
          (even though timings are all in auto I noticed the numbers on the left column of the list you gave are different on the bios left column list... do those count?)
          CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ 5
          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ 5
          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____5
          Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ 15
          ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ 3
          Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ 3
          Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ 6
          Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ 40
          Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ 3
          Static tRead Value_______________ 7
          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 29

System Voltage Control____ [auto]
          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [normal]
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [normal]
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]
          CPU Voltage Control_______ [normal]
          normal cpuvcore___________[1.35000v]

pc health screen

vcor____________1.332V
          ddr18v __________1.8v
          +3.3v___________3.360v
          +12v____________11.478v

Should I give the crucial another try?
          these are screen caps i took before I swapped the ram to gskill

What program should I use to test overall stability? I wanted to try orthos by using the link in your overclock thread but all I get is a roadrunner(my isp) page saying it could not be found.

It is true that it would run fine for a while,the first time a week with lots of gaming, second it lasted 3 days till it rebooted by itself, corrupting the system.

Many thanks for replying.
          Last edited by reaperhatch; 04-03-2008, 01:33 AM. Reason: I forgot to answer a question.

Comment

No the numbers on the left are system Auto settings for some old sticks I had, just left them in the post as I have it save, and copy and paste it often. Guess maybe I should edit them out.

Are you wanting to overclock your CPU? If so, tell me what to, and I will post back to you a starting point, and also do you have a good cooling fan on it or not?

Orthos (I updated the link in the guide as well...Thanks for the heads up)>>>>

I would leave this on auto
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 29. I use 1 for making tRead really 6 when you set 7, but that is for way better rated RAM, and usually does not work unless you work on it for a while (Reboot cycles)

For now, I suggest you take everything below I have set, and work down from there, Main thing is to get out of Auto, sometimes it is way to much, or not near enough. This is settings I would manually enter, for a non overclocked setup

CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Manual]

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [NOT Auto, whatever is close to 1066 for now 3.something]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15
            ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 (3-4)

Rank Write to READ Delay______3 (9-11 is what you want) If Memset does not match what you set in BIOS you need it to be 9-11 in Memset. Usually 4 in BIOS =11 if you have this issue

Write to Precharge Delay______6 (3-5)
            Refresh to ACT Delay________42 (try 36-40)
            Read to Precharge Delay_______4 (3-5)
            Static tRead Value_______________ 7 (7-10)
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+ 0.2 = 2.0V]<<< at least do +.1 for 1.9, you ram is rated 1.8-2.0
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [normal]
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [normal]
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]
            CPU Voltage Control_______ [normal]<<<< Manually set this, to something you know is stable and are comfortable using, AUTO is not good here
            normal cpuvcore___________[1.35000v]

Remember, this is for default. Not overclocked, you would need alot of changes to voltages not being on auto for sure to start overclocking. Let me know what you want to try to do and I can make a better suggestion. What I put in Parenthesis is best, starting higher first, then lower as you test, one thing at a time

As for crucial's, I would only suggest that if you are comfortable waiting on a new set every so often. You can get better G.Skills, tighter timed 6400's or higher speed rated ones such as the 8500's, but the blue 444 sets will do 1066 at 555 timings. I see in reviews the set you have now will run at 444-12 for 800.

I use and suggest Mushkin, but they are a little bit more usually. The HP Blue sets are the "Midway" of their ram, silver is low end. They can all do 1000 usually with 555 timings though so it is up to you, and what you really want to do with yout board/cpu/overclock

What PSU do you have anyway? I should suggest you keep the ram you have and save for a better PSU for sure probably. Even you suggested that could be the issue, and with it only being 40$ I have no doubt it isnt that great. 80-120 is a nice decent one. But I cannot offer a suggestion for a good brand of those, you will just need to look thru newegg reviews. I use Ultra X2 750W and everyone says they suck, Same as they said for the old xconnects Never gave me any issues for years, and neither has my 2 x2 750's. So I dont have the best suggestion there, but surely you do know someone or can look around and find what would be good in your price range
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-03-2008, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Its great when people care when you have a problem expecially when I am confused.

(gskill memory)I ran memtest86+ it passed the 8 test passes. When I start memtest it does nothing until I go to the menu(c) and choose default settings test(1) then presscontinue(0) is that normal and did i do enough tests?.. it also says it has a test 9 which I have not run. should I?

I will change the setting like you suggested. I also want to run orthos to test stability. I also have everest ultimate... should I try their stability test also?

do these stress tests time limit themselves or do I start it and let it run for a while till i believe it is stable. If I have to choose the time limit of the stress test, what time do you recommend?

this is my psu.(it may have been on sale when i purchased since price is higher now) Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply - Retail
              it seems to have good reviews.

thanks again
              Last edited by reaperhatch; 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I always run the original test, the one that it starts with once, Did you download 2.1?

If not get that version 2.0 has some errors.

Then I do C then 1, 3, to choose test then I do 20 or so passes of test 2, then I do 10 or so passes of test 5. If it is still stable, then you are ok. Then I get in windows and run orthos blend test if it run for 4-8 hours you are probably pretty stable. I say 4 at least because if is is going to crash it will be within 20 minutes, or close to 4 hours. Then if it is stable and you have time and want to run it, 24 hours will let you know 100% stable

But yeah, after a certain point you can pretty much tell things are stable

Yeah, I guess that one may not be too bad, you said 40 so I thought you meant a cheap 40, that is 60 now, and it seems to have good reviews there. I could look it up at some major review sites and see how they rated it if you want? Let me know

Comment

Working...
                X