Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-p35-ds3l Rev 2 - Freezing after (Or during) os startup

Hey all

I just recently instructed family members of mine on what parts to get to start a new computer the budget way - picking up the fewest current-generation components required - and both such parts arrived.

A Intel E6750 C2D and a Gigabyte P35-DS3L (Rev2) board. (F7 Bios)

I paired this up with all currently working parts;
    A 500w FSP PSU
    -Also tested with a 400w FSP PSU
    A generic ATI PCI-E card
    -Also tested with a eVGA nVidia 8600gt
    Two 512mb sticks of PC2-4200 HYS64T64000HU-3.7-A (Qimonda/Infineon)
    -Also tested with Two 1gb sticks of PC2-4200 (Corsair)
    The existing IDE HDD and DVD drives
    -Also tested without

After a bit, I had everything working well - XP was just starting the second part of the install process and there were no signs of problems. Then it froze. Numlock would not toggle, mouse would not move.

After this, I tried a Ubuntu live cd. After asking for a clock correction before reaching the desktop, it froze each time I tried it. The same place.

Then, I tried a couple random utilities on Hiren's boot cd. These locked up while loading drivers.

Going back to basics, I tried memtest. No errors at all, but around pass 13 it simply stopped. The flashing cursors at the top of the screen continued merrily blinking, but nothing at all further happened. Couldn't interact with the menus and the test seemed to have stalled.

But the odd one is this: I tried a USB Damn Small Linux install, and it boots to the desktop. Just after popping up the welcome HTML page, input locks up again. One time of six tries I could move the mouse (And only the mouse responded, both mouse and kb are PS2), but that soon stopped working as well. All other times, the uptime monitor on the desktop continued to count up, indicating that the entire system wasn't frozen.... Just the inputs.

Does anyone have suggestions for what the problem might be, or what I can do to perhaps pinpoint the problem? If I've missed any information, please point it out and I'll provide it.

Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by Tem; 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM.

Re: GA-p35-ds3l Rev 2 - Freezing after (Or during) os startup

Well, finding the one post on the internet that jogged my attention to the specifications page for the motherboard, I realized that the ram was too slow. Slipping a pair of DDR2-800's in set it all right.

-Fixed-

Comment

Re: GA-p35-ds3l Rev 2 - Freezing after (Or during) os startup

How do you have the disks setup in the bios, and on what plugs on the board? And what are your MIT settings? It would be easier for you to copy and paste back your MIT table here (If something is missing add it in, if there is extra remove it)>>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
      Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
      Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
      Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
      Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
      Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

I dont have a advanced one, but if you want a picture of your bios pages would help m have a guess

Comment

Working...
      X